What's new

Timeless Scratch & Dent Aluminum (pics)

I also recently purchased an aluminum razor from the dent and scratch section. Before I placed the order, I read the reviews on the site and most os the reviews mentioned that it was kind of hard to find the blemishes. At that point, to me, it was a no brainer that the discounted one was the better option. Well, I felt the same as @NicksDad. I was disappointed too. I was expecting fewer blemishes. This one on the attached picture is just one of them. It has more on the sides. You don't only see them, you can feel them. I didn't mind some decoloration on the handle and on the stand. I can leave with that, but these deep scratches or 'cuts' is probably a better word, was little too much for me to ignore.

The razor is beautiful and shaves great. Now I am thinking about getting a bronze one including the stand. I don't think I want to pay the full price, but I am afraid to make the same mistake. I could save $40, but I'd like to hear more people's experiences when getting the bronze from the dent and scratch section. Your comments will be really helpful when making my decision.
I have purchased two razors in Scratch & Dent/Returns and they have been flawless. It is the luck of the draw as their site mentions there could be flaws. I purchased the .38SB Bronze and the .68SB Ti, both with stands. Couldn't find a flaw on either one. You might try contacting them and just see what they say, although if the blemish doesn't effect the shave there might be little to nothing they can do.

I bought a Standard alunimium razor when they were selling off seconds and it was near perfect, just one tiny scratch (and it was about a third of the price of their ’perfect’ razors). The OP’s razor looks pretty shoddy to me - you could consider it in the same way as a vintage razor but if someone tried to sell that as a second-hand razor in the BST section for $20 under retail price, I doubt they’d get many takers.

I don’t want to minimize that $40.00 is not lot of money and is nothing to worry about but keep things in prospective. If you are bothered by a less than perfect appearance of your razor, you may want to consider the following: If you spend the extra $40 and use this razor for 5 – 10 years, you are looking at about 4 - $8 a year. That figures out to less than a few cents per day. You just have to decide if it is worth it. On the other hand, if you decide you do not like the razor or use it less than a few years, you could sell it and get at least some of your money back.

Last edited:
for aluminium Timeless, you will have to get the 95 gap if you want any kind of middle ground efficiency, due to weight. 68 will be super mild, as you could observe.

Thanks so much for your replies. Based on what I am hearing here and what I found by doing some research. It looks like the aluminum one is more likely to have visible blemishes. No one can deny that aluminum is very, very fragile. The thing is, I don't really need the stand, in fact, I don't need the razor haha! Since I have other razors. Does this sound familiar? Anyway, I do want the razor because it is supposed to be a good shaver, and I also want it because it looks gorgeous, especially with the stand. I want to give it a little more thought, but I might go with the dent and scratch with the stand. I don't mind a little blemish here and there if it is not too obvious.

To me is the hardest part is not being able to see any pictures. I have quite a few vintage razors from eBay, but that's a different story, you can see pictures from different angles, you can ask questions, etc.

With the timeless, as you guys have mentioned, it's a gamble. And as the website states, not with this words obviously, but pretty much "It is what it is, you can't see how it is, you can't ask how it is, it is a blind purchase, but it is what it is"

Decisions, decisions!

Last edited:
Basically, at $130, I could get the bronze razor brand new with no stand or with the same $130 the razor with the stand from the dent and scratch section.

I'd like to hear your experience :)

I got the Bronze brand new with the stand on their eBay store for the same price a while back. I actually got 2 for my sons that way on different dates with eBay discount days. If you wait, the discount days come up every once in a while.

I bought a Standard alunimium razor when they were selling off seconds and it was near perfect, just one tiny scratch (and it was about a third of the price of their ’perfect’ razors). The OP’s razor looks pretty shoddy to me - you could consider it in the same way as a vintage razor but if someone tried to sell that as a second-hand razor in the BST section for $20 under retail price, I doubt they’d get many takers.

Second that, I bought 4 razors for $25 a pop, 1 for myself, 2 for my sons and 1 for my wife and they were perfect. I wonder if Standard Razors was just trying to move Version 1 at the time. It was the best deal I ever gotten on any razor(s) minus a misidentified Double Ring I got once.

I got the Bronze brand new with the stand on their eBay store for the same price a while back. I actually got 2 for my sons that way on different dates with eBay discount days. If you wait, the discount days come up every once in a while.
Really? that I didn't know. Thanks so much for the tip. I am glad you told me this. I'll keep an eye on their eBay store.

Really? that I didn't know. Thanks so much for the tip. I am glad you told me this. I'll keep an eye on their eBay store.

eBay basically limits their cut of the sale periodically to bring people in, mostly 15% off more frequently but once or twice a year, it can be as much as 20% off. I’d have to look it up but I think those razors were less than $130 each with the discount days. Brand new and no blemishes.

