What's new

Tradere Breaks Blades

Several times, when I changed blades, I have found that the blade in my Tradere SB is broken down one side. I think it is mostly Feather blades, but I'm not sure. I haven't noticed any difference when I was shaving, so the blade must be clamped in very well. I don't recall ever seeing this with a Futur Progress or ATT razor.

I had this happen to a Feather blade, but I don't recall what razor it happened in. Possibly a Slim. It didn't affect the alignment or performance, and it hasn't happened since.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read here awhile ago about some one else saying something about blades breaking. I can't remember if it was a Tradere or not.

That's really weird. I'm really curious as to what causes them to break. I've never had it happen. I'm guessing that the feather blade is more brittle than most due to a higher carbon content and higher Rockwell hardness; I wonder if it could break a derby, or one of the softer blades?

That's really weird. I'm really curious as to what causes them to break. I've never had it happen. I'm guessing that the feather blade is more brittle than most due to a higher carbon content and higher Rockwell hardness; I wonder if it could break a derby, or one of the softer blades?

The one I linked to was a Gillette Nacet.

What a strange and surprising thing to learn. I wouldn't have thought this could happen.

I've been using my Tradere steadily now for about the past 4 or 6 weeks and it has been in my rotation since I first got it. Mine is a first generation.

I've never had a blade break in it or any other razor. Now mind, I've not used a Feather blade in my Tradere.

It was a really odd idea to me for a blade to split like that at the time. A defective steel mixture was one thought I had. Proving it would require expensive equipment though...

It was a really odd idea to me for a blade to split like that at the time. A defective steel mixture was one thought I had. Proving it would require expensive equipment though...

I'm only somewhat sure they were both Feather blades, but if they were they probably came from the same batch.

I think the Tradere may put a sharper bend in the blade where it is forced over the sharp edge in the head by the cap.

I believe this is a First Gen Tradere SB. I think traded an OC for it a few years ago. It is the best finished S.S. razor I've ever seen. I like it but it is a little on the mild side.

I'm the one who has the Blackbird that splits blades. The Blackbird in question is a black oxide model, and it split Nacets and GSBs.

I haven't had any other blades break in any of my other razors.

I have had blades split lengthwise in my Tradere as well. Not sure if they were Astra SP or Polsilver. Seemed to be related to the shape of the cap. It didn't seem to affect the shave so must have been held tightly along the length, but when changing it out I ended up with 3 thin lengths of sharp metal. So now I'm just very careful when unloading the blades. No way I'm returning my Traderes!! :)

I shaved with a Tradere off and on for several years (a Gen II SB version) and never saw this happen at all. I only use Polsilver SIs.

I've got a 1st gen OC and have never had a problem. One thing I did notice was the exacting tolerances of the razor. The pins that hold the blade are turned so that there is absolutely no play when a blade is installed. I was a bit sceptical of using a razor with the head covering the ends.

Figuring that if the blade misaligned when tightened down there would be no aligning it. The Tradere I have tightens down with perfect blade symmetry due to the close tolerances of the machining.

Say all that to say ..... maybe the pins on yours might be a bit oversize ? Might need a bit knocked off the diameter.

Top Bottom