What's new

"TV Special"

full

Well Looking at the top of that case I think I can make out that it was made in the US and is identical to all 4 of the red TV cases I have in that respect. However where yours says Montreal and Canada is where there is a difference. So your case was made in the USA but for Canada. That would explain the instructions. The blade case is the correct one for that year as well but usually the instructions were sealed inside with the case as seen here:

proxy.php

That isn't to say that it was not done differently in Canada. I guess the biggest thing for me is that the Rocket was made arround the late 40's early 50's but that case was 58'. Of course that is assuming that they were made in the US arround the same time.

So what history do you have of that particular razor? How much did you buy it for? Was the seller specialized in razors or just an antique dealer that had no idea of what it was? I am not convinced that the razor/case/blades/instructions all were together from the beginning of it's life but I am not ruling it out. I just would like to see more corroberation.

All that aside it is a great find and if it is all a matched set then I would say it is very valuable as far as collectible razors go. I would not use it at all. It has spent 50 years being in mint new condition. No need to ruin it when there are quite a few user grade ones out there that are exactly the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
That being said the British market did receive a Rocket version of the 1958 TV SuperSpeed but it was not called a TV SuperSpeed in Britain doubtless because the British feared they might have to buy a licence for it too! :lol:
Anyway here's a picture of mine in the original case-

proxy.php

Great. Now I have another Rocket to add to my wantlist. OK, you know the drill... more pics of that instruction slip? Is the razor the same as the 50's Style Rocket aside from the knurling?(Made in England stamped under head.) How do you know it is the original case, blades, and instructions? Can I get a scan of the bottom of the case?

The blade case is the correct one for that year as well but usually the instructions were sealed inside with the case as seen here:

There is a small tear in the wrapping. It dosn't look like the tear is big enough to remove the instructions. I don't know for sure.

So what history do you have of that particular razor? How much did you buy it for? Was the seller specialized in razors or just an antique dealer that had no idea of what it was?

I bought the razor at a local antiques mall. The vendors are not on site. You browse around, grab what you like, and there are attendants that will ring through the purchase. I didn't actually speak with the seller. At the time, I wasn't up to speed on all the makes and models. All I knew was that it appeared to be new and un-used. I paid $30CAD for it, which I thought was too much. I had no idea what it was until I did some research here. It was then that I discovered that it could be a Rocket.

Is the razor the same as the 50's Style Rocket aside from the knurling?(Made in England stamped under head.)

Not sure what you mean here. If you are referring the other Rocket in my posession, I would say that they look identical when the doors are closed. When opened, I'm not sure what you call it, but the blade holder is flat. It's alos heavier by about 20grams.

can you take a flat pic or scan of this section of the instructions?

I will take care of this tonight.

The razor in that pic almost looks like a Bulldog instead of a Rocket. Or possibly a #500.

I hear you. I thought it looked like an Aristocrat. I have no doubt that you know better than I.

Great. Now I have another Rocket to add to my wantlist. OK, you know the drill... more pics of that instruction slip? Is the razor the same as the 50's Style Rocket aside from the knurling?(Made in England stamped under head.) How do you know it is the original case, blades, and instructions? Can I get a scan of the bottom of the case?

Charlie, that razor was mint but not NOS so no instruction slip, The razor is a Rocket stamped under the head "Made in England" as is the white case it rests in. As far as that being the original case the only evidence I have is anecdotal but the woman who sold it to me said her father bought it in that case. Hope that helps!

Charlie, that razor was mint but not NOS so no instruction slip, The razor is a Rocket stamped under the head "Made in England" as is the white case it rests in. As far as that being the original case the only evidence I have is anecdotal but the woman who sold it to me said her father bought it in that case. Hope that helps!

Sounds pretty good. The fact that the case was also "Made in England" is a big factor. It would certainly seem like it is a match. :thumbup:

There is a small tear in the wrapping. It dosn't look like the tear is big enough to remove the instructions. I don't know for sure.

It was probably sealed like that originally. Later in production they had the instructions sealed in the blade case as well. Could be a Canadian market thing as well.

I bought the razor at a local antiques mall. The vendors are not on site. You browse around, grab what you like, and there are attendants that will ring through the purchase. I didn't actually speak with the seller. At the time, I wasn't up to speed on all the makes and models. All I knew was that it appeared to be new and un-used. I paid $30CAD for it, which I thought was too much. I had no idea what it was until I did some research here. It was then that I discovered that it could be a Rocket.

Let's just say, you got a great deal and leave it at that. :w00t:

Not sure what you mean here. If you are referring the other Rocket in my posession, I would say that they look identical when the doors are closed. When opened, I'm not sure what you call it, but the blade holder is flat. It's alos heavier by about 20grams.

The stamping under the head when you turn it upside down. Where you would look for a datecode on a US unit.

Hi wayne I have the exact same razor with the same serial number stamped on it. I was advised it was a Jr Aristocrat? Along with Wayne would love to know exactly what it is. I shaved with it for the first time this morning. A Great razor! only if the handle was a little thicker.

Good evening Fellas,

Here are the scans of the front and back of the instructions. Sorry about the sideways view. I'm still having some issues with the technical side of things. ie. I don't really know what I'm doing :sod: I haven't figured out how to edit my picture to an acceptable size. It's the scan of the case that I am having difficulty with now. It's time for bed though. I'll see if I can get that done tomorrow.

Thanks again for all of the helpful information.

The mystery continues.:detective:

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
V

VR6ofpain

proxy.php

The top photo was hard to look at sideways, so I corrected and enlarged it.

Hi wayne I have the exact same razor with the same serial number stamped on it. I was advised it was a Jr Aristocrat? Along with Wayne would love to know exactly what it is. I shaved with it for the first time this morning. A Great razor! only if the handle was a little thicker.

Flat blade pan is a Jr. Aristocrat. Some Jr. Aristocrats were marketed in Rocket cases in Britain at one point. I have physical and anecdotal evidence to support this claim. Just thought I would toss that in to further muddy the waters! :sneaky2:

Sounds pretty good. The fact that the case was also "Made in England" is a big factor. It would certainly seem like it is a match. :thumbup:

Charlie I wish you could have seen the photo that went with that auction. It was so blurry I didn't know what I was getting. I knew it was a Brit Flare Tip but until I opened the parcel I was unaware that a "Brit TV" existed. I think that photo is in a post on this forum somewhere I will have to try and find it. Anyway I was just trying to buy another BFTR to use as a shaver and ended up with another Gillette prima donna that will never shave another face! :biggrin:
I think Scott (Groundhog) also owns one but I don't believe his is cased.

Flat blade pan is a Jr. Aristocrat. Some Jr. Aristocrats were marketed in Rocket cases in Britain at one point. I have physical and anecdotal evidence to support this claim. Just thought I would toss that in to further muddy the waters! :sneaky2:

+1

Also Great Shavers

Charlie I wish you could have seen the photo that went with that auction. It was so blurry I didn't know what I was getting. I knew it was a Brit Flare Tip but until I opened the parcel I was unaware that a "Brit TV" existed. I think that photo is in a post on this forum somewhere I will have to try and find it. Anyway I was just trying to buy another BFTR to use as a shaver and ended up with another Gillette prima donna that will never shave another face! :biggrin:
I think Scott (Groundhog) also owns one but I don't believe his is cased.

Actually I found the thread you are mentioning with the price you paid as well. My hat is off to you and of course if you would like to double your money I would send you what you paid plus double. :wink: I know, fat chance of that ever happening but still I gotta put it out there :thumbup:

Actually I found the thread you are mentioning with the price you paid as well. My hat is off to you and of course if you would like to double your money I would send you what you paid plus double. :wink: I know, fat chance of that ever happening but still I gotta put it out there :thumbup:

Thanks Charlie but I gotta keep it! :smile:

Top Bottom