What's new

Top 3 Coticule Layers

The original coticule.be website is gone, but it is archived on another shaving forum. I don’t think we’re allowed to link to competitor forums, but you’ll find it if you Google “coticule.be archive”

I’ve got my first coticule (it’s also my first natural stone) arriving soon and I’ve been reading it like crazy lately.
One of us should make sure it makes it to the wayback machine

"shavinguniverse"
There's the entire coticule.be forum, coticule vault and all the articles still available.
Very valuable resource for anything related to Coticule honing. Reading the articles and going through the forum posts really solved all my difficulties honing on Coticules. Good research was done.

Little but of a sidetrack but I think we should have the top 3 things you look for in a coticule instead of just vein. Below is what I look for and how I determine if I want the coticule or not.

1) Magnese! Feel like a crazy person reading the tea leaves when I see magnese. Usually if there are tight lines I think it will be more packed with garnets and maybe even finer. If there are spots then usually I think it is going to be not as fine but maybe still comfortable. (Still go for the lookers though 😍)

2) surface. Does it look glassy or does it look like a gravel road up close. I love the glassy stones. Some stones that look 3d/wood grain can be fine as well and very nice edges. Ones that look like gravel/bumpy/blah can sometimes be good, but I found them to be better for progression/knives/ sometimes okay with oil.

3) color of the stone. Feel like this is less of a factor performance wise but could be wrong. Sometimes the colors help reading the other factors easier. I have seen great and meh reds and greens. Have not had a lot of testing with brownish ones but have heard good things.

Side note: I do enjoy the Lats but feel as if it is trying to buy a jnat with a lot of cool renge/sue. Sometimes it is sweet other times it might have flaws that will ruin an edge. I had one I really enjoyed but sold it as it was not as nice as my main stone and didn't want to use it for progression.

Little but of a sidetrack but I think we should have the top 3 things you look for in a coticule instead of just vein. Below is what I look for and how I determine if I want the coticule or not.

1) Magnese! Feel like a crazy person reading the tea leaves when I see magnese. Usually if there are tight lines I think it will be more packed with garnets and maybe even finer. If there are spots then usually I think it is going to be not as fine but maybe still comfortable. (Still go for the lookers though 😍)

2) surface. Does it look glassy or does it look like a gravel road up close. I love the glassy stones. Some stones that look 3d/wood grain can be fine as well and very nice edges. Ones that look like gravel/bumpy/blah can sometimes be good, but I found them to be better for progression/knives/ sometimes okay with oil.

3) color of the stone. Feel like this is less of a factor performance wise but could be wrong. Sometimes the colors help reading the other factors easier. I have seen great and meh reds and greens. Have not had a lot of testing with brownish ones but have heard good things.

Side note: I do enjoy the Lats but feel as if it is trying to buy a jnat with a lot of cool renge/sue. Sometimes it is sweet other times it might have flaws that will ruin an edge. I had one I really enjoyed but sold it as it was not as nice as my main stone and didn't want to use it for progression.
Yep, glassy and manganese covered is the way to go. I try to get natural combos mostly and finding manganese all throughout the bbw is usually a pretty darn good sign that the yellow side it's attached to is top shelf.

Top Bottom