What's new

Turtleneck under V-Neck

I can only think up images of Uncle Eddie from National Lampoon's. [IMO] It is a dated look, as you've said, and not a timeless one.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
V neck sweater over a tee works. I don't think turtle necks are around I haven't seen one In Ages

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I do think it's a dated look. The rollneck (turtleneck) that looks the best in my opinion has some weight to it (preferably wool). I think it's a great look with a suit when you don't want to wear a tie. For me the rollneck/sweater combination doesn't hit any of the marks well - dressy, casual . . .

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
proxy.php

It used to be quite a stylish look. David Niven in The Pink Panther and Robert Wagner in To Catch a Thief (for example).

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
just for fun I googled images of david niven and pink panther and there are no images of him in a turtle neck. mostly a bow tie or a suit the one I found in a turtle neck he was skiing.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
At best it looks "okay" ...

proxy.php

... but there is a "high risk" factor of ending up not looking good.

proxy.php

IF ... and I say "if" ... you are going to attempt this look, be sure that the turtleneck is a finer gauge of knit than the v-neck ... you want the v-neck to be "this is the next level of layering", not "I'm doing the same layer again".

Generally, I'd say the turtleneck is best as the "main event", or under a more structured garment like a blazer or suit jacket ... not another sweater.

proxy.php

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Well, first off, it involves wearing a turtleneck, which, as you all should know, is the Devil's Spawn. Second off, go back and reread the first off.

I wore them that way all the time growing up as I went to a school with a uniform policy.

We could wear the school V-neck sweater over a light blue shirt and tie or wear a light blue turtleneck shirt. I didn't like wearing ties and the turtleneck shirt was more comfortable than wearing a shirt buttoned up to my neck.

Top Bottom