What's new

Toothpick’s Cigar Compendium

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Great stix. Can I just say a few words about 64 degrees in February? I'm arriving on flight 438 and will live in your crawl space. I will only emerge briefly to grab the occasional cigar . . . or toast and jelly.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
You don’t have to stay in the crawlspace. I‘ve got a shed out back with a recliner and futon. And tonight we ate stuffed turkey breast. Might be some leftovers.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I remembered why I gave up cigars a few years ago....they can be really freaking frustrating at times. Like down right BLEEP you off.

I tried again tonight with half of the A Fuente from yesterday. A nice 64 degrees, been rainy all day so a bit damp but that’s ok. I’ll sit on my porch with a beer and light it up.

888B2A05-0FA1-480F-B20F-351BFB6F5699.jpeg

Start lighting it and my lighter runs out of fuel. OK, no big deal. I set the cigar down and run inside to find another lighter. Come back out and the wind rolled it in to a puddle. *sigh* That’s fine. I’ll just go get another.

Grab a Kuba Kuba and head back out. Notice some lightning in the distance, no thunder. Seems fine. I light up the Kuba Kuba, get what I think is a decent light. At least the wind didn’t blow out the flame this time. Ample smoke, tastes good. Doing well.

C96630F4-02CB-4954-8B50-335B3EF7E05E.jpeg CCDF7E06-8B4E-434D-9466-B9EBDD4D5920.jpeg

So I decide to peel off the label and the leaf comes off with it! Nice glue job Acid!!

EBA2FA78-E345-40FE-9FDF-9FDB2F4D7C42.jpeg

Then I notice it’s not getting much ash for as long as I’ve been smoking. Appears to be burning down the middle again. Fine, whatever. I need to practice lighting the cigar. Not a big deal. I touch it up and continue on.

Next thing I know the wind picks up and it starts raining. Hard. I’m on the porch, not getting wet. Should be fine. Wrong. Starts blowing sideways right on the porch, right on me! A few curse words later and I’m heading inside. I cut the burnt end off the cigar (once again!) and I’m done. My freaking luck!

So anyway, tomorrow I’m going to head to the cigar shop and pick up several inexpensive (but good) cigars to practice the whole lighting thing. I’m not wasting my good stuff anymore.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It will get better man. I have been smoking cigars for a long time and everything is second nature, but you do need to make sure the end is lit satisfactorily before hunkering down.
I like to char/toast the end holding the lighter at an angle to the cigar. Once the end it uniformly toasted I put in my mouth and light it. I hold the lighter a bit away from the end puffing one it while rotating the cigar so all of it gets equally hit by the flame. I’ll will then look at the end to ensure that it’s entirely white with ash, as well as see that the wrapper is uniformly lit as well. In your first pic I can see a bit of the wrapper is unburnt making me think it’s not lit entirely.
38CB7D88-59C6-4172-B1E2-621965C0ECA6.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Bingo! I KNEW I WAS FORGETTING SOMETHING!

I charred the end like you suggested but never put it to my lips to finish lighting. That likely accounts for the burn down the middle too. I'm still not going to risk the good stuff until I can sufficiently light it. I think I saw some decent Macanudo's for around 5 bucks.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Got some cigarillos coming from CI. I’ve got time at work to smoke, but IDK if I can get away with a full cigar.

7354070B-F254-4565-BAF4-2365F0E92393.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
those are good huh? I was hoping to get a few cigarillos at the cigar shop but they didn‘t have much to choose from. They had a couple Davidoff but wanted $35 for them..pass

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
This is what frustrates me. Two 320g 72% Boveda in both with an extra 60g 72% in the larger Executive humidor. Been going for about 3 days solid. 64.2 degrees in the room. Yet vastly different readings on both humidors. WTH!

The Flavored humidor has been 74% for about 2 days. The Executive went from 72% down to 70%. Temps have remained steady. These readings have been the same since Wednesday.

I constantly hear guys saying stuff like ”I just put a Boveda pack in there and it holds steady day after day” and “I’ve had a 69% Boveda in there for years and it never fluctuates”. OK, so what is my problem then?

868FB66A-1BEA-433F-9FB3-F3295896B9BA.png

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It’s possible the flavored cigars came wet and the unflavored came dry. Give it time.

I heard a story once where a car maker, I think it was Subaru, equipped their cars with accurate oil pressure gauges in the instrument cluster. Now cars can run perfectly fine on a range of oil pressures, but the gauges had such fine resolution that Subaru was getting inundated by warranty calls because cars were running a few pounds higher or lower than “optimum” oil pressures and owners thought the cars had oil pressure problems. Supposedly the next year they used pressure sensors that only showed low med and high.

The point being as long as the humidity is “around” 70, and the sticks smoke fine, I wouldn’t stress it too much. A too wet stick will become hard to smoke as it swells and may even split. Too dry and it may taste acrid and may unravel, warp, etc. Personally I never had a cigar from a humidified humidor be too dry.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Just funny cause they all came from the same cigar shop. And my Cubans will be here tomorrow or Saturday and I reallllly don‘t want to jack those up. I know there is some (a little or a lot) humidity in there. Those big ole Bovedas are going to be putting out something. I’m wondering if the Butlers are jacked. I have some calibration packs coming tomorrow and I’m going to calibrate them again.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I take naps basically these days. Working 3rd shift on the weekend really screws up your sleep cycle.

So I switched the Butlers around and I guess they are reading somewhat accurate. They both got basically the same readings in different humidors. A little bit cooler this morning but RH is pretty much the same. So anyway, I won’t stress so much. Still seems odd to me.

E662D44B-B304-4C6F-A60E-798ACC6E3A8C.jpeg 1D67C980-9892-42BA-908E-EBC1C70E96B6.jpeg

And guess what I got today......

5911E403-4803-4B5F-9097-F1585AF45CB7.jpeg

E621CEB2-80B8-4CC2-B157-7D3461A08E11.jpeg

C90A0C35-D9ED-4A15-AE87-F81BB3E325D7.jpeg

CFDB7191-1A63-413C-8F45-828B3E81271B.jpeg

My humidor is starting to fill out!

3B72BAF2-48D3-4506-89E8-8F80412C81E9.jpeg

B5B8AA52-2308-4C36-B23B-05019776CF0D.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I also put a 60g Boveda in the bottom with the Cubans. Hopefully next week is nice enough to smoke one. My first chance will be Monday evening.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I’ll add that a humidor that’s full or mostly full should hold humidity better than one that’s mostly empty. You may see fluctuation in the humidity until you get it up to capacity, and then I’d expect it to even out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom