What's new

Two Different Khaki Sets?

I was lucky enough to pick up another khaki set in addition to an American Button Co gold razor and a travel razor. Now here comes the interesting part!

The khaki set I picked up has "PROPERTY U.S.ARMY" on the inner part of the lid behind the mirror. This set has no snap to keep it shut. The other khaki set I have has no "PROPERTY U.S.ARMY" on the inner lid but has a snap closure. Was there a post war production of the khaki set in which the case was modified slightly?

Once the clean-up is done I can post pictures. In addition, my newest khaki set has SGT P.R. Leapley Bat C 139th F.A. #1576199 written on the lid. While I am cleaning up the case do you think I should try to remove this or keep it on there? The 139th F.A. Battery C was based in IN where I picked this up.

Here's the picture of the set I picked up today complete with a period blade.
proxy.php

You really should keep the name on it. After all, there are millions of razors to shave with, but this is a piece of history especially as it can traced back to the person who owned it.
Congratulations on a great find.

What kind of razor comes in a khaki set? I recently picked up one also with a razor that looks just like yours. I thought is was a TECH, I thought that was the only razor made by Gillette during the war, however someone said it was a NEW. Thanks for any information.

BJC

What kind of razor comes in a khaki set? I recently picked up one also with a razor that looks just like yours. I thought is was a TECH, I thought that was the only razor made by Gillette during the war, however someone said it was a NEW. Thanks for any information.

BJC

In WWI the Khaki Set comes with a Old Type and in WWII it comes with a Tech.

Here's the picture of the set I picked up today complete with a period blade.
proxy.php

That's a beautiful set. Any chance you can post a photo of the printing? As a military history nut, I think that's awesome! I'd love to get my hands on something like that!!

And now here is the original question. Are there two different khaki sets?

proxy.php

Did Gillette make a non-military issue one?

I posted these pictures of my Khaki set about a year ago and thought it would be appropriate to post again on this thread.

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Unfortunately, like most of this razor type, there are significant cracks in the handle.
proxy.php

Well it looks like I will be keeping the one with the snap closure as rare :lol:
Hi Aaron, I've been collecting US WW2 GI stuff for years.......I've seen the snap type many times before. I think alot of these Khaki sets saw use in WW1 and were re-issued in WW2.The snap closures may have been produced a little later than the other type.I know alot of the snaps I saw were billed as WW2 issue..........Take care, Bill

Top Bottom