What's new

U.K. Aristocrat

My U.K. Aristocrat came up in my rotation yesterday. Today is the second shave with this razor. Every time I use this razor I am favorably impressed. First, the weight and balance are perfect. Second, it is extremely smooth. And, third: I really like the way it looks.

Aristocrat UK.jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I don't have one, Jim....so I can't comment on your first 2 points, I can (and do) wholeheartedly agree with your third point....it is indeed a beautiful razor!!! And while my only British TTO is a Gillette Popular, I would describe it using exactly your words.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
As far as the shave, Jim, is there much of a difference between that and a Rocket HD500? It looks pretty similar besides the knurling and plating.

Nice pic!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
As far as the shave, Jim, is there much of a difference between that and a Rocket HD500? It looks pretty similar besides the knurling and plating.

Nice pic!
I have owned both and found them very similar; mild, smooth, but a little safe and lacking in something I can't quite put my finger on, that intangible thing that makes me smile and feel good about life. They are both good looking, quality razors of that there is no doubt but they simply gathered dust until I moved them on.

I've been a big fan of the 3rd Generation Aristocrat Jr. from the UK ever since my buddy gifted it to me. I tried a real 3rd Gen British Aristocrat out and I actually found the Junior to be a smoother shaver. While I can't prove it with certainty, I found the nickel plating to be smoother on the skin compared to the rhodium.

Nice pic!
I don't know since I don't have the Rocket HD500.

Thanks Jim.

The 3rd gen Aristocrat is not the same as an HD IMHO - the 3rd gen is much more efficient/close cutting. It is in another league and I can only use it with a mild blade.

On the other hand I find the shaves of the Aristocrat 4th generation (#66, #70), the #58 Rocket and the HD identical = to me pretty darn PERFECT :biggrin1:

I don’t own an HD anymore but comparing the razors it’s probably not that big of a surprise:

#66, #70, #58
A7645707-D16F-4E83-B974-15F21FFB0D88.jpeg

Thanks Jim.

The 3rd gen Aristocrat is not the same as an HD IMHO - the 3rd gen is much more efficient/close cutting. It is in another league and I can only use it with a mild blade.

On the other hand I find the shaves of the Aristocrat 4th generation (#66, #70), the #58 Rocket and the HD identical = to me pretty darn PERFECT :biggrin1:

I don’t own an HD anymore but comparing the razors it’s probably not that big of a surprise:

#66, #70, #58
View attachment 1090096
I find Im only able to use mild blades in my Gen 3/4, Astra Greens being the best for me. What mild blades do you prefer?

My 4th generations (#66 and #70) are absolutely perfect with a Feather blade. The smoothest and nicest shave of almost all 100+ razors I ever tried (in fact only beaten by my Hybrid Techs).

For me Feathers don’t go in a 3rd gen. However, the last week I’ve been using one of my 3rd gens with an Israeli/blue Personna blade and that is a REALLY nice shave, 99% as smooth as the 66/Feather combo :001_wub:

These British Aristos are the cream of the crop for me. Maybe that’s why I have acquired a few back-ups :blush:

DBBA12B6-6F14-4363-9FAE-C1287E59277F.jpeg

D

dangerousrazor

I've had 4th gen. British Aristocrat, 58, and Rocket HD and they shave identically. They are Gillette's best TTOs in my opinion. For me, the other gen. British Aristocrats were not that impressive. They just look better than 4th gen. , but not as smooth.

My 4th generations (#66 and #70) are absolutely perfect with a Feather blade. The smoothest and nicest shave of almost all 100+ razors I ever tried (in fact only beaten by my Hybrid Techs).

For me Feathers don’t go in a 3rd gen. However, the last week I’ve been using one of my 3rd gens with an Israeli/blue Personna blade and that is a REALLY nice shave, 99% as smooth as the 66/Feather combo :001_wub:

These British Aristos are the cream of the crop for me. Maybe that’s why I have acquired a few back-ups :blush:

View attachment 1090276

WOW!! Great collection!! :a29: :a29:

I find Im only able to use mild blades in my Gen 3/4, Astra Greens being the best for me. What mild blades do you prefer?
I can use any blade in the Aristocrat. Lord SS, Chrome or Platinum, Personna Labs and Med Preps work well for me.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member

Oops, thanks. I got mixed up and forgot the 3rd gen has the flat #430030 base :facep: Couldn't tell from Jim's pic. You answered my question, which should have asked about 4th gen compared to HD.

This is a timely thread.

Early in the day yesterday I snagged my 66 from the office hutch where I keep some razors that are rarely/never used.

I'd only used it a time or two long ago after snagging it in a lot last summer. I don't recall which blade I'd used, but I think I thought it was a little too mild at the time. Since then, I've been on a long run of mostly open comb razors.

Loaded with a Light Brigade, I had one of the best shaves I've had in a long while. Really close shave, but as tame as can be. Just effortless.

I only have so much room to keep razors beside the sink, so an Old Type just got bumped.

This is a timely thread.

Early in the day yesterday I snagged my 66 from the office hutch where I keep some razors that are rarely/never used.

I'd only used it a time or two long ago after snagging it in a lot last summer. I don't recall which blade I'd used, but I think I thought it was a little too mild at the time. Since then, I've been on a long run of mostly open comb razors.

Loaded with a Light Brigade, I had one of the best shaves I've had in a long while. Really close shave, but as tame as can be. Just effortless.

I only have so much room to keep razors beside the sink, so an Old Type just got bumped.

Perfect choice, sir. I too today took delivery of another fine #66 set! My favorite!

Top Bottom