What's new

To Tech, Or Not To Tech.....How Do The Best Techs Stack Up?

Today's (brand new to me) "NOS 1945 No 26 Set" SOTD
1945-No26-FBT-SOTD_2022-10-26.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Simpson Wee Scot 13/39
Soap: Phoenix Scentsless
Razor: 1945 Gillette No 26 Set [Flat Bottom Tech]
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Ninja (4)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

A superb shave (barring the stinky handle*). :biggrin:

The No 26, which is a Flat Bottom Tech, is different to all the other FBTs that I've known. That's in a good way (*barring the handle which has a nasty metallic smell when wet). Although the two part handle is skinny (9.4mm diameter at the top, and 11.3mm diameter at the bottom) I like the knurling. It feels good in hand... but I'll be swapping it for (one of) my beloved GT handles next shave (thank you Doug @Rosseforp :001_cool:).

I like the used blade box it comes in, but (being a minimalist at heart) I won't be using it.

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

FOOTNOTE:
Of the several Flat Bottom Techs I've experienced, the No 26 Set is different:

The cap is thicker, and there is a groove between the non-skid tread and the bottom of the guard (normal left, No 26 Set right):
FBT-differences-1_2022-10-26.jpg

FBT-differences-2_2022-10-26.jpg

I am not sure how my Tech stacks up to the best. I only have the one, and I just got it yesterday. For three, yes, $3, dollars. I agree, it looks like crap. But today's shave was very, very nice! I used it as is, no fancy handle or shim. I loved it!

From the looks of it, would this have originally been plated in gold?

Attachments

• 20230329_061115.jpg
    20230329_061115.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230328_142034.jpg
    20230328_142034.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I am not sure how my Tech stacks up to the best. I only have the one, and I just got it yesterday. For three, yes, $3, dollars. I agree, it looks like crap. But today's shave was very, very nice! I used it as is, no fancy handle or shim. I loved it!

Nice find! Give it a good cleaning with Dawn and a toothbrush, the gold wash is very thin and easily removed with harsh cleaners.

~doug~

Turn that baseplate over and let us see the other side. That will tell us more. I want to say it is a 1938-1945 fat handle Tech, but I want to see the other side. Those with more knowledge can chime in to be sure.

That said, it looks to be stripped down to the bare brass. It was likely chrome over nickel plated. You can have it replated for not a lot of money. You can choose gold, platinum, chrome, or whatever it is that you like. I had mine replated in original gold a few years ago for around $18. I don't know what it would cost where you live, but I wouldn't think it would be much. Maybe try Back Roads Gold Products – Back Roads Gold - https://backroadsgold.com/shop/ .

Turn that baseplate over and let us see the other side. That will tell us more. I want to say it is a 1938-1945 fat handle Tech, but I want to see the other side. Those with more knowledge can chime in to be sure.

That said, it looks to be stripped down to the bare brass. It was likely chrome over nickel plated. You can have it replated for not a lot of money. You can choose gold, platinum, chrome, or whatever it is that you like. I had mine replated in original gold a few years ago for around $18. I don't know what it would cost where you live, but I wouldn't think it would be much. Maybe try Back Roads Gold Products – Back Roads Gold - https://backroadsgold.com/shop/ .
It's a nice 'pre-war' with the triangular slots.

I think it's early.
proxy.php

A bargain!

Nice score @J-wall !

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Very nice! Bet it shaves great!

The Pre-War Tech is a particular favorite of mine. :cool:

being a minimalist at heart
Or
being a minimalist only at heart
Not sure which one actually applies :cuppa:

That set by the way is fantastic. You pointed me to one last year, but it was to be had by somebody else alas.

Interesting differences in head design. I recently got a FBT with a lesser known thin handle that had that similar groove on the safety bar. Could it change the shave quality? Or just aesthetics?

Cheers,

Guido

Interesting differences in head design. I recently got a FBT with a lesser known thin handle that had that similar groove on the safety bar. Could it change the shave quality? Or just aesthetics?
It changes the shave quality for me, Guido (but probably not for most people).

The reason it changes the shave quality for me is that I use mostly buffing style strokes, where the guard remains on the skin for the backstroke. The tech with the groove on the safety bar tends to catch my skin, rather than just re-spreading some lather for the following stroke...
When I discovered that, I simply lightened up on my pressure (which I thought was nil :001_rolle) and that fixed it; but I still prefer the smooth (no groove) safety bar.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy

Doesn't look that bad. Soak it in some warm water and Dawn overnight, then when it dries apply a little bit of Flitz metal polish and you'll be amazed at how it will turn out.

It's another early Christmas for me today, yippee! :punk:

I purchased yet another Gillette Flat Bottom Tech and sent it off to Chris at Back Roads Gold for palladium plating, along with an antique Gillette blade bank. I also sent him three NEW/Tech caps for replating. One (also in palladium) for my 1939 RFB (whose original cap aligns blades skew), and two in mirror nickel (one for another FBT and one for my 7 0'clock FBOC).

Chris said palladium was just a tad lighter/brighter than mirror nickel. I thought my eyesight was pretty good... but they look exactly the same to me.

There's no way I can compete with Chris's pics, so here they are:
BRG-1of3_2022-05-25.jpg

BRG-2of3_2022-05-25.jpg

BRG-3of3_2022-05-25.jpg

I can only say that I'm MORE THAN PLEASED. :001_wub:

USPS First Class International normally takes a week (give or take a couple of days) to get from the US to me in the UK. This time it was 14 very long days.

Naturally, I planned to shave with my new palladium plated Fat Handled Flat Bottom Tech on its day of arrival. So, after admiring all of Chris's work and playing around with my new toys... off for a shave!

SOTD
SOTD-BRG-Y_2022-05-25.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 20/46 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Canada
Razor: BRG Gillette Flat Bottom Tech
Blade: King C. Gillette (5)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

A superb shave. :biggrin:
Back Roads Gold magic: :sorcerer: My newly palladium plated Flat Bottom Tech (yes, another FBT) performs even better than all the others.

I'm really loving the Canada soap now (fourth shave on the books) and am down to three seconds loading time. :w00t:

The rest of the team performed admirably too (of course). :001_smile

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:
Palladium is, in my opinion, indistinguishable from Rhodium, both are whiter than nickle plating, in most instances. I do have a supposedly, re-plated nickle Canadian Pre-War that I can't tell the difference compared to Rhodium, in all types of lighting. Maybe it is what is called bright nickle.

I pulled out my Gold 1946-1949 Fat Handle Tech the day before yesterday and have been shaving with it. It was missing me. I have had some really good shaves these past days using a Nacet blade. Today, I made two full passes with some XTG touchups and my face is super smooth. Wonderful razor. Gillette should have left well enough alone and kept making this model just like it was back then.

No buying for me in 2024 and sold off all other razors aside from this travel tech and kept nicest nickel fat handle I had and put it in my safe to give to my son in the future. This little guy and I have no option BUT to bond this year. Just finished another nice shave. Will continue to play around with a couple different handles on this head.

Attachments

• IMG_4574.jpeg
    IMG_4574.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4559.jpeg
    IMG_4559.jpeg
    853.7 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom