What's new

Triple Milled Soap compared to Glycerin SS and SCreams

I have quite the sensitive skin and my question to you knowledgeable gents is for instance... Are say Trumpers shave soaps milder than there shave creams, and what I mean is are they fragranced less? Practically all the 3T's SCENTED creams I've tried burn me, but take Truefitt's SS for instance works great. Tabac also works great for me but seems quite fragrant, so I am not sure about it. JM Fraser creams also work but obviously they dont smell as strong as most others. Speick for example does not like me. So after rambling basically what I'd like to know is are 3milled soaps milder? Or is purely a YMMV issue? Thanks for your time.

Shaving creams and glycerin shaving soaps can be both strongly scented and lightly scented. Tallow soaps usually are mildly scented, although a few (VERY few) are strongly scented.

If you would list the scents you enjoy, we would be happy to help you choose a soap you'd like.

EDIT: Just in terms of mildly-scented, some soaps to check out are: D.R. Harris, MWF, and AoS (lemon and unscented).

Its a bit hard to ascertain what type of soaps will irritate your skin...only you can find that out!

That said, Mretz is right...if you're worried about irritation from scents or oils, then glycerine and SC are generally more scented than triple milled soaps. Although there are some good unscented creams out there if you can stomach the price (Art of Shaving, Gentlemen's Refinery etc).

Its a bit hard to ascertain what type of soaps will irritate your skin...only you can find that out!

True. Some oils, such as lavender, are known irritants, though.

Getting samples, might be your best bet. If you don't care about scent, unscented creams and soaps are great. Some, myself included, don't like that, though, because it's like having a cold (you can't smell anything).

I don't think one can generalize and say that soaps (triple milled or otherwise) are milder than creams. All I can say is, while I don't have particularly sensitive skin, I am sensitive to some scents. The most mild products I've found have been the AOS soaps - the two I've tried are easy on the skin and mildly scented. I also like the Institut Karite soap - it's very lightly scented and very moisturizing.

Maybe with enough experience you can get a sense of what's irritating to you - certain essential oils, lanolin, shea butter, etc. - and try to let that guide your purchasing.

I have quite the sensitive skin and my question to you knowledgeable gents is for instance... Are say Trumpers shave soaps milder than there shave creams, and what I mean is are they fragranced less? Practically all the 3T's SCENTED creams I've tried burn me, but take Truefitt's SS for instance works great. Tabac also works great for me but seems quite fragrant, so I am not sure about it. JM Fraser creams also work but obviously they dont smell as strong as most others. Speick for example does not like me. So after rambling basically what I'd like to know is are 3milled soaps milder? Or is purely a YMMV issue? Thanks for your time.

AoS unscented would be a good choice.

If you want a scented soap, but want to make sure it agrees with you, order some small samples first. Take the soap sample and rub some of the soap on the skin near the inside of your elbow on the forearm 24 hours before you use the soap for a shave. If you get a spot of redness or irritation on the forearm, don't shave with that soap. If you do NOT, it should be OK.

If you face lather, you might want to switch to palm lathering or bowl lathering to cut down on the amount of chafing (for lack of a better word) your face gets in the lathering stage. For the second and/or third pass, apply the lather with a paintbrush motion instead of scrubbing or circular motions.

Top Bottom