What's new

Trying a few classics!

After having good experiences with Arko, Williams, and Proraso, I’ve decided to give two additional classics a try.

Cella and Tabac have arrived today!

The Cella smells exactly as expected in the jar. I’m not sure what I was expecting Tabac to smell like based on reading, but it wasn’t this! It’s...robust.

For Tabac users, thoughts are appreciated on how lathering goes with it. [emoji16]

Almost no way to get a bad lather with Tabac. I like to wet the soap for a minute or so to soften it up before I load my brush. Otherwise, just add water and lather, then add more water. Then just keep lathering until it gets like cool whip. For me pretty similar to lathering proraso. Good luck. ...

FYI, I always seem to go for my Tabac, I wonder to my proraso, and my Mitchell’s Wool Fat, but Tabac is my favorite. Easy to lather and great post shave feel....for me. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Tabac is an awesome soap and lathers like a champion. I swirl my damp brush on the soap and the magic starts. Lately I put the loaded brush down and clean up the excess lather from the tub rubbing it into my whiskers for a minute or so. The old school barber used to do this to my dad, using the back of his hand to make the whiskers stand up. He would probably use this technique to asses the coarseness of beard. I build the lather on my face, usually adding a little water to get desired slickness. Enjoy the awesome soaps!

Took the soap out for a spin. You fine folks were not kidding. This soap lathers like a champion! The in-your-face scent off of the puck changes up once it’s lathered, and is pretty nice. Slickness was excellent. Post shave feel is superb. I didn’t have the matching AS, so I paired it with classic Old Spice.

I’m glad that I finally tried this!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will not be dissapointed with Tabac, it's impossible to get bad lather. Don't soak it, it will get too saturated with water and turn to mush. Dry it after each shave.

And get yourself some Palmolive stick. Small, inexpensive, doesn't ahve much scent and really doesn't look like much but can put 99% of soaps to shame when it starts to lather

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Tabac is the best soap I have ever tried and the scent is divine. I have never soaked it but I sometimes put a little water onto the puck a few minutes before use, and then use that water as a preshave. It works exactly the same for me day after day, or if I allow weeks between uses so it is really dry. It lasts for ever, it is very inexpensive here in the UK, and it is supplied in a wonderful glass jar - is a superb product. 👍

I've bought a "Tabac set" once. It contained the shaving cream in a tube, aftershave and post-shave whatever. Opened it, tried all 3 of them, it was the worst smell I have ever came across. My wife taught the same, so the entire package was in the garbage right after the first use.

If you want to go "classics" route, D.R. Harris hard soap pucks and TOBS creams will never disappoint.

Cheers

EclipseRedRing

How much do you pay for a puck in jar? I bough it once and I payed 22€. Replacement puck is about8€, if you can get it in store (usually not).
On Amazon Prime here in the UK a puck in the jar is currently £11.10 (about $14) including free next day delivery, and the refill is £7.77 (about $10). I have previously seen the bowl and puck on offer at under £10, and the puck only under £5 including delivery. That is why I have zero interest in 'artisan' soaps and use Tabac or MWF almost exclusively.

On Amazon Prime here in the UK a puck in the jar is currently £11.10 (about $14) including free next day delivery, and the refill is £7.77 (about $10). I have previously seen the bowl and puck on offer at under £10, and the puck only under £5 including delivery. That is why I have zero interest in 'artisan' soaps and use Tabac or MWF almost exclusively.

Thank you

And this is why I use Palmolive :lol: 1,5€ readily available in stores and performs superbly. When I can I snag a Tabac refill stick for 6€ from shelves (rarely but we get them sometimes)

BTW, I did not mention (since you're in Texas) Nivea shave cream in a tube is superb, given it costs about €3. Here, in Europe this is our "drugstore / supermarket brand", you can literally find it anywhere. In US, I'd give a try to Cremo, it's a great product.

Tabac's scent raises strong emotions; some love it and some hate it. Put me in the love camp. In fact, I like the scent so much I use both the soap and cologne.
I regularly use the following Tabac products:
  1. Shaving soap
  2. Aftershave balm or aftershave
  3. Edt
  4. Shower gel
  5. Body deodorant
  6. Deodorant
  7. Hair tonic dry
I no longer use the hair cream though (not enough hold and too much shine).

I guess you could say that I find both the performance and the scent of Tabac products to be to my liking.

EclipseRedRing

I regularly use the following Tabac products:
  1. Shaving soap
  2. Aftershave balm or aftershave
  3. Edt
  4. Shower gel
  5. Body deodorant
  6. Deodorant
  7. Hair tonic dry
I no longer use the hair cream though (not enough hold and too much shine).

I guess you could say that I find both the performance and the scent of Tabac products to be to my liking.
I am with you all the way - almost. I love all Tabac products excluding the EDT which to me smells nothing like the Cologne or AS and is really rather unpleasant. I have not tried the hair products as sadly I no longer have sufficient hair 😀

I am with you all the way - almost. I love all Tabac products excluding the EDT which to me smells nothing like the Cologne or AS and is really rather unpleasant. I have not tried the hair products as sadly I no longer have sufficient hair 😀
Fate deals us different hands, but I firmly believe that she's a sense of humour. Me I've always been hairy and it's gotten worse over the years. At 53 I avoid going close to the gorilla enclosure when I'm at a zoo. I don't want the staff to confuse me with one of their silverbacks. My female barber always seem to be a bit confused on were my neck hair ends and we my back hair begins.

Top Bottom