Thanks everyone for your help. I finally made a decision and ordered the bronze 0.38 with the stand from the Timeless dent and scratch section. Fingers crossed. The discount for a brand new one from the eBay store sounds awesome, but for someone as impatient as me ... I don't think I can wait indefinitely for that to happen. But thanks so much for the info.

The reason for my decision for getting this one over the one on eBay is that this is my own birthday present, which is next week.

I already placed the order, now let's just wait for the best.

Last edited:
Second that, I bought 4 razors for $25 a pop, 1 for myself, 2 for my sons and 1 for my wife and they were perfect. I wonder if Standard Razors was just trying to move Version 1 at the time. It was the best deal I ever gotten on any razor(s) minus a misidentified Double Ring I got once.
I reckon they probably were just clearing out version 1. The scratch on mine may have come from the fact they threw all the parts loose in a bag when it was shipped. It's not something I'd have worried about even if they weren't being sold as seconds.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Bummer but i look at stuff like that and tell myself that i would have dropped it or caused some damage to it myself anyway at some point so now the damage is done and out of its system

@Earl_Grey, I don’t disagree. I admit I was hoping for some of the same luck others had enjoyed when ordering from S&D, but I admit I have zero room to complain. I mainly created the post so others could see what to expect. More info is better than less.

As others have said, the aluminum model probably mars more easily, and there’s no way to argue with $55 for a working Timeless in any condition.
$55 is a steal for such a quality razor even if it’s not showroom status.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have bought several Timeless stainless parts and handles on scratch and dent in the past, and they have been quite perfect. However I recently bought a polished stainless smooth top cap on scratch and dent, and this one has a very noticeable discoloration right on the shaving surface of the cap. It covers about 20% of the top cap surface. Fortunately you can’t feel any discrepancies in the surface, it’s just aesthetic. But it’s there for sure. It doesn’t bother me, as that is the way of the scratch and dent. It’s a calculated gamble. And sometimes I’m willing to take that risk, sometimes not. In this case, I had an extra handle and 68 baseplate that I loved, and got tired of taking the scallop top cap from my 95 to shave with it. Buying the smooth cap allowed me to assemble another whole Timeless with a different cap and gap. So it works for me... warts and all. I have four Timeless now, and love them all.

Since aluminum is very soft, I was able to sand the scratches out. I did it very, very gently being careful not to change the geometry of the razor. I am very happy with the result. I know some people don't mind the little blemishes, I wish I didn't. To me they were eye magnets and I could ignore them.

This razor is a fenomenal shaver. It feels very strange because I am used to heavier razors, so the first reaction is to apply pressure, but you just need to apply the same principle very little to no pressure against the skin.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Now, about the bronze version I ordered a few days ago. First of all I want to mention how fast they processed the order. The very next day the razor was shipped.

I was extremely anxious about the condition of the bronze one, since the aluminum wasn't in the best condition. But again, I didn't pay full price, so let's see how this gamble went.

When I started opening the box, my heart was pounding so hard, I was really nervous, honestly. Remember if something goes wrong, you can't return a razor from the scratch and dent section.

One word to describe this razor or to describe what I felt when I saw it, "WOW"
I know there are better words to describe it, but WOW is what came to my mind at that moment.

This think is a piece of art. I don't know if I should keep it in the bathroom or in my leaving room. This is one of the most beautiful safety razors I've seen ever. I knew it was going to be this gorgeous, that is one of the reasons I had for purchasing it, but it looks so much better in person.

It looked like new, I didn't see any bremishes. Only a few tiny scratches under the stand base, that's all.

I haven't shaved yet, I am going for sure today.

As many have mentioned, purchasing from the scratch and dent section is a gamble, but based on this experience, the risk is higher on the aluminum version for the metal being more fragile. Well, I'll take that back. There are more chances to get some bremishes on the aluminum one, but it is much cheaper than the other alternatives, so I guess the risk is equal.

This became too long, my apologies. I am very happy with these 2 purchases, specially with the bronze one. I took some pictures with my phone of this beautiful razor. I can't wait to give it a try.

I hope this helps, if someone is thinking about placing an order from the scratch and dent section.

I am pretty sure that if they is going to be any compromise, it will be in terms of
aesthetics, but not the quality of the shave.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congrats on your new bronze razor! I hope it brings you many great shaves and that over time you will come to enjoy the aluminum razor too.

It sometimes helps to put away gear for a little while and then come back to it later. Who knows, you may come to see the blemishes on the aluminum razor as part of your shaving journey and actually take pride in the $20* that you saved.

*i read the post quickly and had a little trouble following the money :).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom