What's new

TTO Is More Convenient

I love ttos a lot. In my opinion very easy to load a blade and time convenient. I like 3 pieces but to me you most people could load a tto blindfolded in seconds. What do you guys like? I like both ttos and 3 pieces but tto kinda tops my favorite especially with a super sharp blade.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Quality of shave is more important to me than how the blade loads. I get my best shaves with a three piece closed comb.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Agreed but iv tried both to me in my opinion its all about technique and right blade for the razor and you.

Good technique can get you a good shave with a bad razor, or a great shave with a good razor. I've been able to get a good shave (eventually) with every DE razor I've tried, but my best shaves are still with three piece. I think that on the whole, blades make less difference than the razor does.

I like both, but I do agree that the TTO is quicker to load and clean. I am able to get great, enjoyable shaves from both on my face! I am currently using and enjoying my 3 piece razors. Have a great day and many more enjoyable shaves!!!

Tom

I prefer 3 piece. Gillette TTOs are prone to misalignment and other maladies to which 3 piece are immune. I'm not in that much of a hurry to save 5 seconds . it's wet shaving for crissakes, how much time do you spend making a lather that you need 5 seconds?.

I use Micromatic razors but prefer them for their handling and shave quality not the fact that they are TTO. They are less prone to misalignment but can get gummed up and like Gillette are a bear to tear apart.

Last edited:
TTO's are quicker to load and unload. At once a week, at most, this isn't important to me. 3-pieces generally have a thinner head, so under the nose is a lot easier- I have been told- see avatar pic. :), so this isn't a deal for me. I frequently grow a beard out, later remove it. So OC are better liked by me, of which there are more 3-piece options. I get great shaves with everything except SRs (yet).

So a slight advantage to 3-piece. Next would actually be a GEM SE. I haven't tried an OC TTO, so it is in last place, just by default.

I like both. I agree TTO are a bit easier to load in terms of speed. Slightly less risk of cutting yourself too. But to me that's offset by 3 piece being easier to clean and staying cleaner. My vintage Gillette TTO razors seem to really collect soap scum. Most of my 3 piece razors have really clean lines without a lot of books and crannies. To me they just stay cleaner.

Like others have shared, the TTO while simpler to load, sacrifices a bit with a "taller" or "thicker" head. This is mainly experienced as a person shaves under their nose.
They all have a good place in particular situations.

Handles, handles, handles.....

I want to use my favourite titanium handle on any razor I use, so that's automatically 3-piece.

Only exception is Micromatic MMOC and MMCP.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The funny thing for me is that I really like TTO razors but I find that most of the razors that I use are 3 piece.

I like both. I agree TTO are a bit easier to load in terms of speed. Slightly less risk of cutting yourself too. But to me that's offset by 3 piece being easier to clean and staying cleaner. My vintage Gillette TTO razors seem to really collect soap scum. Most of my 3 piece razors have really clean lines without a lot of books and crannies. To me they just stay cleaner.

+1 on this. I like both but 3 piece stay cleaner.

My favorite style,

Would'nt knock TTO, three piece or two piece. It's what you like that counts.

Shavin' shavin' shavin'
though they're misbehavin'
Keep them whiskers fadin',
rawhide

Lather up, mow them down, mow them down, lather up
side to side, under chin, head on up, down agin'

BBS
for the win

r-a-w-h-i-d-e!

(someone work on this, might be a song in there somewhere)

Three piece for me all the way due to ease of cleaning.

Next best, surprise...two piece design such as the 34C. Three piece designs are number one because my favorites are that design, followed closely by the 34C.

I have five TTO razors, four 3piece razors, and one 2 piece. I like them all for different reasons, hard to pick a favorite style.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Both, but TTO is harder to clean and subject to damages, as said.

Also as noted... handles are fun to experiment with.

AA

Top Bottom