What's new

To use or not?

20210927_132212.jpg

I have a variety of DE razors. New and vintage. Probably my favorite is the humble nickel plated brass ball end tech. I have several I bought for $10 to $20. Just great razors. They are all user grade with some brassing and other signs of hard use but of course they shave perfectly.

Last week a supposedly unused ball end tech came up on eBay. Seller said came from an estate sale. Couldn't resist and bid on it. Ended up getting it for my opening bid of about $32 including shipping. It really does look new and unused. Beautiful razor.

Now my dilemma is do I use it or not? I'm not a collector. And it's just a tech not anything rare so I'm inclined to just use and enjoy it?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Nice razor! You could box it up and store it, then in years to come, after you have passed away, and your descendants have donated the razor to a thrift store without a second thought, someone else can buy it, use it, and enjoy it. Or you could use it yourself, that would be my choice 🤣

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Just use it!

I collect guns, but I'm not a "collector" per se. Long story short, I thought I was buying an estate sale "mix-master" of a 1943 M1 Carbine. Turns out it was a factory original, all original parts, hardly fired collectors item.

I shot it.

Guys on the forum were all like ...

proxy.php

I'm like, "Come on guys, it was a MILITARY rifle. Saw very little use! How am I gonna hurt it on a few range outings with my son?"

Everything in my gun safe (well, safes) gets shot. Everything. No exceptions. How are you going to hurt a nickel plated razor by shaving with it? And how many do you rotate through? How often are you going to use it?

OR ... you could put it away for 5 years and sell it for, what? ... $42? :devil:

Just sayin. Live dangerously, brother! USE IT!

I'd give it one good shave then put it away. Its not like its still in the original packaging. Above user grade and you have others so why not save it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Nice razor! You could box it up and store it, then in years to come, after you have passed away, and your descendants have donated the razor to a thrift store without a second thought, someone else can buy it, use it, and enjoy it. Or you could use it yourself, that would be my choice 🤣
👆 THIS!!!! 👆

There's absolutely no reason not to use it.
Storing it away isn't going to allow you to sell it and retire early.
Someone, somewhere is going to shave with it and enjoy it. It might as well be you.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'd give it one good shave then put it away. Its not like its still in the original packaging. Above user grade and you have others so why not save it.
Probably what I would do and have done with other pristine razors. It'll likely shave like your other Techs so keep it for a while and sell it to a serious collector someday.

edit: now I see your second pics. Got a couple scratches ... just use it and congrats.

Last edited:
👆 THIS!!!! 👆

There's absolutely no reason not to use it.
Storing it away isn't going to allow you to sell it and retire early.
Someone, somewhere is going to shave with it and enjoy it. It might as well be you.

I think you are right. It'll go into the rotation soon. Thanks all.

Probably what I would do and have done with other pristine razors. It'll likely shave like your other Techs so keep it for a while and sell it to a serious collector someday.

edit: now I see your second pics. Got a couple scratches ... just use it and congrats.
I think those "scratches " are just the light in the photos. I see none when I'm looking at it in person. But it doesn't matter anyway since I've decided to use it - it'll soon have a few scratches from use.

Top Bottom