What's new

‘Tis the Season for Citrus Drinks!!! :-)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
"The anomaly of wintertime drinks is that we tend to rein in our consumption of cocktails with fruit just when the citrus produce that informs most of them are ripe. Oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits, even tangerines and passionfruit are all in season in the United States, so maybe it's a good time to take a second look at the drinks that they make so delicious". :yesnod:

Daiquiri

The great theorist of libations David Embury—who divided cocktails into two types: aromatic and sour—named the Daiquiri as one of the six basic drinks. And he’s right. It walks a fine balance between the tang of limes and the sweetness of rum. Mix a traditional white rum version (hint: Bacardi is celebrating its 150th anniversary this year) or experiment with the many dark rums that are dazzling the market.

1 1/2 oz. rum
1/2 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice
4 tsp. simple syrup
Twist or slice of lime

Pour all ingredients in a shaker over ice and shake well. Strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with lime.

Whiskey Sour

Whiskey makes a slew of great cocktails, but when it comes to citrus drinks, lemon is the best thing for tarting it up. Be wary, however, this is a strong drink even though they go down easy. And avoid the frozen kind, as the crushed ice melts too quickly and drowns a beautiful thing.

1/2 oz. simple syrup
1 oz. fresh lemon juice
2 oz. bourbon or straight rye whiskey
1 tbsp. egg white (optional)
1 maraschino cherry
1 lemon slice

Combine syrup, lemon juice and whiskey over ice in a shaker. Shake well. (If you add egg white for its froth, shake until your arms tire and then shake some more.) Strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with cherry and lemon slice.

Screwdriver

If this isn’t in your cocktail tool box, you’re missing on a valuable morning (or anytime) quaff. Like just about any drink except the Gimlet, if does better with juice squeezed from fresh, ripe fruit. With the exception of the squeezing, it’s a breeze to make.

1 1/2 oz. vodka
Fresh squeezed orange juice

Pour vodka over ice in a highball glass. Fill with orange juice.

Salty Dog (the Mrs. favorite!!!)

This one is really a Greyhound made with gin and a salt rim. Either version is great for celebrating the ripening of grapefruits. Ride the dog or just get on the bus.

Salt
1 1/2 oz. gin
Fresh squeezed grapefruit juice

Dampen rim of highball glass and dip into a bed of salt. Fill glass with ice and pour in gin. Fill with grapefruit juice.

‘Tis the Season for Citrus Drinks

proxy.php
"[Having a drink]… is a [great], way of ending the day". Ernest Hemingway

The Greyhound is an excellent drink, as is a Grapefruit Margarita. A plain old Vodka Tonic with some lime juice and a slice of lime is also a great simple drink.

Nice job Chris!

I thought I was the only one still drinking 'fruity' drinks @ this time of year. My favorite right now is the Gin & Tonic( 3oz gin, 4oz tonic, 2 oz fresh squeezed lime or lemon).

Glad to see someone else on the train.

marty

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Nice job Chris!

I thought I was the only one still drinking 'fruity' drinks @ this time of year. My favorite right now is the Gin & Tonic( 3oz gin, 4oz tonic, 2 oz fresh squeezed lime or lemon).

Glad to see someone else on the train.

marty
Marty:
Thanx for your 'shout-out', support and for sharing!!!

proxy.php
"[Having a drink]… is a [great], way of ending the day". Ernest Hemingway

A drink I made up a couple of weeks ago:

Gin and Blood Orange Juice

2 oz. Gin (the kind I used was from a local brewery, not heavy on juniper, so maybe a dryer, more herbal gin would be better)
Juice of 2 blood oranges (depending on size). Probably 3 or 4 oz.

That's it, really simple. I made it on the rocks, but I think in the future I'd shake and strain it, serving it in a martini glass with a twist of blood orange peel.

I'm tempted to call it a Bloody Professor, seeing how the gin I used is called Professor's Gin (by McMenamin's Brewery). But I guess you don't often name drinks by the brand you make them with... whatevs. It's almost 2 o'clock, I shouldn't even be thinking right now...

Last edited:
"The anomaly of wintertime drinks is that we tend to rein in our consumption of cocktails with fruit just when the citrus produce that informs most of them are ripe. Oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits, even tangerines and passionfruit are all in season in the United States, so maybe it's a good time to take a second look at the drinks that they make so delicious".

I agree. Grapefruit and oranges in particular have been dirt cheap lately. I've used them by the bagful.

Park Avenue (from the New Amsterdam website)

2 oz New Amsterdam Gin
2 oz ruby grapefruit juice (fresh squeezed preferred)
1 oz Triple Sec liqueur
1/2 lime, squeezed
1 lime wedge
Combine all ingredients into a cocktail shaker. Add ice. Shake vigorously for about six seconds. Serve chilled in a martini glass. Garnish with a wedge of lime.

Top Bottom