What's new

Timeless Scratch & Dent Aluminum (pics)

Congrats on your new bronze razor! I hope it brings you many great shaves and that over time you will come to enjoy the aluminum razor too.

It sometimes helps to put away gear for a little while and then come back to it later. Who knows, you may come to see the blemishes on the aluminum razor as part of your shaving journey and actually take pride in the $20* that you saved.

*i read the post quickly and had a little trouble following the money :).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am actually enjoying the aluminum very much. It is among my favorite and I have a few razors to compare it with, and sand paper took care of this scratches. I've been shaving with it this whole week since I got it delivered.

proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ah, that is why the Timeless Aluminum gets so much love, it looks like the identical head of that of the Bronze SB. Is the gap .38 also? The Bronze SB is the only razor I have ever purchased that can almost give me BBS on one pass with just a little cleanup, extremely efficient razor.

Ah, that is why the Timeless Aluminum gets so much love, it looks like the identical head of that of the Bronze SB. Is the gap .38 also? The Bronze SB is the only razor I have ever purchased that can almost give me BBS on one pass with just a little cleanup, extremely efficient razor.
The head looks almost identical just the color difference. The gap is 0.45 vs 0.38. It is supposed to be a little more efficient than the bronze one. I assume it is to compensate the lack of weight. If this makes any sense.

Now, about the bronze version I ordered a few days ago. First of all I want to mention how fast they processed the order. The very next day the razor was shipped.

I was extremely anxious about the condition of the bronze one, since the aluminum wasn't in the best condition. But again, I didn't pay full price, so let's see how this gamble went.

When I started opening the box, my heart was pounding so hard, I was really nervous, honestly. Remember if something goes wrong, you can't return a razor from the scratch and dent section.

One word to describe this razor or to describe what I felt when I saw it, "WOW"
I know there are better words to describe it, but WOW is what came to my mind at that moment.

This think is a piece of art. I don't know if I should keep it in the bathroom or in my leaving room. This is one of the most beautiful safety razors I've seen ever. I knew it was going to be this gorgeous, that is one of the reasons I had for purchasing it, but it looks so much better in person.

It looked like new, I didn't see any bremishes. Only a few tiny scratches under the stand base, that's all.

I haven't shaved yet, I am going for sure today.

As many have mentioned, purchasing from the scratch and dent section is a gamble, but based on this experience, the risk is higher on the aluminum version for the metal being more fragile. Well, I'll take that back. There are more chances to get some bremishes on the aluminum one, but it is much cheaper than the other alternatives, so I guess the risk is equal.

This became too long, my apologies. I am very happy with these 2 purchases, specially with the bronze one. I took some pictures with my phone of this beautiful razor. I can't wait to give it a try.

I hope this helps, if someone is thinking about placing an order from the scratch and dent section.

I am pretty sure that if they is going to be any compromise, it will be in terms of
aesthetics, but not the quality of the shave.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

They are absolutely beautiful. I’d love to read your comparisons of the two for smoothness and efficiency.

I am actually enjoying the aluminum very much. It is among my favorite and I have a few razors to compare it with, and sand paper took care of this scratches. I've been shaving with it this whole week since I got it delivered.

proxy.php

Nice den!

Since aluminum is very soft, I was able to sand the scratches out. I did it very, very gently being careful not to change the geometry of the razor. I am very happy with the result. I know some people don't mind the little blemishes, I wish I didn't. To me they were eye magnets and I could ignore them.

This razor is a fenomenal shaver. It feels very strange because I am used to heavier razors, so the first reaction is to apply pressure, but you just need to apply the same principle very little to no pressure against the skin.
proxy.php

Good job, hopefully now you forget about the ding and continue to love it.

The head looks almost identical just the color difference. The gap is 0.45 vs 0.38. It is supposed to be a little more efficient than the bronze one. I assume it is to compensate the lack of weight. If this makes any sense.

Actually that does make sense if that is the reason. My Standard Razor looks a lot like an aluminum version of the R89, but it is much more aggressive, but light as a feather at the same time. I guess it is possible they (Standard Razor) thought the weight might be an issue during testing and it would need to have more of a gap.

