What's new

Turkey Questions

I’ve got a few questions about smoking a turkey this year.
I plan to smoke my turkey tomorrow morning, were having thanksgiving with my family on Sunday because my niece will be at her biological dads on thanksgiving day.

1)what’s the best way to reheat turkey on Sunday if I smoke it tomorrow?

I plan to inject with garlic and herb marinade and season with a garlic and herb rub

2)Should I inject and rub it when I smoke it? When I reheat it? Both?

It’s my first year smoking the family turkey so I don’t want to mess it up!

I'd just heat the oven to it's lowest setting. Keep the turkey tented/wrapped in your pan with butter until 15 mins before you serve it, then broil the skin to crisp. Can't say that this is the best method, but it is what I'd do.

Inject before smoking. I highly recommend using olive oil over butter.

I'd rub it the day before or add the rub to the brine if you are brining. Then rub before smoking as well.

Good tip, don't trim the excess skin around the neck as the skin will pull tight as it cooks.

Cook till the breast/thigh are 160F and remove from the smoker. Let rest and watch the temp rise.

I followed the Amazing ribs method (with some tweaks) and ended up with the best turkey I've ever eaten.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have smoked turkey's in the past. 300-325 in the smoker will do. Stuff it with all kinds of citrus fruits, aromatics and butter.

I've done it in my regular Weber kettle a few times. Its pretty hard to screw up. I think we targeted 300-350, but since it was a weber kettle, we didn't really control it that tightly.

I have smoked turkey's in the past. 300-325 in the smoker will do. Stuff it with all kinds of citrus fruits, aromatics and butter.

Is there anything wrong with 250-275? I smoked a couple chiken thighs a few weeks ago and with all the vents wide open I held about 255. I think starting with a full chimney (I only used a half chimney) would help, but other than that idk what else I can do. Temps were in the 50s that day

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Is there anything wrong with 250-275? I smoked a couple chiken thighs a few weeks ago and with all the vents wide open I held about 255. I think starting with a full chimney (I only used a half chimney) would help, but other than that idk what else I can do. Temps were in the 50s that day
Cooking poultry too low can raise the risk of bacteria. I have seen most suggest 300 or better. Poultry will absorb the smoke quicker than beef will.

Cooking poultry too low can raise the risk of bacteria. I have seen most suggest 300 or better. Poultry will absorb the smoke quicker than beef will.
The only thing the cooking temperature will affect is the length of cook and the crispness of the skin.

Internal temperature is the only thing that matters when it comes to bacteria.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The only thing the cooking temperature will affect is the length of cook and the crispness of the skin.

Internal temperature is the only thing that matters when it comes to bacteria.
I just refreshed my memory. It is a fat rendering and crisp skin thing, not bacteria. Too low and the skin remains soggy. Low and slow is for breaking down the tough collagen that beef possesses and turkey doesn’t.

amazingribs.com

I've had difficulty smoking poultry at too low of a temp because the result is a dry bird. Chicken thighs are almost foolproof, but by the time a whole turkey reaches temp it'd be dry and tough. Spatchcocking the bird would certainly help: increased surface area and faster cooking, thus more moist.

Are you using lump charcoal? Should burn hotter.

I use a Big Green Egg. Smoke for about 2 hours or so around 225, open it up to 325-350 to finish it off, render the skin fat, and crisp it up.

Inject with whatever, I usually just use a garlic oil - crush a bunch of garlic into a cup of olive oil, let it stew abit then shoot it in.

Top Bottom