What's new

Titan ACRM-2

Just received my Titan ACRM-2 with denim strop, case and some paste. I have not put it on a stone yet, but it will not cut arm hair. The biggest thing is why does it look like the Gold Dollar P-81? Different wood, but looks just like it. Thoughts?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Do you have a photo of your Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60?

Recently (about a year of two ago) Titan change the grind at the heel of their ACRM-2 T.H.60 SRs.

IMG_20230121_170326.jpg

Old

IMG_20230121_170246.jpg

New
Titan are not made in China (PRC). They are made in Yilan, Taiwan. I visited their factory in Taiwan. They use blanks imported from Japan. All manufacturing is done in Taiwan. Their SRs are then transferred to Hong Kong from where they are marketed as the Chinese market is by far their largest. Gold Dollar is made in China (PRC).

Like most mass produced SRs from a factory, they are rarely shave-ready. I have bought 11 Titan ACRO T.H-70 SRs over the years, their top of the line, and only the last one was actually shave-ready as received. (Their honemeister must have had off day 😄.) That SR still had a compound bevel.

The blades of the cheaper Titan SRs are about on par with the cheaper Gold Dollar SRs except I have found the Titan steel to be a little harder and less susceptible to oxidation (some added chromium). The Titan SRs are also manufactured with better quality of finish, although Gold Dollar are improving - slowly.

As for honing and shaving ability, Titan and Gold Dollar are very similar at about the same price point.

Personally I prefer the Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 over the Gold Dollar 208 and below. The Titans have timber scales (my preference) and those scales are not as flimsy as the ABS plastic scales used by Gold Dollar. The Titans are also better balanced at around the pivot pin (like most SRs) whereas the cheaper Gold Dollars are balanced almost at the blade's shoulder.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The denim strop you received is okay but leather is better. What I do is line the seamed side of the demin with kid leather (using spray contact adhesive). You could also use natural chamios. This works very well with edges maintained on diamond pasted balsa. It is also good as a travel strop.

The stropping paste you received is of the rare-earth cerium suspended in a petroleum based wax. I am not a stropping-paste sort of person so cannot say how it performs.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
My guess is that they’re made from the same shape blank from the same supplier.
Definitely not the same blank. Not the same steel. The ACRM-2 is the closest Titan steel used to the GD but definitely still not the same. Probably inspired by the GD P81, though. They just grind off the heel. Can still use a bit of rounding, if you want to avoid ever getting a heel hook there, and if you want to be sure that the razor lies nicely on the stone right away. Spine thickness is similar, too. Both Titan and GD could use a slightly thinner spine. Same with the infamous ZY-430 which seems to have darwin-ed out of existence.

I put the Titan TH-60 through its paces and that particular model I like okay. Honestly their higher priced razors, to me, sucked somewhat, and their cheapest one is the most "normal".

Well today I got around to honing both the P-81 and the Titan ACRM-2. P-81 was easier to get bevel set or that is how it felt. Progression was Suehiro 320, King 1000 /6000, Shapton 12,000, Suehiro 20,000, JNAT, Strop with Thiers Issard Paste, then leather. Shaved right side with Titan and left side with P-81. No real difference. Is it worth the extra money. I do not think so. I like the GD 66, 200, 208, & 300 much better. The 300 blade is not centered, will have to rescale. The GD 100 scales broke on me so I can not say much yet, did not care for the green with flake anyways. But I do not expect anything different from the other GD's. The P-81 & Titan are both bulky, will end up selling them both on the bay.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Jud, I find it is not worth the trouble of trying to sell cheap(er) SRs on eBay. You may be better off just PIFing them on B&B. If they are shave-ready, they make good traditional SRs for beginners.

Top Bottom