What's new

Ultimate Wallet-Friendly, Mild, but Effective EVERYDAY Razor?

You don't have to convince me, my .84 is absolutely one of my best purchases ever. I think it's a better shaver than the Karve for me.
I love both versions of the GC.

Yes, it's at the top of the range of the OP's question, but it's the only CNC machined SS mentioned. It's efficient and comfortable for everyday use. The 68 is more user friendly and comfortable, but the 84 can hang with efficient razors that cost 3-4x as much.

And for me, the 84 blade gap is a great mixture of efficiency and comfort. Could it nick or irritate a new wet shaver? Yes. But for someone with experience, it's tough to beat for the quality of shaves for the $.

If the max budget was 85, then the Karve C/D debate would open up, but the GC undercuts that CNC Brass razor by a fair amount price wise.

It's a great time in wet shaving because there are so many great inexpensive options.

For $10-15, you can find a host of good options from Baili, RR, and vintage Techs/SS models. All could be good daily drivers. But if it were me, I'd go for the GC every time.

I agree with several others here. At the top of your price range (~60 delivered), I would go for either:

- RazoRock Game Changer .68
- RazoRock Mamba

At the lower end of the price range (between $20-$30), I have yet to find a razor that comes close to the Fatip Testina Gentile.

If you want to spend less than what a Fatip Gentile costs, I recommend a different hobby ;).

Hard to choose - have used at least current production razors that meet the criteria. In alphabetical order:
- Edwin Jagger DE89
- Fatip Testina Gentile
- Fendrihan MkII
- Razorock SLOC

1. Razorock DE1/Teck 2, or its Baili version. It may be Tech inspired but to me it's a superior design and better shaver.

2. Stahly. Lose the stock vibrating handle and replace with a hefty handle of your choice. Another Tech done better design.

The De1/Teck2 if you want to go cheaper as long as you already have a handle you like that uses metric threads you can get the heads directly from Yaqi at their Yaqi-dlc store on aliexpress. The shipping is also cheap in most cases.

Agree. The stock handles are pretty cheesy looking. Worthy of upgrade.
The De1/Teck2 if you want to go cheaper as long as you already have a handle you like that uses metric threads you can get the heads directly from Yaqi at their Yaqi-dlc store on aliexpress. The shipping is also cheap in most cases.
proxy.php

Last edited:
i'll put in another vote for the fatip gentile closed comb. groomatorium has the best regular/non-sale prices on the grande gentiles, you could get the razor plus a boatload of great soap & aftershave samples, add in a few blade tucks to try out, and still be under your budget of 60.

* edit - i just checked their site, they have the grande testina gentiles listed as - fatip "classic gentle"

Last edited:
I've never tried the EJ, but I hear this over and over again. I'll have to try one.

The closest equivalent I would recommend is any OC or SB Merkur razor. They shave great and mow down multi-day stubble without complaint or irritation for me.

Don’t know anything about EJ, but I have to +1 Merkur and draw attention to the least expensive Merkur slant as an option. But if I was broke and could barely afford one razor, my kit would probably be a Merkur 15C OC, a stick of Arko, 100 cheap, durable blades and lathering with my fingers. It would still be some sweet shaving. And I could always dream of the day I had a spare ten bucks for an Omega boar. Luxury!

Gillette Tech. Used properly, it's a gem.

Regarding this thread, Gillette Tech all the way. Hits on all cylinders. Pre-war Tech with a sharp blade like a Kai or Yellow is the perfect daily shaver, no irritation, gets the job done quick, and easy BBS. Affordable.

A close second is the Game Changer with the .68 baseplate. Shaves just like the Tech and is great with a sharp blade also. If you ever wanted a stainless version of the Tech, this comes really close. Also more affordable compared with other options. The .84 baseplate is great too, but I prefer the .68 for daily shaves.

First of all, it's hard to go wrong with the Edwin Jagger DE89. Depending upon the handle you choose, you can buy one for under $30, and there is a lot to like. It looks great, it's quite forgiving, and it will reliably deliver very good shaves. I used one for many years without any issues. It's weaknesses are the threads on the head, which lasted me about 7 years, and it is not the most efficient razor you can buy.

Next up for me is a tie between the Rockwelll 6C and the Game Changer. The gunmetal 6C is a very attractive razor, and while the large head looks ungainly, it is actually a pleasure to use - and with 6 different plates you can be assured that it will match your desired aggressiveness/efficiency. The Game Changer on the other hand is as maneuverable as its sleek looks would imply, and it's solid stainless steel so it's going to last as long as you want it to. Its weakness vis a vis the Rockwell 6C is that in your price range you have to choose either the .68 or the .84 base plate. If you pick the .68 and find it's not aggressive/efficient enough for you, you'll have to shell out another $30, putting you over your $60 limit. (and same thing if you start with the .84 ...). And if you just buy both plates upfront, you're now in another price range where there are more good choices to consider.

I should also add that I am only considering new razors. I'm just not interested in vintage, so I can't tell you how my suggestions compare to any of the vintage options.

Good luck!

You don't have to convince me, my .84 is absolutely one of my best purchases ever. I think it's a better shaver than the Karve for me.

Try a Lab Blue in your .84 if you haven’t already. They go together very well. Funny because I almost gave up on the Lab Blues until I tried them with the .84

Top Bottom