Having used the Bronze SB just to try as I bought them for my boys, I remember being surprised at how highly efficient it was with a smaller gap and learned a lesson in gaps and blade exposure. Later got schooled again using the Old Type. You could be right though, maybe weight had something to do with it. I guess we’d have to check with Timeless to know.

Last edited:
They are absolutely beautiful. I’d love to read your comparisons of the two for smoothness and efficiency.
I finally had a chance to shave with my bronze timeless razor. I was expecting it to be great and it is. But I was afraid it was going to be too mild for my liking. Well, despite the 0.38 gap, this razor has a great balance between efficiency and smoothness. It feels so good. It would like it to be more or less aggressive, it is at the right point for me. For reference, it is more efficient than the Edwin Jagger DE89 or the Merkur34.

This is only my first shave, but I couldn't find much of a difference in terms of efficiency vs the aluminum with its 0.45 gap. They feel very similar in that respect. I might find more differences in the future, after I get a few more shaves. The weight is what set them apart. If I remember well, I think is 128 g vs only 45 g. I preferred the heavier bronze razor, but that could just be because I am more used to heavier razors. If I had only one of them, I would be extremely happy with either one.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I find the bronze smoother than the Aluminum. Other than the obvious handling differences due to the weight, I think they are quite comparable. Love them both. I just love the bronze more. :)

Seconds can be great I had an ikon x3 with bulldog handle in ss and allmost impossible to find the flaws.
OTOH I have an Alluminium bronze Phoenix eclectic slant which looks Very sharp and is all sharp nasty feeling shaving wise even without a blade... so it could be the finish on allu

Now, about the bronze version I ordered a few days ago. First of all I want to mention how fast they processed the order. The very next day the razor was shipped.

I was extremely anxious about the condition of the bronze one, since the aluminum wasn't in the best condition. But again, I didn't pay full price, so let's see how this gamble went.

When I started opening the box, my heart was pounding so hard, I was really nervous, honestly. Remember if something goes wrong, you can't return a razor from the scratch and dent section.

One word to describe this razor or to describe what I felt when I saw it, "WOW"
I know there are better words to describe it, but WOW is what came to my mind at that moment.

This think is a piece of art. I don't know if I should keep it in the bathroom or in my leaving room. This is one of the most beautiful safety razors I've seen ever. I knew it was going to be this gorgeous, that is one of the reasons I had for purchasing it, but it looks so much better in person.

It looked like new, I didn't see any bremishes. Only a few tiny scratches under the stand base, that's all.

I haven't shaved yet, I am going for sure today.

As many have mentioned, purchasing from the scratch and dent section is a gamble, but based on this experience, the risk is higher on the aluminum version for the metal being more fragile. Well, I'll take that back. There are more chances to get some bremishes on the aluminum one, but it is much cheaper than the other alternatives, so I guess the risk is equal.

This became too long, my apologies. I am very happy with these 2 purchases, specially with the bronze one. I took some pictures with my phone of this beautiful razor. I can't wait to give it a try.

I hope this helps, if someone is thinking about placing an order from the scratch and dent section.

I am pretty sure that if they is going to be any compromise, it will be in terms of
aesthetics, but not the quality of the shave.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Nice score! I just placed my order. Fingers crossed mine is as nice as yours. :)

My .38 Bronze "scratch & dent" showed up yesterday. The only thing I can find is a small discoloration spot on the side of the head. So I'm guessing thats the problem?? Bronze will change color and get a cool patina over time so who cares. I love it!

Attachments

• 111.jpeg
    111.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 26
  • 222.jpeg
    222.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 27
My .38 Bronze "scratch & dent" showed up yesterday. The only thing I can find is a small discoloration spot on the side of the head. So I'm guessing thats the problem?? Bronze will change color and get a cool patina over time so who cares. I love it!

i used the Timeless Bronze in a pass around last year. Beautiful razor. Enjoy!

Just an update on the .38 Bronze. I used the razor for the first time today. I had such high expectations, however, due to my sensitive skin this one is not going to work for me. I require a pretty mild razor and this one does have a little bit too much bite for me. Don't let my experience discourage anyone from getting one. I will say it is superior in quality, fit and finish. It's a very solid, well made razor and built to last a lifetime. I will be putting this one up on the block when I purge the den. Oh, well...

