What's new

Traveling OC - Try Before You Buy

I was curious about open combs and this pass-around allowed me to find out for myself. This is a GREAT opportunity whether you think you may want to buy one or like me, are just curious about them.

Just received a New Long Comb that I'm looking forward to using. THIS would not have happened if I had not been part of the pass-around.

$photo (3).jpg

Shaving Yeti Shore Leave Stick
Merkur 25c
Gillette Silver Blue

Eveready 500 pbt reknotted with 20mm TGN Finest Fan
Alum Stick
Thayer's Witch Hazel splash
Spotify's Kenny Wayne Sheppard Radio

Fate brought me The Shave Market (FB Group) Yeti Box #2 and B&B's Traveling OC Try Before you Buy razors on the same day. So I've got a lot of new product to try in just a week!

First time doing a face lather and using a glycerin soap. I had actually chosen the knot to have something to use for face lathering, so that was exciting. No problems at all here - plenty of soap for 4 passes and the soft badger felt great on the face. Lather exploded as face met brush with a fantastic citrus and spice scent. Lots of glide and cushion took away any fear of using an OC for the first time. I like that the scent isn't overbearing at all. My preference is to enjoy it while on the face and a bit thereafter, and then it should make room for a scented aftershave or cologne.

The 25c was an interesting beast. Finding a good angle wasn't difficult, but I think it has a little less angle to work with than any of my vintage Gillettes if that makes any sense. Good audible feedback on the first pass helped a lot. But it was dead silent on the remaining passes so I had to guess a bit. I found the combs made things more difficult on the lower area of my neck with all the curves. This guy might be less aggressive than a classic SuperSpeed based on results.

Overall - nice DFS with mild razorburn all around. Really liked the soap. I need some practice on the razor.

The best angle for me when using the Merkur was very shallow, handle nearly parallel with the floor if standing straight. Just enough downward angle to get the blade to the skin. It is a mild razor, and can at times take more pressure than you would normally use to get close in area's. It works with the Merkur, but would be dangerous with other razors, so use caution.

I would love to see the OC passaround continue, do please keep signing up, if you are at all curious about OC's.

I tried the Old Type tonight, and it's definitely a much more aggressive razor. I read that there might be problems getting the blade to align, but it sat in there straight as could be with no issues at all.

There was no doubt that it was more aggressive. Maybe like a Slim on 6? I tried using Shaving Yeti Dreamcicle. It might have been a mistake to use a new soap with this razor. I thought the soap felt really slick but I felt some tugging with a GSB in there when going ATG and XTG. I took my time and did the best I could with the tools that I had selected.

End result...I'd say take the Comfortable out of CCS. Nice big weeper on the neck but alum knocked it out, and some razor burn. Plenty of places I could have touched up, but I knew that was a bad place to go tonight. I can certainly do better with a little practice.

My typical preference has been to use a mild razor and a sharp blade. I can see that working with the Merkur, but the Old Type might do better with something smoother. I've got a Derby Extra in the collection that isn't getting any love with my other razors. I might try it. When I put one in a SS it felt great but didn't perform as well as most of my other blades.

Took on the OT this morning. No fear this time, and 1.5 days for my skin to rest up and heal. Got a decent BBS shave, face lathering with Shaving Yetti Shore Leave for that extra cushion next to the skin. My neck was a little raw, but it was shaved closer than usual.

So the problem issues today were the neck area...the combs just feel different than a gillette bar, and going ATG. For some reason I get the sense that this razor doesn't like dealing with the stubble in this direction. Anybody have tips to share about this?

Friday I decided to take it easy...the Merkur and a GSB. It was a calm and uneventful shave. The best I could get was DFS, but that's OK.

Tonight I was looking at the Old Type and had a thought...rather than an "aggressive" razor and blade combo, why not throw in a mild blade? I went with the smoothest blade that I had, which was a Derby Extra. I really don't like them in my SS's because they skip over stubble, even on the WTG pass. She tugged a bit going ATG, but I ended up with BBS and just a small spot with very slight razor burn...I probably One of the best shaves I've ever had since I started shaving this way.

I realize that I've had these two razors for over a week now. And to the best of my knowledge there's nobody signed up to get them next. Should I hold them for a bit to see if we get another interested shaver, or what?

I would just hold them for now. It would be a shame to see the passaround end so soon into the new year. Take a few more shaves, post your thoughts and let's see if anyone else signs up. If needed to generate additional interest I may be able to add an additional razor to the mix.

Many here are interested in trying the Gillette NEW. I have a long comb US model that is ugly but perfectly functional, with perfectly straight teeth. I have not shaved with this specific razor, but it is identical to the other 2nUS long combs that I have.

Let's see who else we can get to sign up and then we can talk about adding razors.

The NEW would fall in between the Old Type and the Merkur, right? Trying these OCs has led me to researching them as a possible razor to add to my collection. I think that the downside of the Old Type might be obtaining a quantity of Derbys that would only get used in one particular razor.

While I used Derbys in my OC trials (that's all I had until I picked up some CVS blades), I didn't find them particularly good with either of the OCs.

I would be interested in trying the Merkur as I haven't used any modern razor but signing up would break the rules.
1. If you already have OC razor experience, please do not participate in this thread. It is for OC newbies (you may have extensive non-OC experience, but not OC experience.)

The NEW would fall in between the Old Type and the Merkur, right? Trying these OCs has led me to researching them as a possible razor to add to my collection.

Kind of. I find its a different shave then either. I personally alternate between a old type and a new.

The NEW would fall in between the Old Type and the Merkur, right? Trying these OCs has led me to researching them as a possible razor to add to my collection. I think that the downside of the Old Type might be obtaining a quantity of Derbys that would only get used in one particular razor.

That is a bit simplistic, but yes. It is as efficient as the old type, maybe more so. It is much smoother however. Compared to the Merkur, it is more aggressive/efficient. It will feel like much more blade on your face compared to the Merkur, but once you adjust and find the angle, it is much more efficient and comfortable ultimately.

I would be interested in trying the Merkur as I haven't used any modern razor but signing up would break the rules.

I don't think at this point that should be a deal killer. What kind of OC experience do you have?

I have also received an offer to donate a Merkur 37c to the passaround, a slant. While not ac OC, it is different like the OC. What do you all think about adding a slant to the mix?

I don't know how feasible it is to send 3 razors at a time to one person. We may need to split them up to make it work better. Each person really needs one week with each razor to really get a feel for it. I don't have time during the week to keep track of 2 or 3 or 4 different lists, but if it's agreed that adding a NEW LC and a slant is a good way to keep the passaround going and interesting to more people, I will be happy to donate the NEW and I have the 37c at my disposal as well.

Someone else will have to volunteer to keep a list or lists for each razor and track where the razors are and who they need to go to next. I don't expect that Shutterbug can do it. This needs to be a group effort to help spread the joy of trying different types of razors to as many members as possible, both new and old.

Well, what does everyone think? Thoughts on adding the razors? Logistics?

I don't think at this point that should be a deal killer. What kind of OC experience do you have?
I only have a Gillette Old type, new improved, new deluxe, American New (LC and SC) and 34' Aristocrat :biggrin1:

I am a few days from my 45 days mark. Can I join the list once i am eligible? I have never tried an oc, nor a modern razor, or even a slant. Just my fatboy

I am a few days from my 45 days mark. Can I join the list once i am eligible? I have never tried an oc, nor a modern razor, or even a slant. Just my fatboy

Absolutely. You are the exact type of member the spirit of this pass around was meant for. Shutterbug laid out the original qualifications, so as long as we abide by those we'll be fine.

I don't want to assume that Shutterbug will have the time to manage two lists of razors and people who want to try them, but I know I can't commit to that. Perhaps someone reading this, who has been helped by this pass around, would be willing to give back by managing the lists?

I only have a Gillette Old type, new improved, new deluxe, American New (LC and SC) and 34' Aristocrat :biggrin1:

Ok, that is probably a little outside the spirit of the pass around, but......

If you have and shave with all of these fine razors, there is really nothing the Merkur has to offer you. It is so incredibly mild compared to what you have. However, if no one is interested in the Merkur currently, I do own it so I would be happy to have you try it. Heck, you may sell all of your other razors once you shave with it. You could shave with it a week or so then send it to the next person that wants to try it.

I've been watching for a slant pass-a-round, so I'm stoked to hear about that one.

If I understand properly, there are now 3 OCs (Merkur modern, Old Type and NEW). Then the slant as well.

I would at least keep the OCs together and then have the slant as a separate p-a-r. Or keep them together. I know when I had the OCs it really didn't cost that much to send it along its way.

If the slant doesn't break down as flat as the OCs, it might add to the cost.

I'm stoked also to see a NEW in the p-a-r. That's the birth decade razor that I wound up purchasing and it is very different than the other OCs. The handle I found to be effective extremely light.

a little outside the spirit of the pass around,
Talk about understatement.
I jumped in at the thread implying that the razor had no place to go, and I shouldn't have. I have followed this thread and have enjoyed people discovering the joy that is OC. Please ignore my interruption to this fine venture.

Top Bottom