What's new

Tom's Intro to Straights - Down the rabbit hole I go

For me, the nostalgic smell of the barber shop is a combination of Clubman and Double Bubble, the reward for sitting still in the barber's chair as a young boy.

It looks like I am just a bit behind you on this journey and I enjoy reading your journal and seeing the suggestions you get. I too have fallen in love with this straight razor thing and find myself looking at straights all the time! Have to resist the urge to buy since I really don't know what I am looking at LOL

For me, the nostalgic smell of the barber shop is a combination of Clubman and Double Bubble, the reward for sitting still in the barber's chair as a young boy.

Yeah.... I'll keep trying it for a week and see how I end up liking it... Worst case, it ends up in a PIF right?

It looks like I am just a bit behind you on this journey and I enjoy reading your journal and seeing the suggestions you get. I too have fallen in love with this straight razor thing and find myself looking at straights all the time! Have to resist the urge to buy since I really don't know what I am looking at LOL

Thank you for reading! I hope my rants help you out at some point along the way. Regarding straights, I tend to look for ones that are already in polished condition and already honed. YMMV on how sharp the blade is. Since I don't own stones and I am impatient to send it off and get it back, this has worked out for me so far. Of course name brands carry a heavier price, but there are so many great straights for relatively low price ($20-$30) that you can go down a deep rabbit hole quickly. :)

Tom, you had an amazing shave today, even with the little blood loss. I think you've come a very long way in a very short period of time. For me, the most important part of your success is the excitement and enjoyment you are getting from your daily shaves. A big Friday Congratulations!

Thank you for the compliments! Today is definitely a good day and it is the weekend!

Very very nice shave today Tom - good detail and thoughts in today's entry - even though there were two cuts. I seemed to get the most cuts on the initial touchdown of the blade on the face (or lip, tragus, neck, etc.), it happens, but they heal quickly and do not seem to scar. You are definitely on your way down the rabbit hole. I am sure that new Shavemac brush will work out great after it is used for a 1/2 dozen times and breaks in a bit.

Sounds like you are getting there. I have had those cuts before, good ol' sideways movement when you pause before or after the stroke...for me I think it was setting the blade on my cheek and dropping my hand a bit. Just keep the lather slick and you will figure the rest out.

As for a strop. The poor man is not a bad way to go, he also has a balsa strop kit you might want to get at the same time. I have purchased a couple of strops from Amazon that were under $20, one is 3 inches wide and not too bad for a simple strop. I've made a couple too, they can be made pretty cheaply if you have some time and a little skill. Hobby Lobby has scrap leather bags that often have longer strips of good leather or you can order from Tandy Leather a 2.5" belt of leather.

If you think you are looking at razors now, wait until you figure out how to hone your own razors. OMG, you will see EVERY razor as a possible great deal.

Very very nice shave today Tom - good detail and thoughts in today's entry - even though there were two cuts. I seemed to get the most cuts on the initial touchdown of the blade on the face (or lip, tragus, neck, etc.), it happens, but they heal quickly and do not seem to scar. You are definitely on your way down the rabbit hole. I am sure that new Shavemac brush will work out great after it is used for a 1/2 dozen times and breaks in a bit.

Yep - I am looking forward to the Shavemac's performance a month from now. It will be glorious.... I hope. :)

Sounds like you are getting there. I have had those cuts before, good ol' sideways movement when you pause before or after the stroke...for me I think it was setting the blade on my cheek and dropping my hand a bit. Just keep the lather slick and you will figure the rest out.

As for a strop. The poor man is not a bad way to go, he also has a balsa strop kit you might want to get at the same time. I have purchased a couple of strops from Amazon that were under $20, one is 3 inches wide and not too bad for a simple strop. I've made a couple too, they can be made pretty cheaply if you have some time and a little skill. Hobby Lobby has scrap leather bags that often have longer strips of good leather or you can order from Tandy Leather a 2.5" belt of leather.

If you think you are looking at razors now, wait until you figure out how to hone your own razors. OMG, you will see EVERY razor as a possible great deal.

I reached out to Larry to get a set of the flawed poor man's strop. Why? Because it is cheap and this rabbit hole is not cheap. When things get better for me, I will invest in a better one. I read that Tony Miller gets rave reviews. And regarding honing OMG it is a whole new world man. And if you include the different "finishing" stones, forget about it. I saw a restoration tutorial on how to use the Dremel to make "almost" any razor come back to life. Unbelievable. I can see why I see so many nice ones on eBay now. TBH, I don't have the patience and time to go thru all of that YET. We'll see how it goes though.

Excellent work my friend and the fact that YOU did not notice the straight cuts until they were pointed out means that your razor is truly Shave Ready as when they are in that state you often do not feel the cuts, they just appear later on:thumbup:

I saw a restoration tutorial on how to use the Dremel to make "almost" any razor come back to life. Unbelievable. I can see why I see so many nice ones on eBay now.

Lol. I read this right after the firat time I used my dremel to polish a straight. Yup, it works, and yup, I'll be racing you to the bottom of the rabbit hole.

Very very nice shave today Tom - good detail and thoughts in today's entry - even though there were two cuts. I seemed to get the most cuts on the initial touchdown of the blade on the face (or lip, tragus, neck, etc.), it happens, but they heal quickly and do not seem to scar.

I had these as well. I eventually learned to avoid them by:
  • touching the spine to my face first, and then moving the blade to the correct shaving angle; and
  • starting midway through where I wanted to shave and moving up.

The blade would bite my face or I would end up at too steep and angle. So I over corrected and went for an angle that wouldn't cut me. It helped a good deal.

I'd start even with my earlobe, and then move up towards my side burn. With regular shaving I'd just start at the top, with my side burn and move down. This seems to help as well.

Appreciate all the help and support guys!

First time shaving with over 24 hour growth (1.5 days).

Tonight's set up:
Bisby Sheffield Razor (discounted via eBay from Geneva razor seller)
Simpson Special in Best
Strop Shoppe Vivace LE soap
Stirling Witch Hazel
Vie Jon Old Spice
Stirling unscented AS balm

proxy.php

proxy.php

Pre-notes:
The razor was obtained from one of my prior eBay transaction seller. He offered me a partial refund for the Geneva not being perfectly centered when closing. So instead, I asked him to give me a discount on another razor. I decided on this one because it seemed unique and I liked the blade's etching. Also it's from Sheffield so the steel has to be good right?

proxy.php

I decided on the Strop Shoppe soap since I haven't tried it in awhile and I miss it. I saw a post today resurrecting an old thread about it closing. I do regret not stocking up on any Russian Tea. All sold out before I got the chance.

Prep notes:

So I bought the Simpson Colonel in Best and the hairs were very soft. Comparable to the softness of my EJ super and Shavemac Finest. I did a comparison to my Simpson Special in Best and the Special is a tad more prickly. I have read that Best from Simpson can have some inconsistencies. So it was interesting to see this first hand.

The Vivace soap did not disappoint. It is a thristy soap. Not as much as the Fat but almost there. The slickness is above average but falls slightly short compared to Tabac and the Fat. I do enjoy the scent the most since it isn't overwhelming and just there.

The Shave:
So I did 3.5 passes today: WTG, XTG, ATG, hybrid ATG/XTG

The first two passes were smooth. Since I have been doing this for a week, my hands naturally switch over to the necessary grips without thinking now. I'm surprised how comfortable I am with the blade in my hand.

So during the 3rd pass I tried to be very careful. I believe during my last shave this is where I cut myself. The shave seemed positive. Hairs were cutting and it seemed like I was getting pretty close to the hairs.

After the 3rd rinse, I would say my cheeks were BBS, parts of my face was DFS, and the outer parts of my lips and chin were CCS.

The outer parts of my lips and chin is were the 0.5 comes in. I felt that I could get closer and get DFS. I feel that I got BBS on the outer lip but only parts of my chin were DFS. Damn chin angles LOL. During this time, I did end up causing a spec of blood on the upper lip which was solved with the alum.

The alum block and AS splash didn't sting as much as it did the other day. This is a huge plus in my book.

I am going to give it at least 20-30 min to see if I cut myself again though.

I believe the whole routine took me 40-45 minutes which is still longer than I want. I'm sure this will go down over time though. I think my goal once I become "proficient" is 15-20 min for a DFS 2 pass shave.

The alum block and AS splash didn't sting as much as it did the other day. This is a huge plus in my book.

I believe the whole routine took me 40-45 minutes which is still longer than I want. I'm sure this will go down over time though. I think my goal once I become "proficient" is 15-20 min for a DFS 2 pass shave.

I noticed the sting becoming less and less as my technique improved. It was a major plus to me as well. My face also felt less irritated and less dry during the day.

Going slow in the beginning allows you to master technique. This applies to many things, but it is important with straights because going too fast can easily result in paying in blood. I'm still slower than I want to be, but I don't worry about it anymore. I'm glad to see you are making great progress!

New day, new week! After so many days of straights, I wanted to know if I should still DE shave. I went with my trusty Aristocrat with GSB blade (10+ shaves on it and still butterly smooth). I went with the FAT and the Maggard's purple handle synth.

Side note: Around Christmas time, my brother said he was having issues with acne and skin on his face. So I gave him a starter set:
A Gillette tech
A TTO Weishi
Razorock XXX
Old Spice shaving cream
Omega Boar brush
Maggard's Synth Brush
Shaving Bowl
Stirling AS Balm (forget the scent)
5 packs of Astra
I was over my parent's house this weekend and realized the kit got no love and he said he's sticking with the carts. Saddened by this, he gave me the items back. So after a 6 month hiatus, the Maggard's gets a little bit of loving. On a plus note, I think now I have enough supplies to do two beginners starter kits in the Noobie section. Stay tuned for those who enjoy that kindof stuff. :)

Back to shave....
The Maggard's brush loaded very easily (15-20 sec load time). It retains a decent amount of water and I feel like I created the rich lather of the FAT quicker than some of my badger brushes. The flow through is very solid and created loads of lather (probably enough for 4-5 passes). Now I have been primarily using badgers so moving back to a synth was interesting since it felt soft, but I could feel the "unnatural" hairs more. This could be due to my grown experience in brushes. For now, it is a keeper. I am still waiting for my three Muhle synths to come in for comparison.

Side note 2: I bought the three Muhle synths in a BST here. Fedex really screwed this one up. It was shipped from Cali to NY. It came to my office but they claimed to have "failed delivery twice". I didn't understand this since my building is staffed during normal business hours. And it got shipped back to Cali. FML... So I told the seller to resend it and hoping for better luck in round 2.

Okay enough tangents and back to the shave... I promise....
First pass - I don't know if it is because of the FAT and I got perfect lather or my gained experience with the straights, but this was probably one of the BEST 1st passes I have ever had shaving. I was left with DFS and almost thought about stopping there. With the straights, the attention to detail is key and you focus on a soft yet precise touch. I think the lessons transferred to my DE shaving techniques. It didn't seem like I was doing anything different but it could be muscle memory with how my touch has evolved.

Second pass - Like I said, I had lather for days so no issues with loading my face with the FAT. I went with a simple ATG with the occasional touch up since my face was still very slick. Really nothing to say but the shave was a BBS and the typical trouble areas were DFS+

Post shave: Alum block had barely any sting. I know I didn't need it but the shave went so well, I wanted to see if there would be any sting. I stood correct and there was nothing.
I finished it off with Stirling Witch Hazel, Proraso AS balm, and Stirling AS Balm for moisturizer.

Overall, it was a good change of pace and a great shave. I knew I wouldn't have time to do a straight routine this morning so the DE was nice. My plan is to keep the Aristocrat, New SC, and a Tech for the time being. I will be downsizing the razors and blades though since I have way too many. Damn Excaliber Club has me using blades 10-30x times before I dispose them :)

Catching up - you're really doing well! :thumbup1:

And regarding DE razors: I've kept half a dozen or so and still work them into the rotation. I still enjoy using them. And you're right about ths results with the DE being better after having used the straight for a while.

Catching up - you're really doing well! :thumbup1:

And regarding DE razors: I've kept half a dozen or so and still work them into the rotation. I still enjoy using them. And you're right about ths results with the DE being better after having used the straight for a while.

Thank you sir!

So I am done with the straight razor passaround box. After much back and forth contemplating, I decided to hold onto the Frameback razor since it gave me one of my closest shaves and it is a different experience compared to the others. I am waiting for my office admin to provide tracking information which I should get tomorrow.

So today's shave is with the Frameback. I don't know if it's because it's a frameback or a Swedish razor, but the razor wants to move fast and quite nimble for a large profile razor. I used the shavemac finest and used the valobra crema. I think the shavemac has too much flow through right now where I see the lather being utilized the first 1.5 passes. I believe I reloaded once.

I did 2.5 passes. The half pass was just sideburns and cheeks ATG. This left me with a CCS/DFS. It was definitely not as close as my DE shave but still very good. I did a pretty good job today around the upper and lower lips this time around. I thought there would be some stinging with the alum but there was none.

I followed up with some Old Spice AS and it burned pretty well.

So no complaints so far!

Fine shave and a fine choice of razors. Do not be discouraged. You might have to invest 50 to 75 shaves before you can consistently out perform the results you get from a DE.

Top Bottom