What's new

Traveling OC - Try Before You Buy

I've got some errands to run, but I'll try to put out an updated list either later tonight or tomorrow night.

And yes, credit due Jeff_H for donating the NEW. But credit to trza for bringing them all together and updating the packaging.

Update: package arrived! Everything looks good. The only thing is the golf tees broke my heart since we are in the middle of another snow storm up here in the north east :scared:

I'm going to use the Merkur tomorrow and give you guys my thoughts.

Used the Merkur today. First of all, it is a beauty. I like the extra long handle. The razor has a nice balance and was very smooth With the Astra. The mistake I made was I used a new soap. The soap lathered up but didn't last. I never had a soap just disappear on the face before. This caused a very raw face.

Rules
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
1. The Band of Traveling Open Combs (hereafter call the BoTOC) is open to anyone who wishes to try an open comb razor. The only disqualification is if you own every brand and model of Open Combs that are currently in the BoTOC.
2. To participate in the BoTOC, you must meet the qualifications to sell items on B/S/T -- 45 days a member and 50 posts. Note that qualifications may be waived for members with significant contributions or length of membership.
3. Participation is for CONUS members only - to keep costs down and the BoTOC moving along.
4. Post in this thread that you would like to try the current BoTOC. Note that even if you have tried the BoTOC before, you can try them again.
5. The BoTOC Manager (currently OKAllen) will periodically put together a consolidated list in a single post.
6. When contacted by the current BoTOC host, provide your address. If you are going to be out of town or not able to honor your commitment to the BoTOC, direct the current host to skip you (for now) and contact the BoTOC manager (via PM) to have them move you a more suitable position.
7. when the BoTOC arrives in your shaving den, PM the manager to let me know it has arrived.
8. Clean and sanitize the razors that you are interested in trying out. You do not have to try every razor in the band.
9. Shave with your selected razors for no more than ten (10) days. The quicker you can fully experience the BoTOC and move it along to the next person, the better. The BoTOC get restless if they stay in one place too long.
10. When you are done hosting the BoTOC, PM the next person in the list to get their address.
11. Clean and sanitize the razors (again) and ship them (at your cost) to the next person on the list. PM the BoTOC manager when you ship the BoTOC to the next person.
12. Please post your experience with the razors in this thread. Tell us how you felt about the BoTOC razors that you sampled. Plans on acquiring an Open Comb in the future?

List

1. imatabor (Current Host of the BoTOC)
  2. hudson_macbeth (Next Host)
  3. Bman437
  4. Galaktus
  5. captaincaveman
  6. crnkyplyr
  7. Gig103

Expressed Interest but not Qualified

1. WaterDog67 (Join 11/16/2013 // Posts 16 // No activity since last check)

Just off the top of my head: Merkur and Above the Tie. Someone make a hybrid that is a safety bar on one side and OC on the other.

Gentlemen, I regretfully need to be taken off this list. I have just completed a BST trade for a Merkur OC razor. Let those in back of me move up one.
Thanks anyway!

Someone make a hybrid that is a safety bar on one side and OC on the other.

proxy.php

Gentlemen, I regretfully need to be taken off this list. I have just completed a BST trade for a Merkur OC razor. Let those in back of me move up one.
Thanks anyway!

Again, the new rules state that the only disqualification is if you own every model of OC currently on tour. However, if you were solely interested in trying out the Merkur OC, it doesn't make sense to force the issue. I'll take you off and you can always re-apply later to try the others if you so desire.

Regards,

Allen

Rules
1. The Band of Traveling Open Combs (hereafter call the BoTOC) is open to anyone who wishes to try an open comb razor. The only disqualification is if you own every brand and model of Open Combs that are currently in the BoTOC.
2. To participate in the BoTOC, you must meet the qualifications to sell items on B/S/T -- 45 days a member and 50 posts. Note that qualifications may be waived for members with significant contributions or length of membership.
3. Participation is for CONUS members only - to keep costs down and the BoTOC moving along.
4. Post in this thread that you would like to try the current BoTOC. Note that even if you have tried the BoTOC before, you can try them again.
5. The BoTOC Manager (currently OKAllen) will periodically put together a consolidated list in a single post.
6. When contacted by the current BoTOC host, provide your address. If you are going to be out of town or not able to honor your commitment to the BoTOC, direct the current host to skip you (for now) and contact the BoTOC manager (via PM) to have them move you a more suitable position.
7. when the BoTOC arrives in your shaving den, PM the manager to let me know it has arrived.
8. Clean and sanitize the razors that you are interested in trying out. You do not have to try every razor in the band.
9. Shave with your selected razors for no more than ten (10) days. The quicker you can fully experience the BoTOC and move it along to the next person, the better. The BoTOC get restless if they stay in one place too long.
10. When you are done hosting the BoTOC, PM the next person in the list to get their address.
11. Clean and sanitize the razors (again) and ship them (at your cost) to the next person on the list. PM the BoTOC manager when you ship the BoTOC to the next person.
12. Please post your experience with the razors in this thread. Tell us how you felt about the BoTOC razors that you sampled. Plans on acquiring an Open Comb in the future?

List

1. imatabor (Current Host of the BoTOC)
  2. hudson_macbeth (Next Host)
  3. Bman437
  4. captaincaveman
  5. crnkyplyr
  6. Gig103

Expressed Interest but not Qualified

1. WaterDog67 (Join 11/16/2013 // Posts 16 // No activity since last check)

Used the Merkur tonight with a reliable soap. I like the long handle and feel of the razor but after a couple of shaves I can say that it isn't for me. After 3 passes I look like I still have a slight shadow. I also have some redness on the neck so I don't dare another pass or even touching up the neck.
Maybe if I try a sharper blade with such a mild razor?

Last time with the Merkur. I swapped out the blade with a shark and it worked much better. Did 3 passes and hardly any irritation but not what I would call a close shave. In the end the Merkur is just too mild for me.

I want to thank everyone for the chance to try this razor. The box has been sent to Hudson_Macbeth, enjoy.

tried the Merkur, an astra SP, with the fat and must saw that I'm a bit underwhelmed. It's a beautiful razor, but just seemed a fair bit too mild. Are the other two more aggressive?

Top Bottom