What's new

Hello!

Hello everyone,

This is Gin from Italy, but living abroad (and changing countries frequently). I shave both my beard and head, and I am here to improve my shaving techniques and results.

Currently, I have an Edwin Jagger safety razor, and I have two types of blades:
Derby extra, the ones I bought when I started shaving with the safety razor.
Feather new hi-stainless, very new purchase because I want deeper shaving for my beard (head was ok) - and I am quite happy with them.

I have to say that the Feather are a bit aggressive for my head, so I might continue using the Derby (given the final result has always been satisfactory).

My routine is simple: I usually start with an electric razor to shorten the hair (5min max for both head and beard), then I go with the safety razor.

I am experimenting with a few products (currently I have a set of shaving and after-shaving creams by Truefitt & Hill), but I am a total newbie here.

PS I am really a newbie; the only thing I know is that I should find the right direction of my facial hair and follow it with my razor, and this direction changes point by point.

What am I looking for in this forum, specifically:
- I would love to build a routine, using the right products, so some help to identify what fits my needs is more than welcome
- I would love to shave my beard more deeply, and I have no clue how to do it (is it a matter of technique? Do I need to change razor/blades?)
- I am considering learning how to use a straight razor if that could help me improve my results

In case you have in mind some posts within the forum that could help me, please link them here.

Thanks a lot, and see you around!

Welcome!

Different razor for a closer shave. You don't need to go to a straight.

There are endless good products. The most traditional is a good tallow soap, a brush, a ceramic bowl or mug, a splash.

A lot of this is just personal preference and a lot of it is going to depend on your individual hair type and such. The best way to get advice may be in your own thread or threads. This one might do.

Welcome!

Different razor for a closer shave. You don't need to go to a straight.

There are endless good products. The most traditional is a good tallow soap, a brush, a ceramic bowl or mug, a splash.

A lot of this is just personal preference and a lot of it is going to depend on your individual hair type and such. The best way to get advice may be in your own thread or threads. This one might do.

Hello helicopter, thanks for your answer. If a DE Edwin jagger is probably a limiting factor - how should I choose a better razor? Do you have any suggesitons?

I usually don't get any irritation when shaving, so maybe a more aggressive razor would be an option - but which one?

Thanks a lot

I usually don't get any irritation when shaving, so maybe a more aggressive razor would be an option - but which one?
Also, according to this thread, my razor is one of the less aggressive; how can I understand if I am ready for a very aggressive razor (e.g. Muhle R41) or a medium aggressive one (e.g. Merkur slant)?

Welcome. Have you tried a 3pass shave? First wtg, xtg, then atg. Make sure you lather is also well hydrated. The EJ de 89 is a good starter razor. Make sure your angle is on point and you will be rewarded with a Dfs.

We thoroughly understand new wetshavers who have copious questions, goals, fears, ambitions and ideas.

Take your time in enjoying the journey, step by step, and make use of the splendid resources of this, our "Clubhouse." The SEARCH function at the top of this page is an excellent start to any question.

Welcome aboard!

Top Bottom