What's new

Tobacco Sample Trade Program For New Pipe Smokers - Just An Idea!

I RARELY stray from B&B these days but a few months ago I read on another forum about some kind of Tobacco Trade group that sounded interesting. The details are a little fuzzy but if I recall correctly it worked something like this.

Experienced Pipe Smokers "EPS" sign up to a list to help the New Pipe Smokers "NPS".
NPS posts in the forum asking for samples of some aro's and english to get started.
EPS #1 on the list replies with "I'll hook you up with 2oz of sample tobaccos for 1 new tin of Squadron Leader"
NPS orders the new Tin and forwards it to EPS.
Once EPS receives the new tin he send NPS the agreed upon samples.
EPS #1 goes to the bottom of the list and EPS #2 is next in line to help a NPS.

Did that make sense at all? If not, I can try to scour the internets this weekend and find the post on whichever forum it was posted.

I've been thinking about this idea for some time since reading about it and now that the BL forum is growing in popularity I think it might be a great time to get something like this going.

I would absolutely love to be directly involved with this and am more than willing to discuss via PM with mods or stewards and openly here in the forum as well.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Well, I have strayed from B&B because my interest, other than the shave forums, is strickly pipe smoking and B&B's BL deals with so many other tobacco consumption methods. Now that is not a bad thing, but I just don't see enough pipe smoking info for newbies here. I am sure that if I posted a specific issue about pipe smoking, it would be addressed by the fine and knowledgeable people here on B&B. However, sometimes I just want to read about basic info regarding the pipe and types of tobacco.

Specificall addressing your tobacco tradeing, there must be some regulations regarding selling and tradeing that would have to be worked out. All the on-line tobacco sellers have you state that you are at least 18 or of legal age in your state to purchase tobacco products. If all of those issues could be worked out, I would certainly support doing this. An earlier post addressed having a BL B/S/T area.

Well, I have strayed from B&B because my interest, other than the shave forums, is strickly pipe smoking and B&B's BL deals with so many other tobacco consumption methods. Now that is not a bad thing, but I just don't see enough pipe smoking info for newbies here. I am sure that if I posted a specific issue about pipe smoking, it would be addressed by the fine and knowledgeable people here on B&B. However, sometimes I just want to read about basic info regarding the pipe and types of tobacco.

Specificall addressing your tobacco tradeing, there must be some regulations regarding selling and tradeing that would have to be worked out. All the on-line tobacco sellers have you state that you are at least 18 or of legal age in your state to purchase tobacco products. If all of those issues could be worked out, I would certainly support doing this. An earlier post addressed having a BL B/S/T area.

No selling of tobacco would be involved and we already have a tobacco trade thread sticky at the top of the page.

We have a trade thread ongoing. While not as in depth as your discussion, it can be found here.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/260633-Tobacco-Trade-Posts

I have used the trade thread several times but what I had in mind and read about was quite different.

The existing trade thread is just trading tobacco x for tobacco y.

This new idea would involve an experienced pipe smoker trading samples from his extensive tobacco stash to a new pipe smoker in exchange for a specific tin or bulk bag of some tobacco that he wants. The difference being that the new smoker has no idea what to buy so all he needs to buy is 1 specific tin or bag for trade and in exchange he will get a bunch of different blends to try.

For example, if I was first in line to help a new guy I would offer him 15 grams each of FVF, Chocolate Flake, Nightcap and Escudo for 1 brand new 2oz tin of Purple Cow because I love Purple Cow and want to stock up on it. Now when new guy goes to order his pipe online he can throw the Purple Cow on the order, forward it to me and receive 4 different blends in exchange for buying me a tin of what I wanted.

Hmm - maybe I'm not explaining it very well, I'll search around for the link where I first read about this.

Garry,

I understand the trade idea. I think it's a great idea, and I'd love to participate as the first "NPS". It's win win; I get to try some new tobaccos, and hook up a B&B member with a tin of their choosing.

I like the idea, sounds simple enough.

Garry,

I understand the trade idea. I think it's a great idea, and I'd love to participate as the first "NPS". It's win win; I get to try some new tobaccos, and hook up a B&B member with a tin of their choosing.

Glad you guys like the idea!

Connor,

I'll PM you with my mailing address but other than personal details lets play this first trade out in public just to iron out any bugs.

Please send me a 2oz tin of GL Pease Key Largo and I will send you 2oz worth of samples. Let me know what tobacco's you have tried already and if you have any ideas of what you think you might like. I may not have exactly what you are looking for but the point of the trade is to expose you to a wide variety without you having to purchase a bunch of tins yourself.

If you change your mind on this or can't do this right away just let me know.

Garry's Sample Shop strikes again! Different kind of samples though...

I agree this idea is simple enough and quite worth it. Tobacconists don't like giving up a pinch of their stash at a time. I vote yes.

Great!

Here's what I have tried:
MacBaren's Plumcake
Captain Black's White
Stokkebye's Twist Flake
And a couple of my local store's bulk stuff.

I don't have too much in mind for what I'd like to try. Maybe an English blend, and something with a nice flavoring like Chocolate Flake. I'm really not picky and will be happy with whatever you send.

PM sent for mailing address

Ok guys, heres my offerings to be traded in either 7g or 14g quantities totaling to 2 ounces of your choice, in return I am asking for 1 50g tin or 2 ounces bulk of my choice...and I am willing to trade for more than 1 tin, meaning pick out 4 ounces of your choice and send me two 50 gram tins or 4 ounces bulk.

Tobaccos for trade:
Altadis - Strawberry cream (14g available)
Sillem's - Red (28g available)
Dunhill - Early Morning Pipe (42g available)
Peter Stokkebye - Balkan Sasieni (56g available)
Captian Black - White (14g available)
Erinmore - Erinmore Mixture (42g available)
Samuel Gawith - Chocolate Flake (14g available)
Samuel Gawith - Commonwealth Mixture (56g available)
Gawith & Hoggarth - Bob's Chocolate Flake (14g available)
Scotty's - Butternut Burley (56g available)
Mac Baren - Black Ambrosia (84g available)
Cornell & Diehl - Billy Budd (14g available)
Lane - 1Q (14g available)
Middleton's - Carter Hall (35g available)
Middleton's - Prince Albert (42g available)
CAO/Dan's - Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend (112g available)
CAO/Dan's - Sweet Vanilla Honeydew (14g available)
Boswell's - Peaches & Cream (14g available)
Blender's Gold - Rich Vanilla (112g available)
Admiral's Choice - Black & Gold Cavendish (112g available)
Admiral's Choice - Cherry Cavendish (112g available)
Tobacco Galleria - Wild Cherry (28g available)
Just For Him - Church Lady (14g available)
Just For Him - Clove (7g available)
Just for Him - Blueberry Hill (14g available)

50g tins/2oz. bulk that I am interested in for trade:
Dunhill - 965 Mixture
Presbyterian Mixture
G.L. Pease - Maltese Falcon
G.L. Pease - Westminster
McClelland - Blue Mountain
Dan's - Devil's Holiday
Boswell's - Northwoods (2 ounces bulk)
Boswell's - Counrtyside (2 ounces bulk)
Just For Him - Whiskey Biscuit Gravy (2 ounces bulk)
Just For Him - Blue Balls (2 ounces bulk)
Just For Him - Shortcut to Mushrooms (2 ounces bulk)

Last edited:
Ok guys, heres my offerings to be traded in either 7g or 14g quantities totaling to 2 ounces of your choice, in return I am asking for 1 50g tin or 2 ounces bulk of my choice...and I am willing to trade for more than 1 tin, meaning pick out 4 ounces of your choice and send me two 50 gram tins or 4 ounces bulk.

Tobaccos for trade:

Dunhill - 965 Mixture
Presbyterian Mixture
G.L. Pease - Westminster
Dan's - Devil's Holiday
Boswell's - Northwoods (2 ounces bulk)
Boswell's - Counrtyside (2 ounces bulk)
Just For Him - Whiskey Biscuit Gravy (2 ounces bulk)
Just For Him - Blue Balls (2 ounces bulk)
Just For Him - Shortcut to Mushrooms (2 ounces bulk)

Great offerings!

Blade Boy and I have done several trades back and forth and I wouldn't hesitate to deal with him again.

EDIT: I have increased my offer from 2 ounces to 3 ounces of total samples for 1 sealed tin to help compensate for shipping cost of potential traders.

Ok guys, heres my offerings to be traded in either 7g or 14g quantities totaling to 3 ounces of your choice, in return I am asking for 1 sealed 50g tin or 3 ounces bulk of my choice...and I am willing to trade for more than 1 tin, meaning pick out 6 ounces of your choice and send me two sealed 50 gram tins or 6 ounces bulk.

Tobaccos for trade:

Dunhill - 965 Mixture
Presbyterian Mixture
G.L. Pease - Westminster
Dan's - Devil's Holiday
Boswell's - Northwoods (3 ounces bulk)
Boswell's - Counrtyside (3 ounces bulk)
Just For Him - Whiskey Biscuit Gravy (3 ounces bulk)
Just For Him - Blue Balls (3 ounces bulk)
Just For Him - Shortcut to Mushrooms (3 ounces bulk)

Received my samples from gaj90027 today! Thanks for the idea Garry.

I received the tin directly from pipesandcigars as well - thanks for participating with me Connor!

This thread seams to have gone way off track though and wasn't the organized "help a new pipe smoker project" I was hoping for.

If I can ask any experienced pipe smokers to PM me with their interest in helping a new guy as well I will be glad to start a new thread with an actual orderly list.

Also, if I can ask any new pipe smokers to PM me with their interest in being helped out by an experience pipe smoker I will also put them down on the list and get them in contact with the experienced pipe smokers who want to help.

If we can't or don't want to get this project off the ground I understand completely and will not be offended but if we don't want to follow the process I have outlined then all other tobacco trade posts should be posted in the sticky thread at the top of the BL forum.

Top Bottom