What's new

Two More Down

Received these two brushes and immediately thought, “What did I get myself into?”

The first is a Baton 63030 in Butterscotch. Oh, real Bakelite too.

The arrival shots. . . .someone didn’t like cleaning their brush.

proxy.php

proxy.php

And funkyyyyy. I didn’t have to open the box.

A dishwashing soap bath and killed the knot.

proxy.php

I was surprised how nicely it initially cleaned up.

A few, shallow, small scratches hiding under all of the caked shaving cream, but a little sanding and polishing. . .and it turned out. . . .

proxy.php

Knotted. . . .

proxy.php

Initial bloom. . .

proxy.php

Rather small brush. . . .

Overall height = 88.7mm
Handle height = 44mm
Loft height = 44.7mm
Knot size [hair diameter at base] = 19.5mm
Knot type: 18mm, 2-Band, Finest, bulb
Grip ring [narrow part of handle] = 31.6mm
Base of handle = 31.6mm
Weight: 1.7 oz or 47 gr

This brush I call, “My Protagonist”. . . .a Rubberset 400-3 in aluminum.

Picked this brush up almost a year ago and knew this was going to be labor intensive. I would work on it, get frustrated or sidetracked or come up with different finish ideas, and end up putting it away. Several months would go by and the cycle would repeat.

The arrival shots. . . .oxidation from Hell.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Post hair removal. . . .

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I’ve worked with aluminum before. Being that it’s such a soft metal, it can be a chore to clean up and make it look right. What didn’t help matters. . . .it’s cast aluminum. Mentally, I could imagine the imperfections.

The first task. . .try to remove the years and years of oxidation. I didn’t want to chemically treat it, so elected to do the labor intensive method. . .sanding, which turned out well, until I began polishing and buffing. And the imperfections popped out.

proxy.php

Immediate frustration ensued and it went into the “Awaiting Action” box.

Several months (like six) rolled by and I get the itch to tackle the handle again. I wouldn’t relinquish my “no chemical” to treat the oxidation, so back to the tried and previously failed method. . .sanding. As I complete the sanding of the upper portion of the handle, I got the idea of a satin finish. What a cool look. But the lower portion of the handle, with it’s curves, dips, etc. . . .would require considerable work. Back into the “Awaiting Action” box.

Three months roll by and the itch returned. The upper immediately went to the buffer and the polished finish turned out great, but several problems. One, anytime you polish aluminum, it leaves black residue. Again, since it’s cast aluminum, said residue finds its way into pits, scratches (even the minute scratches you can’t see), etc. They all stand out like a sore thumb.

At this point, I’m wishing I had a tumbler.

Yep. . . .back into the “Awaiting Action” box.

A week or so ago, I became tired of this little project being a thorn in my side. The handle finds light again. First, I need to tackle the oxidation. I’ll not succumb to no stinkin’ chemicals. lol WD-40 and a brass brush. Miracles never cease to. . .well, WD-40 and a brass brush are fairly close to a miracle.

Back to sanding. . . .heavy, course sanding. Holy mother of aluminum. . .the results are fantastic. I decided to avoid the buffer and polished / buffed by hand.

Knot at the ready. . . .

proxy.php

Knot set. . . .

proxy.php

Initial bloom. . .

proxy.php

Not a small brush. . . .

Overall height = 129.1mm
Handle height = 80mm
Loft height = 49.1mm
Knot size [hair diameter at base] = 25.1mm
Knot type: 24mm, 2-band, finest, bulb
Grip ring [narrow part of handle] = 21mm
Base of handle = 22m
Weight: 2.4 oz or 69 gr

beyond words, man. beyond. simply exquisite. sometimes I wish I lived in a house where I could have tools and a big garage. for now, nyc is still my home.

Thanks all.

Perfect! The little detail in the aluminum handle is awesome. That red "3" sets it off.

I tried orange first, but it didn't seem to look right. After laying the red the red o-ring popped into the brain. I even dyed the epoxy for the upper red. :biggrin1:

Excellent work! Patience, time, a couple of fresh approaches payed off well!

Enjoy!

You're absolutely correct. . .sometimes it best to set it aside and attack later.

I used the brush this morning. . .and it can whip massive quantities of lather in no time.

Gigster - that aluminum is STUNNING.

I'll be honest - I've passed many of those handles in shops and online in the past and never gave them a second look. They just looked too worn and dinged.

You have changed my mind about those completely now!

Good work!

WOW

I want to buy it. Hit me up if you ever let it go.

That came out great!

I've also passed on some of those assuming they weren't worth reviving.

Both turned out great, the aluminum one though....wow it really exceeded my expectations especially with the red highlights.

Pair that aluminum brush with a Mergress and you will have a beautiful shaving set-then again any razor paired w/ that brush makes it a beautiful shaving set.

Danke, danke.

The possibilities with this brush are endless. . .if it were ever made again. Since the upper and lower can be separated, you could have a wide range of different brushes, using the same upper and interchanging the lower portion of the handle. For example, you could use it in the configuration it's in now and tomorrow, swap out the lower portion and have a stubby.

Gigster - that aluminum is STUNNING.

I'll be honest - I've passed many of those handles in shops and online in the past and never gave them a second look. They just looked too worn and dinged.

You have changed my mind about those completely now!

Good work!

Do it. . .you know you want to. :biggrin1:

Pair that aluminum brush with a Mergress and you will have a beautiful shaving set-then again any razor paired w/ that brush makes it a beautiful shaving set.

I agree.

Great work. I have an aluminum ER in the "awaiting repair box" too. Was it hard to separate the upper and lower knot? Also, did you order a 24 or 26 mm knot? Again it looks fabulous.

Great work. I have an aluminum ER in the "awaiting repair box" too. Was it hard to separate the upper and lower knot? Also, did you order a 24 or 26 mm knot? Again it looks fabulous.

Yes, the upper and lower portions of the handle were a pain in the butt to separate. Well, until I broke out the strap wrench. :biggrin1: Not the metal variety, but hard plastic handle and a thick rubber strap. I also wrapped the upper portion in tape to ensure I didn't leave any unwanted marks.

It's a 24mm knot. The diameter of the knot hole opening on this handle is 25.18mm. . .a perfect fit for a 24mm. I haven't worked with a 26mm knot yet, so I'm not sure if it would fit into a "3." Based on the knot measurements I've taken on TGN knots (18, 20, 22, and 24mms) I've worked with, I doubt a 26 would work.

Top Bottom