What's new

Unchosen's Lime Veg!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I can only believe there is nothing but good in Pinaud's product line.

Clubman, Special Reserve- these products are immortal, to be used as long as Man scrapes sharp metal over his face.

Then there is the Lilac Vegetal.

Without bashing it (further), must say I am not chosen. It's just too powdery-woman's deodorant-urinal-cakey-something for me. But I have this 12 oz. bottle of the stuff ... and it's not in rotation.

Some time ago, I decanted an ounce of Veg into a 2 oz. glass bottle. Given time, I thought its properties would change. They did not. Improve, anyway.

Lime Sec is another Pinaud "almost." Great scent, no hang time at all.

So. Green being green, I threw some Lime Sec into that ounce of Veg and added a few drops of glycerin.

Voila! Synergy is the word. The mix, Unchosen's Lime Veg, is a success!

Though it goes on with a little of the Veg's urinal cake/industrial aroma, that quickly dissipates. The pleasant Lime Sec is there too, and the few drops of glycerin not only improve the loiter time of the aftershave mix, it gives you that good face feel that Aqua Velva has. Not quite moisturizing, but not drying either. The regular Pinaud's can be a little drying and benefit, IMHO, by a few drops of glycerin.

Best of all, you can try this this mix without commitment. Splash on some Veg, and, holding your nose, splash on some Lime Sec. I did this first to confirm there was something to it.

Use up that bottle of Veg, I say; thank me later.

You knew it had some use all along, didn't you? In the end, it's a Pinaud product, and like an awkward and ugly cousin (smelly, too), must be acknowledged as part of the family.

AA

Good deal! What kind of glycerin do you use? I have a bunch of vegetable glycerin, and I've been debating adding some to my Pinaud AS.

Also, I'm wearing Veg today! :Veg: Chosen!

I will have to try this. I like the veg, but not so much Lime SEC. Maybe together they will be awesome!
Thanks for the idea [MENTION=102184]Ad Astra[/MENTION]!

As one of the unchosen, thanks. I'm already looking in my local barber supply's catalog to see if they stock Lime Sec Eau de Cologne.

They do!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Booyah!

Space Cadet: it's regular vegetable glycerin from Walmart. Just a few drops or it will get sticky ... but I've noticed that Aqua Velva uses it; other AS makers use castor oil. I have both for use as uberlather components. To me, glycerin is the better for AS mixing.

Jaidmaster: Lime Sec (or any citrus) is wonderful to me: my wife's drink is Cuba Libre (coke, rum, lime) so I associate lime with a good time. If you LIKE Veg, this is a tropical variant ...

Dog Whisperer: I got my Lime Sec from Amazon. The only local Pinaud is Clubman, both at beauty stores and Walgreen's. Lime Sec on its own is *gone* in 60 seconds. One needs an alcohol-based AS for curing any microcuts, but Lime Sec leaves you nothing to show for it. Some say it's "too sweet, like candy." I like it, but mixed with Veg and glycerin, has a little more staying power.

AA

Jaidmaster: Lime Sec (or any citrus) is wonderful to me: my wife's drink is Cuba Libre (coke, rum, lime) so I associate lime with a good time. If you LIKE Veg, this is a tropical variant ...

AA

I really like lime also, but I don't get much lime from Lime SEC. A bit when I pour into my hand, but it's gone in a SEC! :tongue_sm
I have even added lime EO to the bottle (about 15 drops) to no effect...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I really like lime also, but I don't get much lime from Lime SEC. A bit when I pour into my hand, but it's gone in a SEC! :tongue_sm
I have even added lime EO to the bottle (about 15 drops) to no effect...

Yeah. I understand the "Sec" part means "dry." As in Spanish "secco."

I haven't worked out proportions of this exactly; it may wind up 50/50 Veg/Lime Sec.

As of now it's like 1 oz. Veg, and .25-.33 oz. Lime Sec. 3-5 drops glycerin.

AA

Space Cadet: it's regular vegetable glycerin from Walmart. Just a few drops or it will get sticky ... but I've noticed that Aqua Velva uses it; other AS makers use castor oil. I have both for use as uberlather components. To me, glycerin is the better for AS mixing.

Right on. I will try adding a couple drops here and there and see what happens. Thanks!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Splash on; report back. I'd like more input on the proportions ...

went to to work this morning with that good feel you get from AV. Saw no need for additional moisturizers, such as almond oil, which I use many times after a Pinaud product.

The blend is risk-free to try, if you have both in your den .... which should be about everybody.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
At 1 oz. Veg, one half oz. Lime Sec - and 7-8 drops glycerin - it's a wet lime, now! The Veg is subsumed; what tones remain compliment the lime. And again, the better face feel from the glycerin.

AA

the veg is certainly different. great idea, i'll try it! I used Virgin Islands Bay Rum and now I smell like ham.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Never thought the day would come when I'd be slapping The Veg on, happily ... yet here it has come.

AA

I tried this last night by just putting some of each into my hand and splashing on. Was pretty good. This morning I mixed up a batch - about 5:1 Veg to Lime SEC and some glycerin (6 drops to the 6 oz total). Shook it up and splashed on. At first the Lime is dominant. Then can smell the lime and lilac battling it out. As it's drying down, the dryness of the Lime SEC seems to balance the powdery flowers of the Veg pretty nicely.
So far it seems to be a winner!
Thanks!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wet lime with *some* floral tones ... its alcohol bite seems fierce, for those who like that kind of thing.

I'm just glad I didn't wind up pouring my 12 oz. Veg bottle on the fire ants. It surely would kill or sissify them, one.

AA

Top Bottom