What's new

TOBS testers

In a bid to try find a shave cream that worked for me inlather/quality of shave/irritation and smell, I decided to get some testersfrom shavedash.com. After looking at various threads I plumped for nine 10ml potsof TOBS ranging from 95p to £1.40. I did not select coconut as I’m not a fan ofthe smell, whilst almond and the avocado were not available.
My test was not scientific just used my hammered Turkish bowl,an unbranded badger brush, Parker 97r, derby blades and not forgetting my facewhich unfortunately is the only thing I can’t change which as I found out isfitted with sensitive skin. All lathered extremely well and all with theexception of Jermyn Street had the same thick consistency from thepot, Jermyn being wetter and closer in consistency to Palmolive (my current cheaptube), each review is started with an explanation of its formulation scent wisefrom the website.

1, Lemon and lime – citrus with a hint of spice and a woodybase.
Reminded me of Spanish sun tan oil from the 70’s and kitchen cleaning cream,pleasant enough and very subtle, Part way through second pass I started to geta slight tingling/stinging. Post shave fair amount of irritation..

2, St James – fresh masculine, bergamot, fern, mandarin,woody amber.
Nice subtle scent, couldn’t put my finger on it but enjoyed the woodyfragrance, Post shave some irritation.

3, Sandalwood – fern, amber, patchouli, vetivert.
Much stronger scent, if you like your scent to slap you round the face this hasit, reminded me of stores in the UK that sell Joss/incense sticks, loads oflather. Post shave far amount of irritation.

4, Grapefruit – Grapefruit, Orange, Floral, Green.
Great citrus scent and a bigger citrus hit then the lemon and lime, mid shavetingling/stinging set in seems my skin is not as a bigger fan of citrus as mynose is. Post shave lots of irritation.

5, Mr Taylors – Bergamot, cedar, patchouli, lavender
Has a very old soapy smell which whilst not a huge fan of was not in anywayoffensive, lathered exceptionally well. Post shave slight irritation.

6, Cedarwood – cedarwood, patchouli, musk, amber, vetivert
Great scent in same area as sandalwood but more subtle, but lather not as good,post shave very small amount of irritation.

7, Eton College – orange,mandarin, patchouli
Reminded me of my Grans house, Post shave little irritation.

8, Jermyn Street – fern, bergamot, lemon, lime, lavender,geranium, neroli, amber, musk, patchouli, vanilla
very floral not a scent for me which is a shame as its for sensitive skin, gavea good shave but with a little less glide, Post shave no irritation.

9,Shave shop – citrus, lemon, lavender, rosemary, greenfloral, jasmine, cyclamen, spice, moss, amber musk
This cream has been discontinued but gave it a go anyway, again for me it was a little flowery but a preferred it to the scent of Jermyn street, post shave alittle irritation.

Favorite scent – Cedarwood
Least favourite scent – Eton College
Best Lather – Sandlewood
Least amount of irritation – Jermyn St
Which would I buy – Cedarwood
Which would I not use again – Grapefruit, massive shame as I love the smell but the irritation….

In a bid to try find a shave cream that worked for me inlather/quality of shave/irritation and smell, I decided to get some testersfrom shavedash.com. After looking at various threads I plumped for nine 10ml potsof TOBS ranging from 95p to £1.40. I did not select coconut as I’m not a fan ofthe smell, whilst almond and the avocado were not available.
My test was not scientific just used my hammered Turkish bowl,an unbranded badger brush, Parker 97r, derby blades and not forgetting my facewhich unfortunately is the only thing I can’t change which as I found out isfitted with sensitive skin. All lathered extremely well and all with theexception of Jermyn Street had the same thick consistency from thepot, Jermyn being wetter and closer in consistency to Palmolive (my current cheaptube), each review is started with an explanation of its formulation scent wisefrom the website.

1, Lemon and lime – citrus with a hint of spice and a woodybase.
Reminded me of Spanish sun tan oil from the 70’s and kitchen cleaning cream,pleasant enough and very subtle, Part way through second pass I started to geta slight tingling/stinging. Post shave fair amount of irritation..

2, St James – fresh masculine, bergamot, fern, mandarin,woody amber.
Nice subtle scent, couldn’t put my finger on it but enjoyed the woodyfragrance, Post shave some irritation.

3, Sandalwood – fern, amber, patchouli, vetivert.
Much stronger scent, if you like your scent to slap you round the face this hasit, reminded me of stores in the UK that sell Joss/incense sticks, loads oflather. Post shave far amount of irritation.

4, Grapefruit – Grapefruit, Orange, Floral, Green.
Great citrus scent and a bigger citrus hit then the lemon and lime, mid shavetingling/stinging set in seems my skin is not as a bigger fan of citrus as mynose is. Post shave lots of irritation.

5, Mr Taylors – Bergamot, cedar, patchouli, lavender
Has a very old soapy smell which whilst not a huge fan of was not in anywayoffensive, lathered exceptionally well. Post shave slight irritation.

6, Cedarwood – cedarwood, patchouli, musk, amber, vetivert
Great scent in same area as sandalwood but more subtle, but lather not as good,post shave very small amount of irritation.

7, Eton College – orange,mandarin, patchouli
Reminded me of my Grans house, Post shave little irritation.

8, Jermyn Street – fern, bergamot, lemon, lime, lavender,geranium, neroli, amber, musk, patchouli, vanilla
very floral not a scent for me which is a shame as its for sensitive skin, gavea good shave but with a little less glide, Post shave no irritation.

9,Shave shop – citrus, lemon, lavender, rosemary, greenfloral, jasmine, cyclamen, spice, moss, amber musk
This cream has been discontinued but gave it a go anyway, again for me it was a little flowery but a preferred it to the scent of Jermyn street, post shave alittle irritation.

Favorite scent – Cedarwood
Least favourite scent – Eton College
Best Lather – Sandlewood
Least amount of irritation – Jermyn St
Which would I buy – Cedarwood
Which would I not use again – Grapefruit, massive shame as I love the smell but the irritation….

If you really like it, I suggest you try grapefruit again. I have several tobs creams and I have not noticed a big difference in performance from one to the other. It is a great scent. The peppermint is my favorite lately.

Nice reviews.

If you really like it, I suggest you try grapefruit again. I have several tobs creams and I have not noticed a big difference in performance from one to the other. It is a great scent. The peppermint is my favorite lately.

Nice reviews.

performance wise they were all on par, great lather very easy to get whip up and good protection, I don't think anyone could fail in getting these creams to work, just a shame my skin is overly sensitive to some and as I found the citrus based creams really do upset me and I love citrus.

TOBS samplers are wonderful! A great smorgasbord of shaving creams!
Here are my early samples; later added Grapefruit and Cedarwood, which are also great!

Attachments

• $tobs samples dec 4 2013s.jpg
    $tobs samples dec 4 2013s.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 37
Top Bottom