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Just an update on the .38 Bronze. I used the razor for the first time today. I had such high expectations, however, due to my sensitive skin this one is not going to work for me. I require a pretty mild razor and this one does have a little bit too much bite for me. Don't let my experience discourage anyone from getting one. I will say it is superior in quality, fit and finish. It's a very solid, well made razor and built to last a lifetime. I will be putting this one up on the block when I purge the den. Oh, well...
I started out with the oc and that was way too much for me. I returned it for the solid bar. And I’ll say it’s a learning curve. Maybe give it another few tries experimenting with the angle. You might get it to work.

Just a thought...but how's your soap?
I ask because a few years ago I bought a stainless Timeless .95 OC. Plus I also bought the .68 OC baseplate.
After a few shaves to trial both plates I (foolishly) sold the .95 OC plate. It had too much bite, too much 'face feel' for me.
Yet, I've been shaving for 55+ years.
Well, my soaps were crap. I just bought the cheapest junk I could find, and the cheapest blades (Derby and Bolzano...and I will never again let a Bolzano near my lovely face).
A soap is a soap, and a blade is a blade I figured.
All my razors were mild (Techs mainly, a Muhle R89, and a Mamba 52).
Only when I joined a few forums and read guys saying about their lovely soaps, great shaves with x blade...but not with y blade, etc did I realise what I had been missing.
Upped my game...bought better blades, bought better soaps (lots of lovely soap!).
Now using Stirling (Black Cherry at the moment 'cos I like the scent).
Suddenly the mild razors were pussies.
Bought a new WR2 1.15 DC (SB/OC) and sold it as too mild for me now.
Bought a new Timeless .95 OC plate again...love it. Smooth and close shaves.
Bought a new stainless Karve with SB plates #C to #G. Now my usual plate is the #F, with the #G for 'special occasions'.
Getting a Blackbird OC (arriving soon).
So, maybe...just maybe it's not a razor or blade 'thing'. Maybe it's your soap? Doesn't suit your skin type, or not have enough 'slide and glide'?
Keep the bronze...you will want it one day.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
In addition to soap and blade as mentioned above, technique is another critical factor. That razor is so smooth. And yet it is quite a bit more efficient than people give it credit for. I also have sensitive skin, and it took me a while to learn how to shave with efficient razors. Give it a few more shaves, and you will hopefully be rewarded. Good luck.

Just a thought...but how's your soap?
I ask because a few years ago I bought a stainless Timeless .95 OC. Plus I also bought the .68 OC baseplate.
After a few shaves to trial both plates I (foolishly) sold the .95 OC plate. It had too much bite, too much 'face feel' for me.
Yet, I've been shaving for 55+ years.
Well, my soaps were crap. I just bought the cheapest junk I could find, and the cheapest blades (Derby and Bolzano...and I will never again let a Bolzano near my lovely face).
A soap is a soap, and a blade is a blade I figured.
All my razors were mild (Techs mainly, a Muhle R89, and a Mamba 52).
Only when I joined a few forums and read guys saying about their lovely soaps, great shaves with x blade...but not with y blade, etc did I realise what I had been missing.
Upped my game...bought better blades, bought better soaps (lots of lovely soap!).
Now using Stirling (Black Cherry at the moment 'cos I like the scent).
Suddenly the mild razors were pussies.
Bought a new WR2 1.15 DC (SB/OC) and sold it as too mild for me now.
Bought a new Timeless .95 OC plate again...love it. Smooth and close shaves.
Bought a new stainless Karve with SB plates #C to #G. Now my usual plate is the #F, with the #G for 'special occasions'.
Getting a Blackbird OC (arriving soon).
So, maybe...just maybe it's not a razor or blade 'thing'. Maybe it's your soap? Doesn't suit your skin type, or not have enough 'slide and glide'?
Keep the bronze...you will want it one day.
Great advise and thanks for sharing your journey. I love how this hobby gets better and better as we explore. I exclusively used a Merkur 34C with Wilkinson blades from Walgreens and Van der Hagen soap for the first 5-6 years. Then my whole world opened up.

Top Bottom