What's new

TSA paranoia

I am closing in on my perfect shaving set-up: Fatboy/Feather/SCS Neroli/vintage Floris brush/4711.

I am flying for the first time since I restarted DE shaving, and I have a bunch of questions.

--No checked bag.
--I'll leave my Fatboy at home. If some crazed or ignorant TSA agent binned it, I'd go nuts. In the den it stays.
--My brush is 100% safe. Isn't it?
--The TSA rules say I can carry on disposable razors and their cartridges, which is of course nonsense, as disposables don't have cartridges. Can I carry on my hated Mach-3? Cartridges?
--I'll pass on the 4711, I guess. Decanting seems a pain.
--The St Charles Neroli soap. I seem to be 3017ing a tin of the stuff. Perfection. Expensive, but what the hell. I really don't want them confiscating it. Is the screw-top aluminum tin a problem? It the consistency of the soap a problem? If I tried, I guess, I could push my thumb into the stuff. Totally confused. Would a wooden bowl of a really hard soap like D. R. Harris pass?

Thanks for any specific experiences you could share.

Last edited:
I'll be the judge of that.

$tsa_officer.jpg

I've taken a DE through TSA security a number of times, including a couple where I'd forgotten to remove the blade first. The presence of the razor nearly always results in a bag check, and when I'd left the blade in the blade itself was removed and the empty razor replaced in my bag. Not a big deal either for them or me.

Then I'd have to run around trying to find DE blades before the memorial service I am flying in for. And I just won't risk my Fatboy even at one in 1000 odds.

But can I take my Mach-3? Cartridges?

Not a statement of conspiracy theory, just an observation. Because of the threat, TSA can ultimately take what they want to take, based on their momentary interpretation of sharps, liquids, and what-not, and you will likely never see it again. With the liquids, supposedly you can get through with the 3-1-1 rule - up to 3.4 ounces, in a 1-quart plastic ziptop bag, 1 bag per passenger.
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-liquids-rule
I have not flown since having switched to DE, but when I do I will not risk more than a $7.00 Weishi razor. Using checked baggage, with all its risks of delay or loss, reduces the risk. I did once become aware of a small airport for a town of 20,000 where TSA was friendly and at least held the goods until the passenger returned. Otherwise, once it is gone, it is gone. Probably there is a 90-something percent chance of passing without incident if you follow the rules and do not take any blades. If your destination has a CVS, Walgreens, or other fine store, you can pick up housebrand DEs there. You can toss them, abandon them in your lodgings, or take the trouble to ship them home prior to your return flight.

I have flown with my DE razor and supplies. I just pick up the blades at my destination or mail them ahead of time. I have been searched 2 out of my last 5 times with no problems, they said they wanted to make sure there wasn't a blade in it.

While I am sure that there are misplaced bags, over the last two years, I have flown over a quarter million miles. And have not had a checked bag not be there. Even a couple times where, I only had minutes to dash from plane to plane, bags made it.
Just check it and don't worry about having to get blades somewhere.
Rant mode on..... If people would quit bringing so much carry on, boarding would be faster and much less hassle.....rant mode off

^^^ How often to you change planes in Atlanta? Here in Wichita, a good way to kill an evening is to go to the airport and listen to all the people who just got in but whose bags never made it from Atlanta.

Re: OP ...

Cartridge razor and replacements are fine. Hard soap is fine, creams must be in the aforementioned small amount in the Ziploc bag, alcohol-based aftershave is a no-no. If you can barely make a dent with your finger, then TSA won't consider it a cream.

Mach 3 and cart is good, so is a disposable. You can carry a soap, brush and an A/S if it fits in the 3/1/1 bag. I agree with accunlmtd though and check bags. I check a DE89, two blades, small A/S, brush, a soap(stick and sample tin), plus all my other toiletries in my dopp. Plus, if you are going for a memorial service, it will be obvious you carried on your clothes and you help by getting boarded quicker so the plane leaves on time. Yeah, I fly a lot, and check for any trip that is an overnight.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've traveled with hard soaps and cartridge razors many, many times and had no issues whatsoever.

I've always understood that alcoholic AS (perfume, what-not) was permitted, so long as it was in a container no larger than 3.4 oz and in the baggie, but that's my reading of the TSA regs.

I was once told that a cheese spread counted as a gel. So if the soft soap is larger than 3oz, or is in a container larger than 3oz, I'd repackage it and make sure it's in your quart bag.

Just flew internationally and back a few weeks ago and had no issue. I carried on a bag with a Trac II & carts, a brush, a stick of La Toja, and some QCS Balm in a 1 oz container. No questions or even searching of the bag at any of the 5 airports in 3 countries that I went through.

While I am sure that there are misplaced bags, over the last two years, I have flown over a quarter million miles. And have not had a checked bag not be there. Even a couple times where, I only had minutes to dash from plane to plane, bags made it.
Just check it and don't worry about having to get blades somewhere.
Rant mode on..... If people would quit bringing so much carry on, boarding would be faster and much less hassle.....rant mode off

You must be the luckiest traveler in the history of flying. I have flown at least 100 times in the past few years and have dealt with lost luggage probably 20 times, twice with a total loss (the airlines never found my luggage.)

If I were you I wouldn't deal with the bag smashers/TSA taking your gear and either send it ahead or bring cheap stuff.

My carry on has nearly usually been (about 75% of the time) searched when it has a DE in it. When I have tried to bring blades or accidentally left a blade in these have been jacked in the event of a search. Recently, I left a blade in my Weber and was made to take it out. The guy commented that 'You don't see too many of these anymore!' Never had a razor taken, ever. YMMV.

So, while it may be happenstance, I started checking a bag and putting the toiletries kit in there. Never searched or given any extra love when this is the case.

I always check my shave/toiletry kit, however I make it a rule to only pack items I wouldn't cry about losing. For my latest trip that included an injector razor, Plisson synthetic brush, shave stick and a few aftershave samples I have had laying around for a while. I do have a Gillette Fusion that I could substitute, but I prefer the shave I get from my injectors.

It's simple enough. No DE blades in hand luggage.
For short trips I usually check my small bag, but discard the blade and take the emptied razor (disassembled) in hand luggage on the return.

Top Bottom