What's new

Tips For A Newbie?

Your ATG pass is definitely going to increase the risk of cuts and irritation. It's also not necessary to get a decent shave- if your facial hair is hydrated its going to stretch out some anyways and when your face dries the shave will look closer than when you are actually shaving. The same is true with skin stretching- don't overdo it.

I would avoid hot water and just use lukewarm or even cold water to shave. Hot water definitely increases the irritation of the shave for me, and it doesn't necessarily result in a better shave. Plus, I believe very hot water contributes to wearing of brushes, especially with synthetic brushes.

You might not want to use a DE just yet and instead concentrate on learning to lather and finding the right soap/cream and other products that work for you. A Bic Sensitive or a Gilette Guard might be a better choice . It's almost impossible to cut yourself with a Gilette Guard, and yet it can deliver a decent shave. Even an injector, in my experience is easier than a DE (but some are extremely aggressive, it varies, and of course they are not in widespread current production).

I'd work on that WTG pass first. That is the basis for your shave.

With a good razor / blade combo. and a solid technique, I feel that the first WTG pass should already result in an acceptable shave, and not in "a significant amount of stubble" being left. That may be an angle problem, but that's hard to judge from afar.

A few idea I have learned recently
- make sure the handle is screwed on all the way. Learned that lesson the hard way
- pressure. I have found that if I start getting some irritation, my first step is to go back to basic and lighten up on the pressure. It is facinated that after a few weeks I become complacent on my pressure. Each blade is different and will let you "get away" with pressure
- witch hazel is a cheep way to help the cause

Good luck.

I think your angle must be off or else your prep needs improvement. Even with 3 to 4 days growth, the first pass removes about 95% of my stubble.

Stretching. I always say I'm gonna try harder, do it better... forget it. Stretching is bad. Keeping the skin taut, by holding the skin BEHIND the stroke, is not the same thing. You're still controlling that tension with the top cap, not your fingers. I think that's what makes it confusing. The curvature of the top cap does the same thing.

But the so-called "safety bar" pries skin down ahead of the blade. It's a serious design flaw. At the smallest scale, at the tip of the edge of the blade, what's separating the material into two parts? Stretching. You don't want to cut the skin, so... don't stretch it.

Last edited:
Hi there,

My beard is fairly coarse, patchy on the cheeks but consistent on the neck. During my pass with the grain, I tilt the razor at the maximum angle, and apply no pressure; I just let the blade sit and fall.

I think your angle must be off or else your prep needs improvement. Even with 3 to 4 days growth, the first pass removes about 95% of my stubble.

Yes. That is why I'd work on the WTG pass first before working on all kinds of "advanced" techniques.

Not sure if it will be 95% for most (sounds high to me), but if your first pass leaves "a considerable amount of stubble", you need to work on that first pass.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Hi there,

My beard is fairly coarse, patchy on the cheeks but consistent on the neck. During my pass with the grain, I tilt the razor at the maximum angle, and apply no pressure; I just let the blade sit and fall.
Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing when discussing angle; RE: "Double Edge Razors", Sticky by Edgar (Nuclearblast) titled; "So, What's The Steep Angle?"
What you want to try is a shallow angle (blade to face) as shown in the Sticky.

Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing when discussing angle; RE: "Double Edge Razors", Sticky by Edgar (Nuclearblast) titled; "So, What's The Steep Angle?"
What you want to try is a shallow angle (blade to face) as shown in the Sticky.
Very good suggestion mike.

Top Bottom