What's new

Tutorial: How to face lather with shaving cream

Been face lathering soaps and bowl lathering creams, I was in a rush and decided to face lather this morning and it was great, i just need to use a bit more product to get that 3rd pass in.

The only difference for me is that I put the cream directly in the middle the of the brush, instead of on my face. I feel that this gives me a richer lather in less time.

Thank you for posting this. I am leaving tomorrow on a weekend trip and decided not to leave my DE behind. However, now I will leave my mug!

Great post. I was wondering how other face lather with a cream. Now I may only buy a brush scuttle for the winter months. I was considering getting a brush scuttle for winter and a bowl for creams. I like a warm lather in the winter and to face lather year round.

I've got a stupid question....

Why face lather instead of bowl/scuttle lather? I use creams 90% of the time, and just use a bowl. Is face lathering "better?" BTW, I only shave after a shower so my stubble is plenty soft.

I think face lathering a cream is more for those who travel. Carrying a three to five inch bowl for bowl lathering in your suitcase takes up a lot of room that could hold other things, especially if you just take a carry-on. A brush and small plastic glass for soaking would still be required, but that takes up less room and you can place a piece of Saran Wrap on the top of the glass to keep the brush in its place while en-route to your location.

I think face lathering a cream is more for those who travel. Carrying a three to five inch bowl for bowl lathering in your suitcase takes up a lot of room that could hold other things, especially if you just take a carry-on. A brush and small plastic glass for soaking would still be required, but that takes up less room and you can place a piece of Saran Wrap on the top of the glass to keep the brush in its place while en-route to your location.

Not necessarily. I face lather because it's much easier and it forces me to work the soap in my beard because I have to to get the lather right. I have a brush scuttle at home to keep my lather warm. Also, I just like the way the Colonel feels on my face (insert joke here).

I have a double walled stainless steel bowl I use for a brush scuttle when traveling and it doesn't take up much space at all because I make sure it's stuffed with socks when I travel to maximize space.

A simple solution for those who usually bowl lather and are on the road is to palm/hand lather instead. Why this solution is so often forgotten is kind of a mystery to me.

I own next no soaps and the few times I tried to face-lather with my creams the lather was always thin and dry. I deemed my self rather terrible at it and thus gave it up despite greatly enjoying and wanting to improve on the experiences.

Another great tutorial Luc.

A simple solution for those who usually bowl lather and are on the road is to palm/hand lather instead. Why this solution is so often forgotten is kind of a mystery to me.

+1. Tried this on my last trip and I loved it. I have even begun using this every now and then at home!

Great tutorial. I'm a newbie and will try to go without the bowl tomorrow morning! Thanks - pics were very helpful.

thanks for this...I'm all set for my first DE shave and this is the method I'll try to replicate. The pics are of great help!

any other technique tips or products that make the job easier and more effective always appreciated!

Practice, practice, practice. I lathered a couple of times a day with my two brushes when I was starting out, even if I wasn't shaving. If your face can't take it, lather in your palm if you want to stay away from bowl lathering.

face lathering is so much easier and cleans the face better i find. So far I have only used tabac and find it brilliant. I have also started shaving after the shower and get a far smoother shave with less irritation. I am going to give the speick cream a go soon. the germans make good stuff! If anybody has some speick prodct they dont get hold of me.

Had my first real cream shave this morning; not knowing any better I used the lid of my Proraso like a small bowl to load up my brush with the Derby cream I was using. I will look forward to using the direct method tomorrow--it looks great! If I could only find a way to shave more all would be well! Thanks for the concise tutorial.

kingping

I'm still a noob but I enjoy the cheap arko sticks. My friend and brother have used them. the tutorial was great. exactly what I needed. I enjoy face lathering though still getting the hang of it. I feel like the soap and cream are doing more for my skin when I face lather, but that's my 2 cents. I'm new to de shaving but not lather products and brushes

this is probably something i do wrong in mug lathering,but since i switched to face lathering my brushes that were becoming shedders have either stopped completely,or are much reduced in shedding;

Top Bottom