What's new

Trouble with the Semogue 1460

So I tried my new Semogue 1460 today for the first time but had some trouble whipping up a good lather using Musgo Real shaving cream. In the past when I used my badger tweezerman brush I was able to lather the Musgo Real to a thick rich lather. Just wondering is there something I am missing? Does the brush have to break in before It lathers better or am I doing something wrong. I put some cream on my palm and worked the wet brush over my palm to get the lather going and then worked it into my face. The first application was a decent lather but the next two passes the lather became more of a slick coating but not thick. This still seemed to work well allowing the Feather blade to glide over my face and almost zero irritation but the lather was not the same as when I used the badger.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! :thumbup:

The 1460 needs a little break in time produce the desired results. It will get better the more you use it provided it dries properly and the tips of the brush split. The 1460 also seems to produce even better lather with hard soaps, but will lather creams fairly well.

Boars do need time to break in. The first couple of lathers will not be spectacular but as the tips begin to split the lather quality will improve noticeably. It should only take a few wet/dry cycles for the tips to begin to split. Semogues can take as long as a month to fully break in if used daily. The brush's performance will improve with every use.

You may just need to adjust how much water you use. Boar and badger bristles hold water differently. You should allow boar bristles to soak longer before making your lather. FWIW, my Semogue boar brushes (1305 and 2010 LE) lathered just fine on the first use.

Boars do need time to break in. The first couple of lathers will not be spectacular but as the tips begin to split the lather quality will improve noticeably. It should only take a few wet/dry cycles for the tips to begin to split. Semogues can take as long as a month to fully break in if used daily. The brush's performance will improve with every use.

+1 on breaking in.

However, I've found Semogues sometimes take about a month or 20-30 uses to break in well, especially the pure white/blonde ones that haven't been dyed/treated to look like badger. As always it can vary from person to person but I'd give it at least 20-30 full wet/dry cycles before I made any final judgements.

+1 on the Break in. However, I get easier to build, and nicer lathers with Badger. My Boar doesn't hold as much lather as Badger either.

Squeezing the knot out before lathering (and wetting the lather on my face instead of the brush while making lather) has helped me get max lather from my boars but they still seem to use about 2x the product to produce the same lather as my badgers. This is barely noticeable with soaps since I have no problem loading the crap out of a $10 boar on a puck. But with my proraso Red I've basically decided not to use it with boars anymore because no joke, it needs 2x the product of a badger brush. That said, the brushes improve with break-in for sure. But while I've gotten boars back into my rotation, it's only as soap brushes (not a huge deal since I have a dozen soaps and one cream).

Last edited:
they still seem to use about 2x the product to produce the same lather as my badgers.

That's exactly what happened with my first use. I had to add more product to get more lather. I haven't tried the Semogue on a soap puck but will on my next shave. I'll try it with MWF puck and see how it does.

i found that while my 1460 doesn't hold as much water as my badger, it also doesn't release it as easily either. while giving my badger a couple of shakes after soaking releases most of the water, if i just shake my 1460, it retains too much water and my lather turns out too thin. if instead i squeeze the excess water out, i have an easier time lathering my creams.

sink that sucker in vinegar, pure, just the first half of the loft. hairs should split or open within 15 mts. follow with water in the vinegar mixture to fill the loft. 10 mts.
use a good shampoo, scrub with soap and lather for 5 mts straight, I mean load, scrub, rinse, load, scrub, rinse, etc, etc repeat. 5-7 mts at least. then use a nice conditioner, some hot hot water, drop the brush in only the hairs covered, and let sit for another 10 mts. rinse and air dry, and you're all set. a fine boar brush. (personal experience with omega boars and reviving older brushes)

Top Bottom