What's new

To Tech, Or Not To Tech.....How Do The Best Techs Stack Up?

I have two Tech's:
A post-war Gold ball end and a Silver ball end of the same era. I've shaved with them and put them both away. They are way to mild for my taste and require at least 3 passes to get any efficiency. For Gillette's, the winners for me are the Super Speed's & the adjustables. They do what I need in 2 passes! But I see that many love their Tech's!
I yet to try a pre-war Tech though which I've heard are slightly more aggressive and more efficient. I'm sure at some point I'll get one!

I have two Tech's:
A post-war Gold ball end and a Silver ball end of the same era. I've shaved with them and put them both away. They are way to mild for my taste and require at least 3 passes to get any efficiency. For Gillette's, the winners for me are the Super Speed's & the adjustables. They do what I need in 2 passes! But I see that many love their Tech's!
I yet to try a pre-war Tech though which I've heard are slightly more aggressive and more efficient. I'm sure at some point I'll get one!
Go for an English Flat Bottom. A different animal. Mild but extremely efficient.

Recently got a 1948 example and am totally blown away by it's performance, completely different to other Techs I've tried.

I have heard that Techs were made in .020, .025 and 0.30" blade gaps. Seems to depend on period. The 38-50(?) were 0.30", the 50's models went to .025" and there is complete confusion from then, with individual countries production diverging, the mildest gap seeming to dominate. Interesting info if true.

Fascinating but I will need to read up on this more.

I'm getting some guages from the bay so I can check gaps, and if I get additional examples, measure them.

Last edited:
Go for an English Flat Bottom. A different animal. Mild but extremely efficient.

Recently got a 1948 example and am totally blown away by it's performance, completely different to other Techs I've tried.

I have heard that Techs were made in .020, .025 and 0.30" blade gaps. Seems to depend on period. The 38-50(?) were 0.30", the 50's models went to .025" and there is complete confusion from then, with individual countries production diverging, the mildest gap seeming to dominate. Interesting info if true.

Fascinating but I will need to read up on this more.

I'm getting some guages from the bay so I can check gaps, and if I get additional examples, measure them.
I guess that's another option. I did become interested in the British Flat Bottom when I saw the one that @Phoenixkh bought. Right now though I'm halting purchases. I need to take a break, LOL!!
I've got plenty of stuff to keep me busy for a while.
The last thing I'm spending money on now is the replating of my Hoffritz slant.
As soon as "Future RAD" hits, I'll probably be looking at the Flat Bottom's as well.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I guess that's another option. I did become interested in the British Flat Bottom when I saw the one that @Phoenixkh bought. Right now though I'm halting purchases. I need to take a break, LOL!!
I've got plenty of stuff to keep me busy for a while.
The last thing I'm spending money on now is the replating of my Hoffritz slant.
As soon as "Future RAD" hits, I'll probably be looking at the Flat Bottom's as well.
This is a shop where I got one of my Flat Bottom Techs.... He gets back from vacation tomorrow. I only mention him because it turns out, Chris Spencer @ Back Roads Gold uses him a lot to source razors he buys, replates and sells.

This is a shop where I got one of my Flat Bottom Techs.... He gets back from vacation tomorrow. I only mention him because it turns out, Chris Spencer @ Back Roads Gold uses him a lot to source razors he buys, replates and sells.

Bookmarked for future reference, Lol!!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have two Tech's:
As @Alum Ladd says below, the English Flat Bottom Tech is completely different from all other techs. Get one.

Here is a list of my Tech's with gaps, weights, and what I paid for them.

47 English Flat Bottom Tech
Cap-12.2g Baseplate-13.2g C&P-25.6 Handle-24.9g Total-50.5g
Gap= .028" $ Gift from Cal $

67 English Tech
Cap-10.2g Baseplate-10.2g C&P-20.4 Handle-11.5g Total-32g
Gap= .026" $ PIF from Mawashi $

67 Tech M4 Mar 3, 2019
Cap-10.2g Baseplate-10.4g C&P-20.6 Handle-12.2g Total-33g
Gap= .025" $5.00

PreWar Tech Apr 13, 2019
Cap-14.5g Baseplate-10.0g C&P-24.5 Handle-23g Total-47.5g
Gap= .019" $10.49

53 Tech Y2 Mar 5, 2019
Cap-11.4g Steel Baseplate-8.4g C&P-19.8 Handle-36.3g Total-56.2g
Gap= .021" $19.50

No Date (46-50) Tech
Cap-11.2g Baseplate-10.8g C&P-22.0 Handle-34.6g Total-56.5g
Gap= .024" $ PIF from Mawashi $

English Tech (Early)
Cap-14.5g Baseplate-10.8g C&P-25.3 Handle-37.0g Total-62.3g
Gap= .028" $ PIF from Mawashi $

~doug~

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Why's that?
The older Techs are, to me, smoother and more effective. TheTech/NEW Hybrid, the Pre-War, Flat Bottom, German #34, Post-War and English #24 give me closer, smoother and longer lasting results than the 1960s and newer.

The newer Techs are still fine razors. I have a 1965 and a 1966 that I occasionally use. My 1970s and newer don't seem to get used much.

The older Techs are, to me, smoother and more effective. TheTech/NEW Hybrid, the Pre-War, Flat Bottom, German #34, Post-War and English #24 give me closer, smoother and longer lasting results than the 1960s and newer.

The newer Techs are still fine razors. I have a 1965 and a 1966 that I occasionally use. My 1970s and newer don't seem to get used much.
Interesting. I only have the three I mentioned earlier in the thread. I find the two ball ends, one is from the 40's and the other is a '61 give me much better shaves than my war era Flat Bottom (though it's also a good razor). I don't know (or care much) about blade gaps as my face tells me what I need to know but I think part of why I prefer the ball end is better weight and balance over the flat bottom.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Interesting. I only have the three I mentioned earlier in the thread. I find the two ball ends, one is from the 40's and the other is a '61 give me much better shaves than my war era Flat Bottom (though it's also a good razor). I don't know (or care much) about blade gaps as my face tells me what I need to know but I think part of why I prefer the ball end is better weight and balance over the flat bottom.
Due to the stupidity of my youth (and motorcycles), I don't do as well with handles less than 14mm or so in diameter - have trouble gripping skinnier handles. So, I use my Techs with a variety of GTx hybrid, Titanium and some Aluminum handles that are in the 14mm to 15mm range. I love the balance and the easier grip.

Somewhere on B&B, I believe that I have some pics comparing the baseplates of the older vs newer Techs.

I like the Canadian prewar tech. I would like to try an English Flat bottom tech. The ones I have found on the bay cost too much. In my mind its still a tech and I have three different techs already.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I like the Canadian prewar tech. I would like to try an English Flat bottom tech. The ones I have found on the bay cost too much. In my mind its still a tech and I have three different techs already.
The Canadian Pre-War is one of my favorite Techs. Love the was it feels and love the results! :001_wub:

Which is better, the Indian or Chinese Tech?
I prefer the Chinese Tech, it is pretty close to the latter 60's techs. The Indian version is not as mild and I find light razors that are not mild to be an accident waiting to happen. Inevitably I use too much pressure and get a cut.

Chinese version all the way for me.

For a daily shaver, love my Post War Tech (fat handle, no date, USA) paired with a GSB or Nacet. I have fairly tough whiskers, especially along the chin and neck, and it gives me a comfortable socially acceptable shave. I don't try for BBS. I needed razors with good blade rigidity.

I've come down on a Fat Bottom British Tech as my fav. I guess it's a 1948 Aus Tech, but made in England. The Pre War US Tech is a great mild shaver. And the Canadian (1932 Pat) is a bit more aggressive. The British is somewhere in between I'm guessing.

Top Bottom