What's new

Tüff aftershave from Germany

I wrote a bit about it in the "Going to Germany" thread, and then I noticed this wonderful AS is hardly mentioned in these forums. No surprise - I wouldn't know of any way to purchase it in the rest of the world. However if one of you visits Germany or has contacts - don't miss out on Tüff. I'll just copy what I wrote in that other thread:

If you stumble across a Manufactum store and you have another five bucks in your pocket then you're in for the legend that is Tüff aftershave for sensible skin ("Tüff Rasierwasser sensitiv"). From what I've read the mixture has remained almost untouched since the '40s (check the design!) and from what I've experienced it is, I'm not lying, one of the best after shaves in the world. Problem: hardly anybody knows about it.

There's not much sense in emphasizing the scent as it's gone within minutes and makes room for whatever comes next, but let me just say that for these minutes it smells like what I imagine an old pharmacy from a century ago to smell like. It's a very (very!) light scent of mild herbs; camomile, calendula, woad - in combination it's a tad medicinal and feels extremely soothing. Remember my skin going haywire, and that I take the Lavera shaving cream for that? Well, Tüff is my after shave of choice for these days. And for almost all the others. Try it, seriously - it would be a shame to miss out on it. My dermatologist recommended finding it and I'm still grateful.

Last edited:
Exactly!
Its an relict from the time germany was devided. Its from the eastern part and if you want to buy it in a store you still only get it in the eastern part of Germany. I think there are only positiv and there is no negativ comment on this stuff in the german forums.
Its perfect, if you want to use some EDT afterwards. :cornut:

Tüff Sensitiv is about the only splash without any lasting scent. The scent it does have is faint and stems from the herb extracts in its formulation, and is gone in minutes. This means you can very easily apply a splash, and use any EdT right after without worrying about scent clash. It is dirt cheap (€3 for a bottle of 100 ml or so), and works like a charm. Great stuff.

I must say, its a funny name for an aftershave.

Indeed, it is. So is the design. But the product itself is spot-on. It just happens to fit into the whole "sensitive skin" product lines that emerged decades after Tüff was first produced. Put it into a streamlined bottle, wrap a fancy artwork around it and call it "Art of Shaving Herbal After Shave Splash" - Tüff would be the next big thing.

But so it remains an insiders' tip. :)

This stuff looks great, and the fact that it's unobtanium here just makes me want it more. I've emailed Manufactum to see if they'll ship a bottle to NYC.

I'd be happy to buy and send some bottles to you folks for price and postage only, but I'll be traveling around Europe for a couple of weeks, starting Sunday. When I'm back and you haven't found any possibility to get your hands on Tüff we could talk about that though. :001_smile

+2. Most gracious indeed. Hopefully Manufactum will oblige; I'd much rather get it directly from them than have you do our dirty work. :biggrin:

Will let you know what I hear from them. And thanks for the kind offer!

Indeed, it is. So is the design. But the product itself is spot-on. It just happens to fit into the whole "sensitive skin" product lines that emerged decades after Tüff was first produced. Put it into a streamlined bottle, wrap a fancy artwork around it and call it "Art of Shaving Herbal After Shave Splash" - Tüff would be the next big thing.

But so it remains an insiders' tip. :)

Youre 100% right!
Thats what I said in another thread relating to Speick. Hopefully they will never get a big "manager" who wants to make big money. Same product different marketing --> triple the price! Or, to be really good, natural, wicked stuff, make the price 10x.

Top Bottom