What's new

Tonkotsu on the stove

Wife is not impressed with the way the house smells, and she is letting me know about it every chance she gets.:a13:

Decidedly less work than the Shoyu ramen attempt. The hard part was finding the bones. For some unknown reason Safeway got in cut up pig's feet instead of their usual, smoked version, so I nabbed a 2lb pack to go with the shoulder and rib bones I got when we went to the medium sized city yesterday. Plus I found pork belly. Going to make the Chashu in the instant pot in the morning. I have tomorrow off.

15 hours later and the broth is done. Getting a quick chill outside in 37 degree weather, and a bunch of Ice packs.

Two observations:
1-Mine does not look like what was on the net. Maybe because I was going for a clearer broth and their's was cloudy
2-The super strong smell dissipated the longer it was on the stove. I actually thought it would get stronger.

Getting started on the Chashu.

15 hours later and the broth is done. Getting a quick chill outside in 37 degree weather, and a bunch of Ice packs.

Two observations:
1-Mine does not look like what was on the net. Maybe because I was going for a clearer broth and their's was cloudy
2-The super strong smell dissipated the longer it was on the stove. I actually thought it would get stronger.

Getting started on the Chashu.

I didn't think the broth was cloudy prior to adding the dashi? I'll have to check my ramen books when I go home.

I didn't think the broth was cloudy prior to adding the dashi? I'll have to check my ramen books when I go home.

No dashi in the tonkotsu recipes I have seen.

After doing some reading and watching videos it looks like, instead of cooking the broth at a boil the whole time I simmered it. So, clear broth not cloudy.

Last edited:
Turned out mighty tasty. The solids in the broth settled out and the whole thing jellied nicely. My youngest told me to stop calling it piggy jell-o.

Made a well reduced tare because the broth was very light tasting. I do not use Mirin because all could find was the weird stuff in the Asian section. Kind of like the "cooking sherry". I just don't want to use something I won't drink straight. Since I don't drink, just taste it before using it, it better be really good. No, I don't taste half the bottle. I use the left overs in another dish or make extra sauce for later.

Chashu was awesome. Having now made chashu from both pork shoulder and pork belly in the same way, I can say for certain that there is no comparison. Pork belly wins hands down.

In order to finish off the wine and sake I'm making more chashu marinade and tare tonight.

Took a long time to make fast food. :001_smile

Hats off to you, Nate. This is a side of Japanese cuisine that deserves more attention.
Actually, from what I see here in NYC, proper ramen has really taken off in popularity.

Thanks

My sons and I stumbled on a little out of the way place in Las Vegas that had really tasty ramen. It was our first non-top ramen experience and everything else has paled in comparison since. Living in the middle of no where our options are limited so I decided to see what it took to make it.

It is not labor intensive, it just takes a long time to do it right. I think doing it this way also gives my boys a better understanding of what goes into different foods.

We haven't done the meats like you -- and I just love chashu -- but my wife does a nice job with the seasoned soft-boiled eggs, which are another big thing I love about a really good bowl of ramen.

I have failed big on the eggs. 6 minutes and a shock chill = hardly set whites. Then I go 7 minutes and almost there but 8 minutes too long. I'm thinking it has something to do with altitude. We are are 4300 feet.

I've done this 3 times now and each time it gets better. A labor of love. And has gotten my son interested in cooking. He watches but is hesitant about jumping in.

I've done this 3 times now and each time it gets better. A labor of love. And has gotten my son interested in cooking. He watches but is hesitant about jumping in.

That's awesome! Mine s at the mash and mix stage cooking. He will squeeze a banana, or mix flour all day long, but hates that we actually have to cook! He was upset the other dy that we had to cook pancakes and could not just et the batter as is, lol.

That's awesome! Mine s at the mash and mix stage cooking. He will squeeze a banana, or mix flour all day long, but hates that we actually have to cook! He was upset the other dy that we had to cook pancakes and could not just et the batter as is, lol.

My son is 13. Finally getting out of his finicky stage and trying new things.

Top Bottom