What's new

"TV Special"

V

VR6ofpain

Nice...still if I had seen that pic I would have bid purely on the fact that it looked like a FTR. You are right though, you can't see the handle texture.

Thread 23605 said:
proxy.php

Flat blade pan is a Jr. Aristocrat. Some Jr. Aristocrats were marketed in Rocket cases in Britain at one point. I have physical and anecdotal evidence to support this claim. Just thought I would toss that in to further muddy the waters! :sneaky2:

This sounds like the Rocket I have. Here's a picture. everything looks as you have described. Looks like this one was marketed for Canada. The case has all the same info as the TV. Please, don't mind the soap.:blush:
full

full

Can I get a scan of the bottom of the case?

I wasn't able to get a decent scan. I managed to get a better picture though.

full

A Great razor! only if the handle was a little thicker.

+1

The top photo was hard to look at sideways, so I corrected and enlarged it.

Thanks for that. :smile: One of the side benefits of this post is that it has forced me to learn how take some better pictures and edit them as well. :001_cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
The mystery continues.:detective:

full

Yes the mystery does continue. Very interesting. The instructions look like they are from a different razor. With that Bulldog handle it looks like #66 English Aristocrat. The French/English instructions are a dead giveaway for Montreal. It is possible that Gillette used the incorrect pictures in the instructions but I don't think I have seen that before. They were pretty good about that arround that time. Remember they gave different names to the same razor where only the packaging changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
...That being said the British market did receive a Rocket version of the 1958 TV SuperSpeed but it was not called a TV SuperSpeed in Britain doubtless because the British feared they might have to buy a licence for it too! :lol:
proxy.php

Does anyone know what these were called in England? I assume they were released in 1958 like the US version? I've been calling it a TV Special Rocket, but I'd like to know the proper name.

Charlie I wish you could have seen the photo that went with that auction. It was so blurry I didn't know what I was getting. I knew it was a Brit Flare Tip but until I opened the parcel I was unaware that a "Brit TV" existed. I think that photo is in a post on this forum somewhere I will have to try and find it. Anyway I was just trying to buy another BFTR to use as a shaver and ended up with another Gillette prima donna that will never shave another face! :biggrin:
I think Scott (Groundhog) also owns one but I don't believe his is cased.

You can add a third to the list.

proxy.php

And the auction photo. BTW: That GEM shaves pretty good.

proxy.php

Top Bottom