What's new

TSA: In case you were wondering.

They're still not allowed.

$Capture.jpg

Why not? The blade length is less than 2 inches!

Side question: will they allow a empty razor - the blade through?

If the TSA works the same as the UK airport security, a DE razor but no blades is not on the prohibited list and should be fine. I'd probably either have it disassembled already or be prepared to disassemble to demonstrate that it's bladeless though.

Why not? The blade length is less than 2 inches!

Side question: will they allow a empty razor - the blade through?

The width is greater than 0.5 inches. And, besides, you're expecting consistency?

Yes, empty DE razors are allowed.

TSA answered the question "Why Not?" which is posed here. The reply was (candidly enough) that the razor knife issue was still rather dicey. "Box cutters, razor blades and any knife with locking blades or molded handles are still banned. "There is just too much emotion involved with those,” Pistole said, as box cutters were used in the attacks on September 11.

Subjective?? Yes. Straightforward reply? Yes.

Sorry, I just can't get all animated about not being permitted to carry razor blades aboard an airliner; I'm more honked off about the shoe removal issue.

Sorry, I just can't get all animated about not being permitted to carry razor blades aboard an airliner; I'm more honked off about the shoe removal issue.

Me too. It bothers me because it's a reaction policy: someone had a shoe bomb, let's check everyone's shoes. I'd rather there be a more thoughtful comprehensive policy.

I had gone to flip flops because for a while they weren't checking those and it sped things along. Then they started making people remove those too so I may as well wear my shoes.

Scott

I remember when people could smoke on airplanes. Now I just check everything except the clothes on my back, my iPhone, my wallet, and my boarding pass.

Still, I can appreciate the dilemma for "professional" travelers--people who for whatever reason need to travel constantly. I would want to carry everything on in that situation. I'd probably just pack a Fusion...

Me too. It bothers me because it's a reaction policy: someone had a shoe bomb, let's check everyone's shoes. I'd rather there be a more thoughtful comprehensive policy.

I had gone to flip flops because for a while they weren't checking those and it sped things along. Then they started making people remove those too so I may as well wear my shoes.
Scott

you cant really expect the tsa to have a thoughtful, comprehensive polices. nothing they do is thought out or planned, its all just reactive. even putting an empty de razor makes them freak out and have to re x ray the razor because they are too inept to do a visual inspection

What's humorous is that as little as 5/6 years ago, I was on a Delta Air Lines MD-8x series and it must have been a pretty old piece of equipment because the lavatory still had a razor blade slot.

First, I can't imagine back in the day when people shaved on an airplane. Especially in an MD-80.

Second, I had a sad little chuckle to myself knowing that the razor blade slot would never be used again.

Top Bottom