What's new

Blade caps

I've often wondered why most 2 or 3 piece razors don't have top caps that fully cover the blade ends like the Feather ASD2. Is there a reason? I find I have occasionally nicked myself when switching from TTO to non-adjustable and the Feather is so convenient.

It’s the way nearly all razors have been for nearly a century. It’s only something you really see come up with modern razor designs.

A lot of razors that cover the tabs also tended to have significantly more mass, especially in the early modern days when CNC machining Was much more expensive.

It tends to have an appeal to a smaller market share I think is the bottom line. Then people like me are critical of the drawbacks (extended guards that remove shave soap where the blade hasn’t made contact with and size/weight).

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The tabs allowed some wiggle room if blade alignment wasn't 100% perfect. This is more a zamac cast thing of the past, IMO.

But that is what a CNC machined razor should have nowadays, perfect blade alignment and no need or even possibility to correct anything.

Still, many of my favorite razors (Timeless) still use exposed tabs. Karve offers both versions. In general I prefer covered tabs. Some people have trouble loading and removing blades from such razors. Which puzzles me, but I wanted to mention it.

Exposed tabs is good thing. You have something to grab when removing blade.

I am annoyed when trying to remove blade with covered tabs and blade sticks to base plate. It seems dangerous to remove this sticky blade. One hand fingers hold the ends of plate. How to grab blade safely with other hand !? It was no accident but it lurks round the corner, base plate's corner.

Exposed tabs is good thing. You have something to grab when removing blade.

I am annoyed when trying to remove blade with covered tabs and blade sticks to base plate. It seems dangerous to remove this sticky blade. One hand fingers hold the ends of plate. How to grab blade safely with other hand !? It was no accident but it lurks round the corner, base plate's corner.
Why can't the top cover and the bottom plate not? That way your fingers are protected both when holding the razor and when pulling a stuck blade. It's only a minor difference in length.

Why can't the top cover and the bottom plate not? That way your fingers are protected both when holding the razor and when pulling a stuck blade. It's only a minor difference in length.
Did not understand what you mean. Sorry english is not my first language 🙁

A picture is worth thousand words.
coveredtabs.JPG

This is situation I confront with.

But main reason - I have never seen sharpened tabs - why bother with uncovered tabs ?

I only have one razor with covered blade tabs, a Baili TTO, and truly detest it. I find it a lazy design as all they did was widen the whole head to cover up the tabs. The end result is an extra long comb that prevents access to the blade corners.

Blade corner access is very important to those of us that have beard growth in the lower nostril seam (i.e. right above the moustache).

I’ve seen some new designs where the tabs are covered but the head is angled back to “traditional” comb length. I would presume this would be to allow blade corner access, but haven’t tried any myself.

Did not understand what you mean. Sorry english is not my first language 🙁

A picture is worth thousand words.
View attachment 1780334

This is situation I confront with.

But main reason - I have never seen sharpened tabs - why bother with uncovered tabs ?

English is my first language and I didn't understand what he meant either. No offense intended towards @coase I'm sure it was just a typo 🍻

That said, I'm in the camp that prefers exposed blade tabs for the reasons already mentioned. Easier blade removal, easier access to the blade corner for nose work, and no unnecessary lather removal at the edges where there is no blade contact.

. . .

I’ve seen some new designs where the tabs are covered but the head is angled back to “traditional” comb length. I would presume this would be to allow blade corner access, but haven’t tried any myself.
My Razorock Lupo Aluminum cap (and baseplate) has rounded ends, just long enough to cover the blade tabs. The blade corners are _almost_ exposed -- the center of the last tooth, of the comb on the baseplate, lines up with the blade corner.

The S/S Lupo's have a slightly different design. The baseplate and cap are rectangular, but their corners have been cut away. I don't have a photo of how it looks with a blade inserted. But one review has the right magic words:

. . . Plus the head design covers the blade tabs while safety bar isn't wider than the blade edge. . .
So that should suit your requirements.

. . . Charles

Last edited:
Top Bottom