What's new

Too many tea infusion options!

So as the title implies, I am looking for a tea infusion mechanism. I've seen mugs with built-ins, pitchers with built-ins, tiny metal/silicone infusers you dip into the mug, and infusing pitchers that go on top of mugs! Needless to say, I am slightly overwhelmed by the number of options.

I'm new to loose-leaf as I currently only use bags. I'm looking for something that I can use at work that will be quick and not too messy. I definitely like the design of the gravity infusers, so I'm leaning towards those or some sort of infusion pitcher. Any first-hand experience is appreciated!

Finum makes a good one and they coming all sizes to fit your mug and a set of digital scales so your can wight out, 3gs per cup..

Hi,

The doctor too my coffee away from me about 2 years ago now. But he didn't say anything about tea and I didn't ask.:laugh:

What I've learned from my own experience in making loose tea, is to use the largest infuser that fits the cup or pot. This allows the each leaf to get the best exposure to the hot water that it can get. Too small and you start losing flavor and aroma. All most any well made stainless steel infuser works fine. So buy more on price and less on name.

For work I use a Teavana travel mug that came with a stainless wire basket that works great and has held up for nearly 2 years now. A bit costly at $25US but it has held up in a machine shop environment.

I just recently purchased a Tovolo travel infuser. Only used it twice so far. The infuser is a bit smallish IMO, but I do like that it has an air hollow in the handle to store extra tea to take along. And not badly priced on Amazon.

Dalee

I have had an ingenuiTEA that I have used for 5 years. You put the tea and water in it let it steep for the prescribed time then set it on top of your cup and it drains right out. Then you just rinse out the infuser. I got mine at Adagio.com.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have had an ingenuiTEA that I have used for 5 years.

I have something very similar that I've used regularly for something close to ten years, and it's still going strong. If the spring/drain mechanism ever starts to get a little sticky, I just pop it in the dishwasher or run a hot water/vinegar solution through it a few times. It does an excellent job.

I have had an ingenuiTEA that I have used for 5 years. You put the tea and water in it let it steep for the prescribed time then set it on top of your cup and it drains right out. Then you just rinse out the infuser. I got mine at Adagio.com.

I have the same thing and absolutely love it!!

That sounds like +3 for the Adagio teapot. I see it is available on Amazon and with free two-day shipping will be here on Tuesday. That offer sounds too good to refuse. Better throw some add-on tea in the cart while I'm at it...

I like to use a Tea Cup with Infuser and Lid. Where the lid does double duty to help preserve heat in the cup while steeping, then as a holder for the infuser. And if you happen to stop the brewing process prematurely, can simply reinsert the infuser to extend the brewing time. Something like this Forlife branded model or a Roy Kirkham inspired mug (there are various designs available but they are getting hard to find).
proxy.php

I like to use a Tea Cup with Infuser and Lid. Where the lid does double duty to help preserve heat in the cup while steeping, then as a holder for the infuser. And if you happen to stop the brewing process prematurely, can simply reinsert the infuser to extend the brewing time. Something like this Forlife branded model or a Roy Kirkham inspired mug (there are various designs available but they are getting hard to find).
proxy.php

oh man that's a nice setup too! I'll have to decide which one I think I'll make less of a mess with before buying

I use a Curve tea pot and the stainless infuser that came with it is great. I usually only make tea by the pot, and the Curve pot I have is perfect for about 3 large mugs of tea. I also have a couple of Finum infusers for my larger tea pots that came without infusers. They work very well also. If I make tea in my Brown Betty (a real antique pot from I don't know when... I have had it for almost 30 years) I just put the loose tea in the pot and then pour into a serving pot.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
oh man that's a nice setup too! I'll have to decide which one I think I'll make less of a mess with before buying
If I may remind you that this is Badger & Blade, and the clear B&B solution is to buy both (and the curve, and the clay pot, and the gaiwan, and the . . . . )

If I may remind you that this is Badger & Blade, and the clear B&B solution is to buy both (and the curve, and the clay pot, and the gaiwan, and the . . . . )

Oh boy, there appears to be a CEC Operative notation in my signature line as well... I guess I could justify once for home and one for work. Maybe one for each of the other sinks in the house too :tongue_sm

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I use something very similar to what stillshaving posted. It didn't come with a mug but has a lid that fits over the infuser and acts as a drip tray afterwards I think I paid $5 for it at the local coffee/tea place. When you are done just tap the basket on the side of the trash can to empty the tea and rinse out for later.

Do you have an idea of what kind of teas you are gonna be drinking?

I'd stay away from clay pots until you have a good idea that you are buying one for a particular type of tea. A ~100ml white porcelain gaiwan might not be ideal for work but if you are thinking about trying all the tea in China it could be the best ~$5 you ever spend, it will make the world's finest teas sing and get the best out of the cheap and midrange ones. The coffee threads kinda depress me in that regard, decent grinders, brewing set ups or roasters cost a lot and take up space in comparison to sourcing good tea leaves and dumping them into a gaiwan with some hot water. With coffee I always think spending hundreds of pounds will make a better brew, with tea I'm pretty confident it doesn't get much better than what my gaiwan can deliver. The guys that are buying tea for commercial purposes or judging competition teas are usually doing it in plain white porcelain.

*edit* crosspost with Doc4, I was thinking this sort of thing but pretty much the same:
http://yunnansourcing.com/en/gaiwans/1462-white-porcelain-gaiwan-for-gong-fu-cha-brewing-100ml.html

Any loose leaf tea might be a bit of a stretch as I struggle with some Japanese green teas and some Indian/African black teas in the gaiwan due to tiny/borken leaf......but on the whole gaiwan FTW!

Last edited:
I drink mostly black teas, earl grey being the most common. I will mix the occasional green, white, and herbal in as well. I'm definitely looking for something that will give me >1 cup of tea per round. (>8oz/>250ml)

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm definitely looking for something that will give me >1 cup of tea per round. (>8oz/>250ml)

Do you mean you are looking for something that will hold up to more than one steeping? If so, many green teas do that very well. In fact, many even improve on a second or third steeping, and some can go on further than that. I am not as familiar with white teas, but I understand they do well, also.

Then, there's puerh. I know so very little about it, but it is all about multiple steepings. Check out the Sheng of the Day thread to get an idea.

As far as "herbal teas" (tisanes) go, quite a few of the herbs I've tried do well with, at least, a second steeping. Rooibus does especially well. Chamomile is another that comes to mind, although it does not hold up as well. Mint teas do fairly well, too.

Do you mean you are looking for something that will hold up to more than one steeping? If so, many green teas do that very well. In fact, many even improve on a second or third steeping, and some can go on further than that. I am not as familiar with white teas, but I understand they do well, also.

I just meant that I will typically throw a tea bag in a large mug and brew 10-12oz so it will be enough to get me through meetings. Although you have given me a whole bunch of suggestions to try! I don't have much exposure to the tea world, but have tried most of Bigelow's bag teas and love their plantation mint (although their earl grey is my absolute favorite). I had an excellent locally grown white tea in Hawaii and I've been looking for something similar ever since.

Upton tea has a very large selection of every kind of tea broken down by country of origin.
I just meant that I will typically throw a tea bag in a large mug and brew 10-12oz so it will be enough to get me through meetings. Although you have given me a whole bunch of suggestions to try! I don't have much exposure to the tea world, but have tried most of Bigelow's bag teas and love their plantation mint (although their earl grey is my absolute favorite). I had an excellent locally grown white tea in Hawaii and I've been looking for something similar ever since.

Top Bottom