What's new

Toggle, not "toggling"

So Mr. Mejnoon PIF'd me a gold Toggle, that had the adjusting knob frozen at 4, but otherwise in great shape.

After removing the toggle, I tapped the center rod out, removing the door assembly.

Shot it full of mineral oil for an overnight soak, no help. Scrubbing bubbles, elbow grease, and a lot of hot water, and a pair of pliers got the knob moving again(used a piece of leather to protect the razor dont worry)
No adjustment still.
Soaked in more scrubbing bubbles, then hot water, then moved the tray back and forth repeatedly till all the crud started falling out :w00t:

Finally, it adjusted!
Put it back together, tried it again, it works!

However, the toggle, while it locks up tight, when flipped, needs to be pressed upwards to open the doors now.

How can I fix this?:blushing:

Hmn, it was working before I pulled it apart, so I assume that it is supposed to snap the doors open when flipped.
I checked where I was working for a retaining ring, but no dice.:confused:

Something must act effectively as a retaining ring or retention spring because the toggles I've had (3 in total) all toggle open without having to be pushed. There seems to be a sping like mechanism internally.

Of note, I can see why the toggle design was abandoned in favor of the Fat Boy, the complexities of the adjustment mechanism leads to frequent jamming with a bit of crud buildup. The first toggle I got had a frozen adjustmment mechanism.

I thought this was normal for the Toggle. Mine operates the same way.

DL

My Toggle is supposed to have a two step toggle, and it sounds like thats what you're describing.

Here is the description in the manual:

proxy.php

Not exactly, in the picture with the toggle at a right angle to the handle, on mine you can pull it down, or push it up without resistance, and before, a spring or something held it tight like the picture.

I just double checked my toggle and there is a spring mechanism. When the toggle is horizontal, the doors are open. But I can close them by pulling the toggle down yet keeping it horizontal. When I release it springs back up. There must be a spring internally that was not re-engaged when you reassembled the razor. Perhaps you can find and re-engage it!

Aha. I have the same type of trouble with a fatboy of mine. It moves up and down in that same loose way. How did you get the toggle off BTW?

Are you missing a ball bearing?
proxy.php

BTW, how did you get the pin out to remove the toggle? I have a toggle with the same adjustment problems: it wont go below 5.

I would not anticipate any problem with an ultrasonic cleaner, but not sure that will successfully loosen a frozen adjustment switch.

Over on The Shave Den, there is a thread on the partial dismantling of a toggle including a description of how to pop out the retaining pin to remove the toggle piece.

There is a pin on the toggle, that can be driven out using 1/16th brass rod, be sure to tap on the smooth side, not the knurled side of the pin.
I have the ball-bearing.

I'll be working on it tomorrow.

So I got the pin out and the toggle off but it didn't seem to help me at all in disassembling the razor. I cannot get the center rod out.

that was my problem too. There is a retaining ring in there that can be very stubborn. keep pushing on the center rod, eventually it will pop out. Couple warnings: Don't try to pull/pry from the silo doors or their base. Also be aware that the retaining ring on mine broke when I finally popped it out. I am guessing that the ring not being in place is what is causing this one not to spring open, unless the spring is actually missing.

aye, I used a leather wraped 2 oz hammer, gave it a few taps and it popped loose.

My spring is in there, but no retaining ring now, and nothing I use seems to work. I may have to try and take it apart even further.:eek:

so as it stands now, does it still function? the toggle peice just doesnt "snap" into place like it should?

Correct.
It adjusts, and the toggle will lock the doors down good and tight, just no snapping action that opens the silo doors when the toggle is fixed.

I may just put it back together and ship it to ya as is, let you use it, or try and get it to snap.:001_tt2:

Top Bottom