What's new

TOBS Organic Cream, does this look right?

Morning, everyone, hope your day is as sunny as mine here in Ireland 🇮🇪

I have been lurking on the forums looking for advice on returning to wet shaving after a gap of nearly 40 years and recently ordered some goodies based on what I had learned from you guys.

Everything has to come via the post, because of covid 19, and the shaving cream arrived earlier today. I attach some photos and would appreciate confirmation, or otherwise, that the contents of the bowl is what I should normally expect.

Thanks for your help,

Stephen.
1F6FE434-EB51-4342-835C-02FA0AF69039.jpeg
DAB62E08-A14A-4DB5-BAB5-30806CE29F55.jpeg

First, welcome to B&B, Stephen.

Since creams are softer than soap they can easily shift during shipment. The creams look fine to me. Also, creams and soaps are sold by weight - not be the visual amount. I have a tub of GF Trumpers Sandalwood that looked just like the one on the right. In fact, I received two GFT creams in that shipment one looking like the one on the right and one looked like the one on the left.

Hello, ackvil, and thanks for the quick reply. I thought that was probably the case but the bowl came without an outer box or plastic seal and with some cream on the edge of the lid ribbing which, I suppose, may have been forced out by cabin pressure or something.

Just wanted to confirm that, in these lockdown days, it wasn’t a customer return to Amazon which they have now passed on to me. Unlikely, I know, but I am surprised that there isn’t a seal as I’ve read that creams can start to deteriorate once exposed to air.

Still, your reply has given me confidence to start using this particular bowlful (TOBS Organic). I may even put up a review as a thank you...!

Welcome to B&B.
All previous bowls of TfOBS I bought came with an intermediate loose plastic lid to prevent over spill; it seals when the lid is secured. I purchased all my creams from their shop in Jermyn Street and there is no additional packaging to the bowl. I am surprised your bowl does not have that intermediate lid. However, that cream looks normal to me, although it seems to have been buffeted in transit. Let us know how it performs.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. They look okay to me. I have had creams turn up that look like yours as they have moved around a fair bit in transit. They still work fine. I also have a firm belief that some creams can be effected by the pressurised cargo compartments in airplanes. I have bought some creams from International sellers to Australia and when they have turned up they have basically separated in the container. I have to shake them up to get them to combine back together. No scientific knowledge, just a hunch.

It's like those messages they put on some packages:
Container is filled by weight, not volume

Contents may have settled during shipping

You could use the back of a teaspoon to smooth out and reshape the cream in the container. Then, it would resemble the way it came fresh from the factory.

Thanks for your interest, everyone. I won’t worry about it anymore and just get on and use the cream although I may order a tub from another company to see how that arrives. The start of a slippery slope...?!

Thanks for your interest, everyone. I won’t worry about it anymore and just get on and use the cream although I may order a tub from another company to see how that arrives. The start of a slippery slope...?!
A little variety is good. When you are starting out (again), though, it is a good idea to keep the same setup for 30 days or so and just practice your skills. It will also give you an idea of how many shaves to expect from one tub. A rotation of three or four tubs would probably last a year.

You might like to try one of the Cyril R Salter creams. They are well-priced and good quality.

Top Bottom