What's new

Trying to find a well-known scent

R

rum

Hi group,

Long time since I posted here (been busy shaving!), so thought I'd ask for your help with something.

I'm trying to find the name of a fragrance that's commonly used by countless men. It's a scent that's generally worn by the mature gent. I presume it's a brand name fragrance and have got names of scents that it could by similar to. Now, I'm useless at describing smells, but I believe there are quite distinct notes of Sandalwood in it. It's not a very modern smell, so it's nothing new.

The list I've managed to gather together comprises:
Cerruti 1881
Polo Ralph Lauren (Green)
Aramis Classic

Can anyone help? Is there another scent that's like the above?

Thanks in advance!

This won't be of much help, but I don't think the Cerutti or Polo Green have a strong sandalwood note... Don't know about Aramis...

I would say your best bet is to ask someone that is wearing it. Otherwise you are searching for a needle in a haystick it seems.

Fragrances do usually morph based on peoples chemistry though.

R

rum

I would say your best bet is to ask someone that is wearing it. Otherwise you are searching for a needle in a haystick it seems.

Thanks. I already tried that, but I just usually get told a pack of rubbish or I am fobbed off. It's not really normal when you ask a man what scent he's wearing :yikes:

Fragrances do usually morph based on peoples chemistry though.

That's a very good point. Thanks for the replies.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Try sniffing stuff in the store. Don't forget the aftershave as well ... it may be Aqua Velva or Old Spice or ... ?? Based on the way you describe it (commonly used by countless mature gents, not a modern scent) I'd focus on the less expensive been-around-forever brands rather than the 'high end' stuff. I dunno what the popular brands are over there in Jolly Old, but that might help.

R

rum

Try sniffing stuff in the store. Don't forget the aftershave as well ... it may be Aqua Velva or Old Spice or ... ?? Based on the way you describe it (commonly used by countless mature gents, not a modern scent) I'd focus on the less expensive been-around-forever brands rather than the 'high end' stuff. I dunno what the popular brands are over there in Jolly Old, but that might help.

Thanks, Ian. Not heard of Aqua Velva before - I will definitely investigate if we can get it here in the UK. Old Spice is definitely one I've seen before, but not tried smelling it recently: it could well be a candidate!

I will let you know - thanks!

Try Chaps, Stetson, English Leather, Catalyst Halston, tabac. In fact, buy them all, youll probably spend 30 for all that.

R

rum

Well, after a little more attention it turns out it's Cerruti 1881.

Top Bottom