What's new

Trial experiment with Honing & stropping

So lately I’ve been exploring a process that’s new to me. I’ve been coming off my finisher of the day followed by 7 laps on linen. Then 4 laps on the hone & 7 laps on linen again. I keep bouncing back and forth between the finishing stone and linen over and over again (around 7 cycles but the numbers aren’t that important).
My last visit to the strop is something like 20 on linen and 40 on leather and the shaves have been next-level superb! There’s not enough honing to undo the stropping and not enough stropping to undo the honing. Is it possible that there’s some kind of equilibrium going on that’s yielding a superior edge? I’d be interested to get some feedback on this topic. Thanks
Devan J.

I'm no expect by any stretch but it sounds like your working the micro bur smaller and smaller at the same time polishing the bever.

This has been working on basically anything I want to finish on. It even worked off of 5k. I tried that just to see if I’ve been imagining things...
Keep in mind 5k is still 5k but the improvement was noticeable for sure.

Last edited:
80 on clean linen and 80 leather is what I always do after honing. I don't think the linen to leather and back to linen has anything to do with anything. The cumulative effect though is more likely.

80 on clean linen and 80 leather is what I always do after honing. I don't think the linen to leather and back to linen has anything to do with anything. The cumulative effect though is more likely.
The only two components that I go back and forth between is the last hone and linen. I save leather for when I’m done. But I have thought about the cumulative effect you’d mentioned.

Me to but so far only after 1 micron or later, sometimes going back on lower grit after linen like
->1m, 0.3m, linen, 1m, 0.3m, linen, diamond pasted leather 0.2m, linen & leather
->1m, linen, 1m, 0.3m, 0.05m, linen, 0.05m, diamond pasted leather 0.2m, linen & leather
-> thuringian, linen, thuringian
->Coticule,linen,Coticule

Top Bottom