What's new

TSA paranoia

I've carried on a DE razor a few times, never with a blade, and got the bag searched every time! Last time was by two TSA people, one older female and a younger male. He had no idea what it was and was freaking out a bit. She had to explain to him what it was. She and I had a pleasant conversation. She even complemented me on the razor, a Muhle R 89, and said she was seeing more DE razors in men's luggage. Remember; in dealing with the TSA, attitude is everything. That said, carry on for me is disposables and a good cream that will fit into the 3.4 oz containers. I like brushless creams for this but you can certainly take your brush but remember to bag everything in quart sized ziplock bags.

I always check a bag, so I simply put my shaving kit in my Dopp. I have a dedicated nickel-plated Tech that I consider my "travel razor", although I also typically bring a backup Slim in nickel as well. Yes, I'm nuts enough to bring 2 different razors when I travel. As well as 2 soaps (tube of Speick and a TOBS travel-tub filled with Stirling).

I completely agree with not bringing anything that you don't want to lose permanently.

I do enjoy DE shaving so much that I don't want to go back to cartridges even for a few days. If I had to, I might try a Gillette Guard . . .

I may have to try the "mail the blades" technique if i get into the habit of only bringing a carryon. Polsilver Super Iridiums are hard to find at Target.

I'd feel a little better if the TSA PDF you referred me to made a single mention of cartridge razors.

(Sorry; I meant to quote Tony.)

Perhaps this will put the issue to rest? It specifically mentions the blade and not the safety razor.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items
No, darn it, that doesn't answer my questions.

I get the no-blade provision. But still no tangible information about an unloaded DE razor itself.

Here is part of the problem: (disposable razors and their cartridges are permitted) [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode, Lucida Grande, verdana, arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Yeah, OK, except that disposable razors don't have cartridges. Mach-3s are NOT disposable razors, but they do use a cartridge. Think about it for a second. If they can't figure out something this simple, how can I trust them not to toss out any of my shaving stuff they want: brush, DE razor, soap. If my soap is not rock-hard, can I carry it on-board in a screw-top tin? Does that tin then have to be in that stupid plastic bag?

I might just check my very small bag and let it go at that. But still no Fatboy.

[/FONT]

The unloaded razor is fine, it's the blade itself that is the concern, which is why they mention it separately.

I've had unloaded DE's examined and taken apart to make sure there's no blade. Once satisfied, they are returned to you.

Look, it's really very simple - you cannot carry DE BLADES in carry-on. An unloaded razor is fine, although you may be expected to show that it's not loaded. There is no specific mention of unloaded DE razors in the pdf because it is not practical to list every item that you are ARE allowed to carry onto a flight. A DE razor with no blades is not a prohibited item.

As for creams / soft soaps / "croaps" you're allowed up to 100ml (I think) just scoop some into a small container and put it in the plastic bag or take a hard soap. Hard soap, ie hard like bar soap is allowed.

TSA makes no differentiation between a truly disposable razor (i.e., one that is meant to be used a few times and then thrown away) and a cartridge razor (in which the handle is meant to last longer and cartridges are replaced). But if you think about it, compared with our DE razors, even the cartridge razors are "disposable," in a sense. I mean, I threw mine away (except for a Trac II and an Atra)!

I've travelled with shaving soaps and brushes before. I didn't have a problem. If they stop you and search the bag and ask "what's this?" the answer is that is is "soap." It's SOAP. Soap is OK for travel, softness or hardness of said soap should be irrelevant.

When I am not checking a bag, I take an Atra. I usually pack a small brush and a puck of soap.

No, darn it, that doesn't answer my questions.

I get the no-blade provision. But still no tangible information about an unloaded DE razor itself.

Here is part of the problem: (disposable razors and their cartridges are permitted) Yeah, OK, except that disposable razors don't have cartridges. Mach-3s are NOT disposable razors, but they do use a cartridge. Think about it for a second. If they can't figure out something this simple, how can I trust them not to toss out any of my shaving stuff they want: brush, DE razor, soap. If my soap is not rock-hard, can I carry it on-board in a screw-top tin? Does that tin then have to be in that stupid plastic bag?

I might just check my very small bag and let it go at that. But still no Fatboy.

If it helps you rest any, I fly several times per month, always with a DE razor. Most of the time it's in my hand luggage. Only once or twice has TSA asked about it. When they did, the agent asked me to show her where the razor was. She pulled it out, verified no blade, then handed it right back.

They see them more than you think, and know what they're looking at.

There's no tangible information specifically about unloaded DE razors precisely because they're not prohibited. There's also no tangible information specifically about kitchen spatulas or pocketwatches either, for the same reason.

Bring the Mach 3, a 100ml tube of Proraso, and a brush you like but don't care about. If you don't have one, get one. Make this your travel kit.

Even if the TSA were not a problem, your razor can be lost, stolen, or broken. And they're heavy. The virtue of plastic razors is that they're light and worthless. And you don't need to deal with the strip-search a DE razor will provoke.

You'll appreciate your DE that much more when you get home.

Bring the Mach 3, a 100ml tube of Proraso, and a brush you like but don't care about. If you don't have one, get one. Make this your travel kit.

Even if the TSA were not a problem, your razor can be lost, stolen, or broken. And they're heavy. The virtue of plastic razors is that they're light and worthless. And you don't need to deal with the strip-search a DE razor will provoke.

You'll appreciate your DE that much more when you get home.
Thank you. I have been over-thinking this, or at least over-worrying. I'll check in after the trip, especially if I have any fun TSA stories to share.

just a thought I had while I was reading the posts - since bringing an unloaded DE razor seems to trigger a check everytime, what would happen if you brought a 3 piece DE and left it disassembled in the carry-on? would that make it easier to get through or would they still go after that to check?

just a thought I had while I was reading the posts - since bringing an unloaded DE razor seems to trigger a check everytime, what would happen if you brought a 3 piece DE and left it disassembled in the carry-on? would that make it easier to get through or would they still go after that to check?

They might be curious as to what the parts were and order a screening. You should figure they're trained to assume that any would-be terrorist might try bringing a disassembled weapon.

Not worth it. This is what cartridges are for.

Well, back in one piece. Paranoia misfounded. Took my back-up badger brush, Arlington sample in a screw-top tin, and a (hateful) Mach 3. No inspection of any kind, and my favorite stuff remained home safe in my den. Thanks for talking me off the ledge.

Top Bottom