What's new

Tips on Maintaining a Dopp Kit

Wow, what an amazing resource! Thanks to the moderators and all the knowledgeable and friendly contributors. After an hour or so lurking on these forums, I got a Merkur Long Classic DE, Vulfix brush and some shaving soap, and not even a week later, am enjoying shaving for the first time (and I'm almost into my 4th decade).

Enjoying the look and feel of my new "old school" shaving tools has me going through my other things- the valet on my dresser, my old manicure tools, etc. When I pulled out my leather Dopp kit (Dopp brand), I noticed that the water resistant lining on the inside is cracked and has begun disintegrating. The kit is about 6 years old, and has been used fewer than 12 times.

I prefer to buy leather goods like this once and keep them forever. Does anyone have any tips on maintaining a leather toiletries bag (Dopp or other brand)? I hate to throw it out...

Thanks!

Well if it's a man made material like plastic it's probably gone. If it's a treated leather and hasn't shredded through you might be able to save with some reconditioning.

Thanks Anthony. The lining is indeed plastic, but I don't know if the leather the bag's made of is treated or not. The bottom of the bag feels like plastic as well. I may try to pull out the plastic and treat the leather. Any recommendations on how to treat it (i.e., what leather conditioner to use)?

Also, what does anyone think about removing your products when not traveling? Is this necessary?

In case I can't rehabilitate/recondition this bag can anyone recommend a high-quality all-leather toiletries bag (Dopp or another brand)?

--Mitch

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Mitch, I'd say take your Dopp to your local leather repair shop and see if they can rework the insides. (I know not the cost of a Dopp bag so cannot say if this is cost-effective.)

Otherwise, I can recommend Mulholland Bros. kit bags. http://shopmulholland.com/product.htm?Product=AL303-LAR They make several different models, in several different leathers, with manmade linings. Look for sales/discounts (Sierra trading post &c)

Top Bottom