What's new

Titan 1918 Straight Razors - A Brief History

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Over the past few days I have been chatting with the marketing manager of Guangzhou Suijia in China. Here is a brief history of the Titan straight razor. I hope it clears up some of the questions others may have about their straight razors.

Titan (know known as Titan 1918) began making straight razors in 1918 in Inchon, Korea. In the late 1920’s Titan started to import straight blade steel blanks from Japan for their straight razors. In the early 1940’s the company moved its operations to Tilan, a city in Taiwan south-east of Taipei and started to also manufacture hair-cutting scissors for the barber trade. In the early 1990’s Titan developed a ceramic package heat treatment method in collaboration with their Japanese partners. This noticeably increased the quality of their products.

Titan has been very successful in their main market of China (PRC), so in 2009 they established there a distribution and marketing company, Guangzhou Suijia Eco-Technologies Co. Ltd. All of their razors are still manufactured in Tilan, Taiwan. As well as serving the Chinese market, Guangzhou Suijia have expanded Titan’s market further into Asia and to a lesser extent Europe and North America.

Titan only manufacture straight razor blades from three types of steel, all sourced from Japan, what they call:
  • ACRM-2, a softer steel (59-61 RHC) that has little corrosion resistance, easiest to sharpen and holds an edge reasonably well. It is used in their budget-range straight razors.
  • VG10HZ, a harder steel (61-63 RHC) that has some corrosion resistance, harder to sharpen and holds an edge well. It is used in their mid-range straight razors.
  • ACRO, their hardest steel (61-64 RHC) that has better corrosion resistance, is their hardest to sharpen and holds an edge very well. It is used in their high-end straight razors.
From these three steel, many types of straight razors are manufactured and sold with different scales and accessories. Some of their blades are also badge engineered and used by other “manufacturers” in Asia, America and Europe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom