What's new

Timeless TI Slim or Carbon CX-316L

Looking at getting a new razor some of the ones i use alot are Karve Overlander, Gilette super speed, and a Leaf Thorn. Been looking heavily at a carbon in either mild or original plate or the timeless ti slim.

Wondering people thoughts who have used both what they recommend?

Also is timeless slim as aggressive as they describe on site?

I shave every other day so would like something mild yet efficient. Also open to suggestions.

Thanks

Never tried a Carbon razor but they get good reviews from folks here. I have had a Ti Slim and wasn’t impressed. It’s not aggressive…actually shaves really smooth, it just didn’t have the efficiency I get from my other razors. Out of the Carbon or Timeless I would look at Carbon.

For great options on the milder side yet efficient take a look at the Yates 921-M, Lamda Athena or Ares. Great shaving razors and very gentle on the skin.

For a bit more blade feel I can recommend the Blackbird or Yates 921-H…. Both are perfection for me. I am a daily shaver and have no issues using these.

I haven't tried the Timeless Slim but I have used every titanium variant in their original line. Based on my experience I'd recommend going with either the .68 oc or .95 oc. Both are incredibly smooth and shave very well even with little growth.

The .68 oc can be used almost mindlessly but still provides a close shave. The .95 oc will get you to bbs land but you have to concentrate or you'll end up with irritation or nicks. Also, go with the scalloped top cap.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Looking at getting a new razor some of the ones i use alot are Karve Overlander, Gilette super speed, and a Leaf Thorn. Been looking heavily at a carbon in either mild or original plate or the timeless ti slim.
The Timeless Slim is very likely to be too much for your liking. The Timeless .95 OC would be a way safer bet for you.
Can't talk about Carbon Shaving, when I started getting interesting to them their prices went through the roof and they seem to focus on even more expensive materials lately.

I have a lot of confidence in your opinions, @Iridian, and I would like to understand why the slim is so "aggressive". Looking at the numbers, 0.5 gap / 0.05 exposure, it's about the same characteristics as the blackbird lite which is super mild (YMMV). The 95 has the same exposure with a higher gap, it's not supposed to be milder.

Any clue?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have a lot of confidence in your opinions, @Iridian, and I would like to understand why the slim is so "aggressive". Looking at the numbers, 0.5 gap / 0.05 exposure, it's about the same characteristics as the blackbird lite which is super mild (YMMV). The 95 has the same exposure with a higher gap, it's not supposed to be milder.

Any clue?
The .5 has a different, aggressive geometry and Timeless themselves state that it is their most aggressive design. It is not likely to cause injury, but it can be very harsh.

To put it bluntly, if you think it's 0.5, 0.68 and .95, you are wrong.
The .68 and .95 are same design and geometry with different gap, the .5 Slim is a very different breed.

This unfortunately seems to happen to a lot of Timeless customers.

"This AGRESSIVE 0.5mm blade gap makes for a quick smooth shave. Just don't press. This is an aggressive razor but with the right touch it provides a smooth efficient shave." sic, one small typo courtesy of Timeless.

It is not mentioned in the uppermost lines of the text on the Timeless homepage, so... many people probably never read it.

Timeless Slim .5 is more comfortable but has (some kind of) lack of feel.
It is like you are driving a luxury Mercedes and don't have too much road feedback

Carbon CX 1.08 (++) plate and Carbon CX .68 Standart plate are very close. I mean +++ plate which is the most aggressive is not scary at all and face feel wise it's very close to the standart plate.
In general Carbon is acting like a sport car with plenty of feedback.

My subjective preference is Blackbird. And my second favorite is Carbon. Timeless can get only third spot on my top five list.

YMMV of course.

@Iridian thank you for your feedback, I had read that part of their website and was puzzled given the very modest exposure. 30 days trial don't apply to my location otherwise I would have tried it!

I think the head of Carbon CX has a sleek low profile, while Timeless heads I have used
can only be described as chunky.

The .5 has a different, aggressive geometry and Timeless themselves state that it is their most aggressive design. It is not likely to cause injury, but it can be very harsh.

To put it bluntly, if you think it's 0.5, 0.68 and .95, you are wrong.
The .68 and .95 are same design and geometry with different gap, the .5 Slim is a very different breed.

This unfortunately seems to happen to a lot of Timeless customers.

"This AGRESSIVE 0.5mm blade gap makes for a quick smooth shave. Just don't press. This is an aggressive razor but with the right touch it provides a smooth efficient shave." sic, one small typo courtesy of Timeless.

It is not mentioned in the uppermost lines of the text on the Timeless homepage, so... many people probably never read it.

This. Trust what Timeless themselves say. I haven't tried the slim specifically because they say it's more aggressive than the .95 and the .95 is already at the upper end of what my face will tolerate.

Razor aggressiveness is more complicated than just blade gap. Trust what Timeless say in regards to their razors.

I haven't tried the Timeless Slim but I have used every titanium variant in their original line. Based on my experience I'd recommend going with either the .68 oc or .95 oc. Both are incredibly smooth and shave very well even with little growth.

The .68 oc can be used almost mindlessly but still provides a close shave. The .95 oc will get you to bbs land but you have to concentrate or you'll end up with irritation or nicks. Also, go with the scalloped top cap.
Couldn't agree more about the Timeless 0.68 oc and 0.95 oc. I can speed through a shave with the 0.68 without much thought and get a great shave. More care with the 0.95, the shave is great, and it lasts longer (longer for stubble to come around). The oc and scalloped head are a must. I also have the Carbon ++. For me, it is slightly more aggressive than the 0.95 oc. More care needed to avoid nicks and irritation, but the result can be excellent. I use it when I feel like taking my time to get a long lasting, great shave. The web designed plate for the Carbon Razor is an attractive innovation. It seems to move the lather around better than other SB razors I have tried.

Top Bottom