What's new

Traveling OC - Try Before You Buy

I used the Gillette New this morning. It was very smooth, and, I think, more mild than the old type.

I doubt this one was produced as a slant-type razor? I am thinking that it is so old that it has somehow acquired a slight tilt to the screw post. From using this one I don't think I'd like a slant razor.

New list below with the change of venue for the Band of Traveling Open Combs.

Step up if you want a free try at both modern and vintage open comb razors.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Rules

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
1. The Band of Traveling Open Combs (hereafter call the BoTOC) is open to anyone who wishes to try an open comb razor. The only disqualification is if you own every brand and model of Open Combs that are currently in the BoTOC.
2. To participate in the BoTOC, you must meet the qualifications to sell items on B/S/T -- 45 days a member and 50 posts. Note that qualifications may be waived for members with significant contributions or length of membership.
3. Participation is for CONUS members only - to keep costs down and the BoTOC moving along.
4. Post in this thread that you would like to try the current BoTOC. Note that even if you have tried the BoTOC before, you can try them again.
5. The BoTOC Manager (currently OKAllen) will periodically put together a consolidated list in a single post.
6. When contacted by the current BoTOC host, provide your address. If you are going to be out of town or not able to honor your commitment to the BoTOC, direct the current host to skip you (for now) and contact the BoTOC manager (via PM) to have them move you a more suitable position.
7. when the BoTOC arrives in your shaving den, PM the manager to let me know it has arrived.
8. Clean and sanitize the razors that you are interested in trying out. You do not have to try every razor in the band.
9. Shave with your selected razors for no more than ten (10) days. The quicker you can fully experience the BoTOC and move it along to the next person, the better. The BoTOC get restless if they stay in one place too long.
10. When you are done hosting the BoTOC, PM the next person in the list to get their address.
11. Clean and sanitize the razors (again) and ship them (at your cost) to the next person on the list. PM the BoTOC manager when you ship the BoTOC to the next person.
12. Please post your experience with the razors in this thread. Tell us how you felt about the BoTOC razors that you sampled. Plans on acquiring an Open Comb in the future?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

List

1. crnkyplyr (Current Host)
  2. captaincaveman (Next Host)
  3. Gig103
  4. WaterDog67
  5. rbfish
  6. FastM3

Expressed Interest but not Qualified

1. <none>

Used the Merkur for the first pass and found it too mild for my liking. I finished the shave with the Gillette Old Type.

On the whole, I liked the Gillette vintage razors. I may have to make a point of stopping in at pawn shops and antique stores looking for some shaving treasures.

Thanks for this opportunity to try different razors. I have purchased an Above the Tie H2 Kronos that I like quite well.

It has arrived. In the box I found 3 OC razors and a bag of miscellaneous small goodies, including a few brands of DE blade that I've been wanting to try. I'll have to contribute a few of my own! :smile:

I tried the Merkur. I am so impressed! It was as mild as described above, yet it managed to shave me to near BBS with almost no effort at all! I used a Personna Lab blue. I'm not sure if it's too mild to go the distance to BBS or if, with practice, I'd get that BBS out of it.

Next shave, I'm jumping over to the short comb Gillette. I might open another Lab to reduce variables, rather than re-using the same one (which I'll save for later when I'm not hosting the Traveling OC).

I just shaved with the short comb. WOW! What a great BBS! Almost perfect. A bit aggressive indeed, I was seeing some tiny weepers, but I can't say I've ever had a BBS from DE without them.

I just shaved with the short comb. WOW! What a great BBS! Almost perfect. A bit aggressive indeed, I was seeing some tiny weepers, but I can't say I've ever had a BBS from DE without them.

I really liked that one, too. It was so easy to handle, albeit the handle was a little short. Another thing I liked about it was that the head was so relatively small compared to the modern razors I've been using. The worst offender, but the deliverer of a great shave, is my Merkur Futur. The head is so large that it obstructs sight of the blade placement when trying to trim a mustache. The Gillette proved a delight for that task.

I just remembered something...on a couple of the difficult spots, when going ATG it skipped like driving at high speed over a washboarded dirt road or a PWC skimming over small waves. I didn't like that.

The small head was neat but didn't really do anything for me either way. I did notice the blade sticking out at the ends.

Tonight I completed the trifecta with the long comb. Did I say "long comb"? I meant sabertooth tiger. It was purring along on my cheeks, smooth and gentle as the softest happiest kitty cat but the most effective razor ever, cutting down to BBS more easily than ever before. I should have taken that as a clue of what was to come. When I got to my neck it was going along swimmingly for WTG. XTG was doing ok but starting to worry me. ATG...oh man, this thing chewed the heck outta my neck.

I have one more shave with these before it's time to send them on to Gig103. Which one should I use? Should I give the long comb another try to see if I can master it? Should I try the short comb again to see if its success can be consistent? Should I try the Merkur again to see if I can get a closer shave with it?

Captain, I just replied to your PM, but if you want to have two more shaves since you can't decide, I'm cool with waiting a bit longer. Take your time!

Tonight I completed the trifecta with the long comb. Did I say "long comb"? I meant sabertooth tiger. It was purring along on my cheeks, smooth and gentle as the softest happiest kitty cat but the most effective razor ever, cutting down to BBS more easily than ever before. I should have taken that as a clue of what was to come. When I got to my neck it was going along swimmingly for WTG. XTG was doing ok but starting to worry me. ATG...oh man, this thing chewed the heck outta my neck.

Cap'n, well told...and entertaining. Your transfusion must have been successful for you to report the incident.

Time ran short so I decided to use the Merkur again, figuring the mild one would be the right choice for when I'm in a hurry. I was right, got a great shave, closer than my first shave with it though a few tiny weepers were showing at the end. My most sensitive spots were itchy tonight before shaving and are pretty red right now, I think from whatever irritation preceded the shave (possibly leftover from the previous shave). Now I want to buy one of those! I had no idea something so mild could do a decent job on my stubble.

Gig103, I might have to take you up on your offer of waiting a bit longer -- not for an extra shave, but because I won't have time to sterilize them until tomorrow night, therefore mailing them the day after tomorrow. My fault for bad scheduling.

I received the package from Captain and got right into it like it was Christmas!
I'm going to use Proraso for all my test shaves since I can get a consistent lather with it and I want to rule that variable out. I have pretty mild growth, and can easily skip a day shaving. That means I should get to try all three by the weekend and then give two of them a second chance (maybe a different blade) next week.

SOTD #1:
Merkur loaded w/ a Gillette (dark) Platinum blade.
Lather - Proraso Sandalwood
AS - Art of Shaving Sandalwood

I'm sure I need to dial in the angle, but I was having issues even getting a DFS with this, despite 3 passes, when the blade/cream combo has been very successful for me in my Muhle R89. Maybe it's mild nature makes it harder to get that auditory cut and blade feel? I didn't find it felt very different while shaving, although I do like how it doesn't just push the lather away it hasn't made a difference for me in the shave that I can tell.

I never could get a good shave out of my merkur. Its not just you. Curious what you make of the Old Type and LC NEW.

Okay, SOTD #2: I'm not sure how to tell the two Gillette's apart, but I used this one (image from post 250):

attachment.php

I think that's the LC New? Anyway, I am only two or three small spots away from a BBS with this (3-pass), and it's the first time I've used the razor. So I'd consider it very easy to find the right angle, easier than my R89 since I can use the open comb to keep an eye on its placement. However, even with the awesome AoS aftershave balm, I'm feeling some irritation a few minutes later, and it did almost bite me three times.

Conclusion: I'm a fan! I'd consider owning one of these but probably stick to two passes or try a slightly less sharp blade than the Platinums to see about the razor burn. Maybe this is what folks with R41s are talking about?

I've been trying to let the growth go a little longer to "take advantage" of the open comb, so my next shave will be the other vintage razor, probably Saturday night or Sunday afternoon. Then I'll pick my favorite of the three for a fourth shave and pass it along.

:thumbup1:

SOTD3: Old Type w/ Proraso red, AoS balm, and Clubman.

The old type / short comb was not my friend! The opposite experience captain had, the SC was causing some razor burn even WTG. Maybe I was hunting for angle and pressing instead of gliding, but I know that at the end of three passes, I had one weeper and a couple nicks. Now that the skin has calmed down, I can tell I got a very close shave, but at the expense of comfort.

My last shave will be one more with the long comb, which was my favorite! Thanks to everyone who donated and organized this so I could participate.

Top Bottom