What's new

Tradesmen, Technicians, & Yes, Even Plumbers* - Share Your Everyday Tool Kit

Gents, here is the latest addition to the tool collection. These were bought by me so I can carry them where I jolly well please. They spend most of their time in my tool bag at home. I am very much sold on Knipex pliers. There are others out there that are very, very good like Klein(I can hear the dissenters now but they still make very heavy duty, serviceable pliers), NWS, Wiha, and others. I like Knipex for their mind boggling selection, multiple finishes, and superbly thought out execution.

$Knipex 1.jpg

$Knipex 2.jpg

$Knipex 3.jpg

The last "electrician" who came to my house had his tools (vice grips, hacksaw blade, adjustable wrench, electrical tape) in a Sponge Bob Square Pants backpack! And no, I am not joking.

The 3 guys he brought with him had no tools at all.

The last "electrician" who came to my house had his tools (vice grips, hacksaw blade, adjustable wrench, electrical tape) in a Sponge Bob Square Pants backpack! And no, I am not joking.

The 3 guys he brought with him had no tools at all.

Oh...my..., I hope you are just joking with this post. I cannot imagine any legitimate Tradesmen showing up at someone's house to work with a kit like that. On the other hand... I would believe just about anything these days.

The other thing that struck me was the fact that four guys showed up. Was this a service call or was this construction or remodel?

Here's the toolkit I used to carry on me every day for about 15 years. There was a lot more tools in the 4 foot long gang box in the back of my truck.

$_MG_0026.jpg

Sfeile, nice kit. Looks like a steel worker set up to me. The wrenches tell the story.

Yup, I was an ironworker for 15 years. Moved into industrial mechanics/millright work after that. Now my "tool bag" is a 4 foot job box and a 54" rollaway. :lol:

Oh...my..., I hope you are just joking with this post. I cannot imagine any legitimate Tradesmen showing up at someone's house to work with a kit like that. On the other hand... I would believe just about anything these days.

The other thing that struck me was the fact that four guys showed up. Was this a service call or was this construction or remodel?

Sadly, it's no joke. But this will explain it: I built a house in Yucatan Mexico where there are very little in the way of codes/laws, the only one I know of is that the main "electrician" on a job site has to have work boots. There are a few "certified" tradesmen in the state, but they are so busy that nobody can really hire them. Most tradesmen here are electricians one day, plumbers the next, masons, the next day, HVAC the next....well you get the picture.

This was a service call to fix some of their mistakes after construction was finished. They fixed 2 problems, and created 2 more. I decided not to have them back again after that.

I'm still finding wiring issues 2 years later.

The latest one, I found that half way through wiring the "pot" style lights in my living room, someone had reversed the ground and live wires as they had used black wire for both and just guessed which was which. They still use single strand sheathed wire (except the ground which is sometimes sheathed, sometimes bare copper wire), and they just pick up whatever is closest to them, so to a light fixture you might get any combination of white, green, red, black, or bare copper wire. It's really frustrating when you have paid someone to do a professional job that a layman could have done better.

Get this, I purchased a fancy tank-less water heater from Japan, which I told them I would install myself as I had experience with this and didn't want the workers to break it. All they had to do was run the wiring to it for the computer controller inside the unit. So, they need, positive, neutral, and ground wires, plus 2 wires which run to the remote control unit inside the house. Very simple right?

Well, I should have done it all myself because when I turned up to install the water heater there were 5 black wires sticking out of the wall waiting for me. I decided to laugh in order to keep the rage away..........

I used one of these CK Technicians tool cases when I was a Heating Engineer.
proxy.php

I had a different selection of tools, carried more wrenches/spanners. A Flue Gas Analyser in the large centre compartment and paperwork in the 'paperwork section' strangely enough:laugh: Mainly Wera screwdrivers, Bahco adjustable spanners, Channel Lock T&G Pliers, Fluke DMM and a few other bits and pieces. Always had a small protective sheet to cover the area I was working in before opening my tool kit.
This was my 'service and repair' kit, my installation kit was usually an open style toolbox of some kind, stuffed with heavier wrenches and pipe fitting equipment.

Last edited:
Toolbox a few of us share. There's 6 total but this is the nicest one as my buddy was very meticulous about how to organize the box. All the drawers are 5S like this.
$20161001_130950.jpg
$20161001_131130.jpg

And my bag I haul around with me doing various things. If it looks messy that's because it is:lol:. I clean them often but they get dirty faster than I can keep up with. Important thing is I know where everything is at. Everything goes back in the same place, unless something was borrowed which is a downside of an open top bag.
$20161001_131621.jpg

I used one of these CK Technicians tool cases when I was a Heating Engineer.
proxy.php

I had a different selection of tools, carried more wrenches/spanners. A Flue Gas Analyser in the large centre compartment and paperwork in the 'paperwork section' strangely enough:laugh: Mainly Wera screwdrivers, Bahco adjustable spanners, Channel Lock T&G Pliers, Fluke DMM and a few other bits and pieces. Always had a small protective sheet to cover the area I was working in before opening my tool kit.
This was my 'service and repair' kit, my installation kit was usually an open style toolbox of some kind, stuffed with heavier wrenches and pipe fitting equipment.

Waren, CK has a VERY good reputation here in the States for tools and other kit. Their bags look interesting to me but we cannot get the selection of them here that you blokes do. And their precision pliers are made in Germany by Schmitz. Even when we can get them the prices are rather dear. I do wish Schmitz would expand some distribution to the States. You lot have it good over on that side of the pond with their distribution.

Toolbox a few of us share. There's 6 total but this is the nicest one as my buddy was very meticulous about how to organize the box. All the drawers are 5S like this.
View attachment 692563
View attachment 692564

And my bag I haul around with me doing various things. If it looks messy that's because it is:lol:. I clean them often but they get dirty faster than I can keep up with. Important thing is I know where everything is at. Everything goes back in the same place, unless something was borrowed which is a downside of an open top bag.
View attachment 692565

Any tool kit that does not have some dust and dirt on it is unused! I am kind of anal about orginisation as well. My old Klein bag always had the same tool in the same pocket. Even if the lights went out I knew by feel which tool was which. More than once I have worked with a torch in my teeth and had to feel for the for the tools. Not often but a few times.

Nice roll away chest orginisation as well.

Any tool kit that does not have some dust and dirt on it is unused! I am kind of anal about orginisation as well. My old Klein bag always had the same tool in the same pocket. Even if the lights went out I knew by feel which tool was which. More than once I have worked with a torch in my teeth and had to feel for the for the tools. Not often but a few times.

Nice roll away chest orginisation as well.

This made me chuckle, our lights are on motion sensors and pretty short timers. So frequently I'll be alone in a room working on something (usually up on a ladder) when the room will go dark on me.
We have to wear hard hats and the LED streamlight I wear on mine has saved me plenty of times.
proxy.php

Yes sir, those motion sensors can get you. We have these models that are supposed to be pressure sensitive as well as infrared motion detection. If you breathe it is supposed to pick up the pressure/sonic wave in the air and switch on or keep it on. I wish someone would tell the sensors that.

Also, Warren mentioned Bahco adjustable wrenches. Outstanding I would say. I have a six inch model from about ten years ago. It does not have country of origin stamped on it but I think it is the Swede version. Super tight tolerances make using it a great experience. I typically detest adjustable spanners because of the sloppy way the jaws hold their settings. Not so the Bahco. It is very precise. I have been told since SnapOn bought them awhile back that production has shifted to Spain and is not as good. I honestly don't know which of the two countries mine came from but I can say that they are better than any Crescent model I have used. I wonder if they are sourced from Irega? Very famous old Spanish tool brand renowned for their adjustables. I believe they make Klein's.

This is the one I have. Model 9029 170mm long. The only photo they have is the 8 inch 9031

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have the same model Bahco, Todd, along with a few others from the range, mainly older models, great tools.
I agree about the sloppy movement on some adjustables, contantly have to fiddle with them to keep good contact!

Top Bottom