What's new

TimS' shave journal

It was a pleasant evening, indeed. And the shave test did prove that out; Viking shaved very nicely. The other two razors get tested next two shaves.

Shave tests of the Edson and the Little Rhodey didn't go as well; got BBS from both, but not 'smooth' enough. 8 on a scale of 1-10. Took the Little Rhodey to my Asagi with DMT slurry last night, and got to 9/10. Will do the same to the Edson and see what happens. And then back to the Kiita to see if I can eek out smoother edges from it.

If only I could find someone locally who could teach me to max out my Jnats...

I'd start asking local barbers if they know anyone who hones? I just found your journal and have been catching up. Very interesting and informative posts, thank you for them. As far as your collection goes, I'm not going to throw stones, though I am jealous of several you own; it is very nice and growing collection. The fun thing about shell scales is how they clean up and become translucent, that's what I find beautiful and alluring with them. :thumbup:

Dan, thanks for the pointer about asking a local barber, but I was being a bit facetious; I live less than 20 miles from arguably one of the best at honing on this forum (Alfredo aka Doc226), yet we've never met in person. Someday I'd like to spend some one-on-one time to get some pointers from a master.

I agree that shell scales are beautiful and alluring; I can't seem to stop looking for them.

Shell......shell....shell...

proxy.php

I hate my USPS service--always in receipt of mail from two streets over, and routinely missing mail.

eBay says I received a package today. I did not.

Local postmaster used to live next door. Those were the days--no missing mail. Now I have to hope a neighbor is kind enough to deliver a big Sheffield blade I got for a steal. We'll see.

I hate my USPS service--always in receipt of mail from two streets over, and routinely missing mail.

eBay says I received a package today. I did not.

Local postmaster used to live next door. Those were the days--no missing mail. Now I have to hope a neighbor is kind enough to deliver a big Sheffield blade I got for a steal. We'll see.

Sorry your new Tortoise didn't arrive....
$giphy (32).gif

Actually sorry, I hope it shows up.

Not tortoise in this case. Just an inch in width of Sheffield goodness.

I do, however, have my eye on those 4 turtles on the Bay right now :)

Turns out the razor was delivered to a neighbor with the same house number, so that issue is solved.

John, check your mail on Monday :001_smile

Wow, almost a month without updating this journal. No excuse really, other than some travel for work and fun.

My latest project is trying to learn my hones a bit better, and to try to regularly achieve those sublime edges off my Jnats that I only get occasionally. I'm one of those guys who went against all rational advice and accumulated several finishers that I've used, but haven't always had the best success with. Chasing edges, I guess.

Last night I honed two razors on one of my Jnats using DN slurry. Shave-tested both, and both had 'pretty good' edges, but could be better. Using them as my baseline, I'm going to try a couple of tomos on the same Jnat on these razors, and see if I can find that tomo that elevates my edge. Not saying a tomo will; I believe Alfredo uses primarily DN slurry, and we know how his edges are. But, I want to see what happens to my edges with different slurries on the same Jnat.

All other other finishers are going to stay put away while I learn this stone.

Sounds like a good plan. I prefer the hit or miss/patchwork quilt of scratch patterns on my razors (jnat, 8k, 12k, etc.). Variety is the spice of life, you know.

Don't like how it feels on the toe? Try the heel. lol

A couple of repeat issues going on for me right now:
-another razor that tracking says was delivered, but apparently not to my house. It would really suck if the MK32 in ivory disappears. Keeping my fingers crossed that a good neighbor gets it to me.
-as mentioned in another thread, I'm doing some honing for my nephew. One razor honed up nicely on the Jnat/tomo combo I'm currently working with, but the Packwood that I've mentioned several times in this journal has returned to kick my butt some more. It came to me with a sink ding, so back to bevel-set and 4/8K progression before finishing. First shave test was OK. Tried again on the finisher with a couple of slurries this morning, no improvement. I'm currently at the in laws with only my finisher and tomo, so I may not get it 'there' while here. I'll try some more slurries later.

I hope anyone reading this has a great New Year.

Top Bottom