What's new

Tips for straight shaving

B

bluefoxicy

I finally got some Feather Pro Lights and wow, very nice. But even more than the blades, I think NOT shaving helped.

... yes, NOT shaving.

You see, when I was shaving every day, I would cut myself, get razor burn, and generally get a bad shave. I'd note the issue, then try to "improve."

By "improve" I mean "forget about it."

So for a while I've shaved once or twice a week now. After a long period of not shaving (several days, not weeks), the razor is something to approach. It's no longer a routine tool; it's something I'm used to, but not so familiar with to oblivion. I'm more careful, more mindful, and more attentive; yet I'm also familiar enough that the first cheek immediately seems much better than last time, and I notice the particular feel of a lighter, more agile touch. I then mimic this for the rest of my shave.

There's a difference between "I do this every day," "I do this a lot," and "I haven't done this in a while." Landing yourself in the second category for a little while helps a lot.

That gives me my first tip: Think about how you play.[/p] Don't rush into every familiar situation because it's familiar; occasionally stop to think, as if approaching a new position.

The rest don't have such lengthy stories; they simply come to mind.

Build a good framework. Take the cheeks first, or the sides of the neck. This will clear lather, giving you a base for finger holds and allowing better stretching to create a good connection. Do not go haphazardly toying with your chin, stache, under the ear, etc; you make the biggest gains in territory early. Do not start on your cheek and work it to perfection before going on, either; the aji will slowly drain out, and your lather will wither and die.

Have good joseki. You can study some of this; but you can figure out some of the more basic stuff on your own. Take the corners. Then come back and work them out. Return to the right cheek, draw up by the sideburns to stretch and edge around. Move back down to the neck, stretch down using the cleared area and build your way up towards the jaw line. Now you can stretch around your jawline or from the cleared area above to work on your cheek and jawline.

Beware of double-atari. Often you will find yourself repeatedly in the same situation in the same position: That one spot on your neck or your jaw that you get cut whether you come from one way or the other. You could ignore it; but you fear losing the position entirely. Stop and look at the position carefully. Often times you can jump in behind and establish territory; then you can build from there, stretching using your new handhold to cut the offending whiskers and clean up.

Resign when you are losing. Don't resign until you're sure you've lost; but there is no reason to continue if winning becomes impossible. Remember, resigning is a double-edged razor: You get an easier shave, but you miss some of the experience and don't learn anything if you resign too early.

And that's all I have for today!

B

bluefoxicy

I have played for several years... but have no proficiency for the game at all. :blushing:

Get on the KGS, and buy some books. Learn to Play Go 1-3, Second Book of Go and Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go, and the Elementary Go Series to start. Read and play.

It's like shaving with a straight razor. You can take your razor right to the hone, but you'll never get a sharp blade. You have to study honing technique, study stroping, study shaving, practice all of these. Optimally have someone teach you. Sometimes you have to experiment.

Top Bottom