What's new

Unexpected Christmas gift.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Got this today from a friend from Nepal when we were both in the Dallas area.

A Bear Pledge compound bow with an adjustable 40-70 pound draw weight with a draw length of 21"-31" which is about perfect for me. It's a hell of a lot lighter and shorter than my old PSE heavy compound. Not near as expensive either. I'll have to try it out.

I still want a Bear stick bow.

DSC_0003 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Quite the machine! Archery is good for the soul.

Nepal, eh. Sure he didn't gift you a khukuri as well?

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nepal, eh. Sure he didn't gift you a khukuri as well?

AA

Oh that would have been nice. :w00t:

I saw on the wallyworld website they had the Bear listed for $388. Say What? I found them online at a sporting goods store for $178. My PSE was about $400 or so when it was new.

The Bear is shorter and handier than my old PSE.

DSC_0003 (2).JPG

It wasn't too long ago that I didn't have much problem pulling my PSE that was set at 65 pounds draw weight, but I had it dialed down to 45 pounds awhile back just to make it easier to play with. The tag on the Bear says it's set at 70 pounds draw weight from the factory and it is tough. I reduced the draw weight the max 4 turns of the screws that's recommended on the sticker and it's still a bit tough. I don't have a draw weight scale so I think I'll take it to the archery shop and have it set at 40 pounds. I'll also see what kind of mid-priced release they have as the Bear is set up for one, and also pick up a half dozen arrows with the correct spine stiffness for about 40-45 pound draw weight.

If I remember right Texas had a minimum draw weight of 45 or 50 pounds for deer hunting when I was using a bow, but I looked yesterday and they have no minimum draw weight now. Crossbows are also legal now for anyone and not just handicapped people that can't use a regular bow. Firearms season is open here until January 6th, but of course you can also use muzzleloaders or archery equipment then.

I'm waiting on another buck to show up at my pond. I don't have an antlerless tag.

dsc_0038-2-jpg.930029

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Bows have changed quite a lot from the old fashioned Longbow that we see on the TV in the old movies. So sophisticated now. Works of art.

Oh that would have been nice. :w00t:

I saw on the wallyworld website they had the Bear listed for $388. Say What? I found them online at a sporting goods store for $178. My PSE was about $400 or so when it was new.

The Bear is shorter and handier than my old PSE.

View attachment 937797

It wasn't too long ago that I didn't have much problem pulling my PSE that was set at 65 pounds draw weight, but I had it dialed down to 45 pounds awhile back just to make it easier to play with. The tag on the Bear says it's set at 70 pounds draw weight from the factory and it is tough. I reduced the draw weight the max 4 turns of the screws that's recommended on the sticker and it's still a bit tough. I don't have a draw weight scale so I think I'll take it to the archery shop and have it set at 40 pounds. I'll also see what kind of mid-priced release they have as the Bear is set up for one, and also pick up a half dozen arrows with the correct spine stiffness for about 40-45 pound draw weight.

If I remember right Texas had a minimum draw weight of 45 or 50 pounds for deer hunting when I was using a bow, but I looked yesterday and they have no minimum draw weight now. Crossbows are also legal now for anyone and not just handicapped people that can't use a regular bow. Firearms season is open here until January 6th, but of course you can also use muzzleloaders or archery equipment then.

I'm waiting on another buck to show up at my pond. I don't have an antlerless tag.

dsc_0038-2-jpg.930029
That’s an old PSE. Is it a signed by old Pete version? I had one of those in the 90s.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That’s an old PSE. Is it a signed by old Pete version? I had one of those in the 90s.

Nope...I don't see a signature on the old PSE anywhere. I got that one sometime in the '90s also.

I tried to look up the Bear but I didn't find much. What I did find people said if you get one at the $180 price range it is a sleeper. With the 40-70lb. draw weight it's perfectly capable of being a good hunting bow. I'll take it by the archery shop in a few days and have the draw weight and draw length adjusted and pick up a release.

Last edited:
Archery is good for the soul. If you are looking for a good recurve, one the best makers is in Jacksonville, TX. I bought my PSE Brute and my son's Mission Craze in Jacksonville. My buddy is a PSE Pro and he sent me his old Vendetta(Smokin' fast bow!) for a song. I have been an instructor with USA Archery, but will let it lapse this year. Archery is a fantastic act of discipline, with immediate feedback.
Where in NE Texas are you?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Archery is good for the soul. If you are looking for a good recurve, one the best makers is in Jacksonville, TX. I bought my PSE Brute and my son's Mission Craze in Jacksonville. My buddy is a PSE Pro and he sent me his old Vendetta(Smokin' fast bow!) for a song. I have been an instructor with USA Archery, but will let it lapse this year. Archery is a fantastic act of discipline, with immediate feedback.
Where in NE Texas are you?

About 20 miles N.E. of Paris...1 1/2 miles west of Red River county line. Pin Hook area...a nice rural area with lots of wildlife.

A friend of Dad's had a nice recurve when I was a kid, but I don't remember what brand...I think it was a Bear. It gave me fits trying to string it until he showed me how do do it by bracing it against my foot and using my knee on the riser.

I'd like to try a longbow. Archery does take technique. I've always been a finger shooter so it will be interesting to try a release. I'm not worried...I've never been much good anyways. :biggrin1:

My next door neighbor shoot a longbow. She used to compete. Heck, one of the youth from my church made a longbow and sold it in an Ag/FFA Auction. If there is anything I can do to help you get going, let me know.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My next door neighbor shoot a longbow. She used to compete. Heck, one of the youth from my church made a longbow and sold it in an Ag/FFA Auction. If there is anything I can do to help you get going, let me know.

I will let you know. A friend of mine made a longbow from some bois d'arc. Crude, but it worked. I have a bois d'arc tree (thorny things) but I'm not making a handmade bow. Have to cut down the tree or saw off a proper limb.

Thanks for the offer of help...I know I'll need it.

Now...I'm off to make my own arrows. :lol:

Top Bottom